Solve Classical Mechanics Homework Statement

In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of showing 4 quantities as constants and how to solve it using partial and total derivatives. The problem was resolved by evaluating the partial derivative and using the Hamiltonian partial derivatives to find the total time derivatives.
sebb1e

Homework Statement

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/3014/classicalmechs.jpg

I'm fine until showing that those 4 things are constants.

Homework Equations

dxj/dt=dh/dpj and dpj/dt=-dh/dxj

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't show they are constant, for example, can someone show me where I'm going wrong here for p1-0.5bx2:

d(p1-0.5Bx2)/dt=d(p1-0.5Bx2)/dxj*dh/dpj+d(p1-0.5Bx2)/dpj*(-dh/dxj)
=-0.5B*dh/dp2+(-dh/dx1)
=-0.5B(2p2-2eA2)+(eBp2+0.5e^2Bx1)

I think I'm fine on the last part as long as I can assume the constants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There seems to be a mistake in the problem statement as the units don't work out. The product eA has units of momentum, yet the problem asks about p1-Bx2/2. The second term has units of momentum/charge. You should be looking at the quantity p1-eBx2/2.

I think your problem is you're mixing up partial and total derivatives. You should have

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\left(p_1-\frac{1}{2}eBx_2\right) = \dot{p_1} - \frac{1}{2}eB\dot{x_2} = \frac{\partial H}{\partial x_1}-\frac{1}{2}eB\dot{x_2}[/tex]

Evaluate the partial derivative and write [itex]\dot{x_2}[/itex] in terms of [itex]p_2[/itex], and you should find everything cancels.

Thanks, that works perfectly.
I presume my mistake lay in partial dxi/dt (and pi) not being equal to the Hamilton partial derivatives.

Yes, exactly. The partial derivatives of the Hamiltonian give you total time derivatives, not partial time derivatives.

It appears that you are on the right track with your solution. In order to show that the four quantities are constants, you will need to use the Hamilton's equations of motion, which are dxj/dt=dH/dpj and dpj/dt=-dH/dxj. These equations relate the time derivatives of the position and momentum variables to the Hamiltonian, which is a constant in time. Additionally, you can use the fact that the Hamiltonian is a function of the position and momentum variables, so dH/dxj and dH/dpj are also constants. This should help you to show that the four quantities are indeed constants.

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of macroscopic objects in motion, under the influence of various forces and energy. It is based on Newton's laws of motion and is used to describe the motion of objects at speeds much slower than the speed of light.

2. What are some common examples of classical mechanics in everyday life?

Some common examples of classical mechanics in everyday life include the motion of a car, a ball falling to the ground, a pendulum swinging back and forth, and a person walking. These all involve the principles of classical mechanics, such as inertia, acceleration, and forces.

3. How do you solve a classical mechanics homework statement?

To solve a classical mechanics homework statement, you need to follow a systematic approach. First, identify the physical principles at play, such as Newton's laws or conservation of energy. Then, draw a free-body diagram to visualize the forces acting on the object. Finally, use equations and mathematical calculations to solve for the unknown variables.

4. What are some common challenges students face when solving classical mechanics problems?

Some common challenges students face when solving classical mechanics problems include understanding and correctly applying the physical principles, setting up the correct equations, and converting between different units of measurement. It is also important to pay attention to significant figures and rounding in calculations.

5. Are there any resources available to help with classical mechanics homework?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with classical mechanics homework. These include textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and video lectures. It is also helpful to seek assistance from a teacher or tutor if you are struggling with a particular concept or problem. Additionally, working with a study group can also be beneficial.