1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Classical mechanics textbook

1. Sep 26, 2015 #1
    Hi guys
    I'm searching for a good undergraduate physics textbook on classical mechanics that might has an intro to langranzians and Hamiltonians, that I could tackle right now.
    I'm actually getting through apostol calculus 1 (just reached partial derivatives).
    I want it to be hard to follow ,but short and rigorous .
    Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2015 #2
    I personally like 'Classical Dynamics' by Greenwood. It is pretty short but has very nice insights.

Are you learning calculus for the first time? Because if that's the case almost all good classical mechanics texts will be hard to follow.

4. Sep 26, 2015 #3
    That's the case

5. Sep 26, 2015 #4
    Oh ok, maybe take a look at Greenwood if you can get it online and see how you handle it. I can't think of a classical machanics book that has Lagrangians and Hamiltonian dynamics which doesn't rely heavily on calculus, I doubt it's possible to write a book like that, but maybe a more knowledgeable member will have a better suggestion.

6. Sep 26, 2015 #5
    It doesn't have to cover lagranzians and hamiltonians if that's not possible

7. Sep 26, 2015 #6
    I've been told that Kleppner and Kolenkow is the best CM text that doesn't cover Lagrangians and Hamiltonians. Good questions and coverage of material.

8. Sep 27, 2015 #7
    I already own Halliday resnick both volumes on physics (first Ed ) but are they worth reading

9. Oct 2, 2015 #8

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have come across many such books, you are spoilt for choice.

10. Oct 2, 2015 #9
    This is the first time I have heard someone ask if Halliday and Resnick are worth reading. They are just about the best selling science textbooks in USA possibly the world for about 3 generations. Almost no practicing physicists have not learned from those books, or copycats that take the same order of subjects, the same techniques and the same approaches.

11. Oct 3, 2015 #10

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

However, getting back to the first post in this thread, Halliday & Resnick (like other first-year university level physics textbooks) do not cover Lagrangians and Hamiltonians. Neither does Kleppner & Kolenkow, as already noted.

I got my introduction to Lagrangians and Hamiltonians many years ago from Fowles, which is now Fowles & Cassiday. My colleagues here who have taught intermediate-level mechanics courses have used both Marion and Symon (not at the same time of course!).

12. Oct 4, 2015 #11
    i'll probably go through halliday-resnick then
    thank's for your help

13. Oct 6, 2015 #12
    It is not written in S.I
    Is that going to be a problem?

14. Oct 7, 2015 #13

jtbell

Do you mean SI units (meter, kilogram, etc.)? I haven't used H&R in a long time, but I'm pretty sure they use SI, at least most of the time. Maybe for some problems they use feet, pounds, etc.

15. Oct 7, 2015 #14
    I own the 2nd edition of the book
    It only refers to a system called cgs
    But I think,most of the times they use feet,lb's etc.

16. Oct 10, 2015 #15

jtbell

Halliday, Resnick and Krane ("Physics"), or Halliday, Resnick and Walker ("Fundamentals of Physics")?

For either one, I think the second edition is likely to be very very old, and may well use different units than the current editions. What is the copyright year on your copy?

17. Oct 10, 2015 #16
    Physics(two volumes) by halliday resnick is the title of the books,
    in both volumes the copyright year is 1966

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted