Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

In summary, the two composers usually kept a gun handy and nearby. Composer/performer: This composer/performer, after he died, was buried in Arlington National Cemetery, near Washington, DC, where his body remained for approximately fifty years before being sent back to his homeland.
Kenneth Mann
I don't know whether it is wise to repeat a string, but having put these together, decided to go on and put it out, so here goes:

Composers
1. Each of these two composers usually kept a gun handy and nearby. Who were they, and what was the reason in each case?
2. This composer/performer, after he died, was buried in Arlington National Cemetery, near Washington, DC, where his body remained for approximately fifty years before being sent back to his homeland. Who was he, why was he recorded the unusual preference and why did his remains stay in the US for so long? Answered correctly!
3. This composer/performer, in his younger days, performed several works which he claimed were newly discovered compositions of the masters of previous periods. It was later found that he was the actual composer. Who was he.
4. These two countrymen each died as result of accidents; one on a bicycle and the other (indirectly) after the debilitating effects of an automobile accident. Who were they?
5. Name two composers who were born on the same day of the year, but didn't like each other at all? Answered correctly!
6. Something that many people Today are unaware of, is the fact that musicians during the classical period were very accomplished improvisers, somewhat similar to Jazz musicians of Today. This particular composer, upon hearing a theme began improvising on it, resulting in a dazzling performance. After he had finished, one of the bystanders remarked that it was a shame that such a wonderful work was so fleeting, and would be forever lost - - - at which time the composer sat down and repeated the performance, note-for-note (as far as anyone could tell). Who was he? Answered correctly!

Orchestral Works
7.The composer produced this symphony, as a student at age seventeen, which was then forgotten and unpublished for almost a century. Since then, however it has become a concert favorite,and was even used in a ballet. By the way, Mozart also produced a breakout symphony at age 17, though his was not as popular as the one of our subject composer. Who was our subject composer and what symphony was it?
8. This work begins with a distorted cuckoo sound (interval of a fourth rather than the usual third). What is it and who was its composer? Answered correctly!
9. This is about a historical "rogue" with Robin Hood like characteristics, who (according to popular legend), though his "crimes" were minor by Today's standards, was tried and sent to the gallows. What is this work? Answered correctly!
10. Identify the work and its composer, about the life and exploits of a military officer who was invented in order to cover up an error made by the national leader. Answered correctly!

Opera
11. Which Operatic overture, by what composer, caused quite a stir simply because it was started with a "drum roll"?
12. What are generally considered the three most popular Operas, also sometimes referred to as "ABC"? Answered correctly!
13. A scene in what opera, by which composer, is described as taking place on a desolate plain outside New Orleans? (Huh! I didn't know there was a desolate plain anywhere near New Orleans?)
14. Which opera, by which composer, has what are essentially four overtures (three being variations of the same title)? Answered correctly!
15. A certain well-known Operatic singer, according to a protege and successor, was described as functionally, nearly blind, and to avoid embarrassing accidents during a performance, would pace off all distances on-stage before a performance. Who was this person?

For the previous string, go to:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=76412

KM

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
I'll kick off.

9. - William Tell, of Rossini's William Tell Overture?

I'll tackle the easy one (#12) - Aida, La Boheme, Carmen?

I'll have 8 too, I hope.

It's from Mahler's Symphony number 1, and it's a rather uneasy-sounding clarinet.

brewnog said:
I'll have 8 too, I hope.

It's from Mahler's Symphony number 1, and it's a rather uneasy-sounding clarinet.

Correct!

KM

rachmaninoff said:
I'll tackle the easy one (#12) - Aida, La Boheme, Carmen?

Correct!

KM

Was William Tell right?

brewnog said:
I'll kick off.

9. - William Tell, of Rossini's William Tell Overture?

Actually, William Tell is considered a national hero in Switzerland (whether he actually lived notwithstanding).

The person referred to in #9 was a thief and one who enjoyed embarrassing those in power. Folklore has him being executed, but many believe that not to have been the case, rather that he might have died of the plague or a similar fate.

KM

brewnog said:
Was William Tell right?

He wasn't sent to the gallows. I think the answer to #9 is Till Eulenspiegel, the hero of Richard Strauss' tone poem of that name.

And #14 is Fidelio, by Beethoven. The overtures are known as the Leonora Overtures number 1, 2, etc.

Last edited:
brewnog said:
Was William Tell right?

It was not what I had in mind.

KM

3. This composer/performer, in his younger days, performed several works which he claimed were newly discovered compositions of the masters of previous periods. It was later found that he was the actual composer. Who was he.

That was Heifitz.

Classical music - my greatest weakness.

I'll try the easiest one of the lot : ABC = Aida, Barber of Seville, Carmen

selfAdjoint said:
He wasn't sent to the gallows. I think the answer to #9 is Till Eulenspiegel, the hero of Richard Strauss' tone poem of that name.

Correct!

selfAdjoint said:
And #14 is Fidelio, by Beethoven. The overtures are known as the Leonora Overtures number 1, 2, etc.

Again Correct. Leonora #1, #2 and #3 and Fidelio!

selfAdjoint said:
That was Heifitz.

Correct instrument, different performer, one a bit older than Heifetz. Actually Heifetz and many other violinists have played his works.

KM

Gokul43201 said:
Classical music - my greatest weakness.

I'll try the easiest one of the lot : ABC = Aida, Barber of Seville, Carmen

See 'rachmaninoff' above.

KM

Educated guess for #10:
Lieutenant Kije, by Stravinski?

Kenneth Mann said:
See 'rachmaninoff' above.

KM
Oops! But La Boheme is cheating ! :cry:

Also, incidentally Stravinsky has two birthdays because the Russian Orthodox calendar had a one-day offset with the rest of the world until it eventually conformed with the Gregorian calendar. Can't recall the details, but the upshot is that Stravinsky and a bunch of other folks at his time had two birthday parties each year...lucky lot, them ! :rolleyes:

zoobyshoe said:
Educated guess for #10:
Lieutenant Kije, by Stravinski?

Correct composition, incorrect composer!

KM

Kenneth Mann said:
Correct composition, incorrect composer!
Prokofiev!

I read a story very similar to #6 in GEB- J.S. Bach?

Gokul43201 said:
Oops! But La Boheme is cheating ! :cry:

Not really; ABC is how people in the Opera world often refer to them. If you refer to the use of "La", remember that Rossini's title for The Barber of Seville starts with "Il" (Il Barbiere di Siviglia).

Gokul43201 said:
Also, incidentally Stravinsky has two birthdays because the Russian Orthodox calendar had a one-day offset with the rest of the world until it eventually conformed with the Gregorian calendar. Can't recall the details, but the upshot is that Stravinsky and a bunch of other folks at his time had two birthday parties each year...lucky lot, them ! :rolleyes:

Interesting! America had the same problem until around the time of George Washington when the switch was made from the Julian to the Gregorian calendar. As I recall being told, several days were lost (or was that gained?).

KM

zoobyshoe said:
Prokofiev!

Correct!

KM

honestrosewater said:
I read a story very similar to #6 in GEB- J.S. Bach?

Bach lived during the later Baroque period, here we are looking for someone from the late classical period.

KM

No. 6 - Beethoven?

Kenneth Mann said:
Bach lived during the later Baroque period, here we are looking for someone from the late classical period.
I've never read that particular story, but both Mozart and Beethoven were good enough at improvisation to have repeated one note for note, and they both were alive during the late classical period, although Beethoven morphed things over into the Romantic era.

Kenneth Mann said:

KM
Oh, I missed that part. I guess it won't hurt me to guess Mozart then.
Edit: Do you mean the earlier Baroque period or do I know less than I think?

Last edited:
He means late Baroque (I think).

rachmaninoff said:
No. 6 - Beethoven?

Correct!

KM

zoobyshoe said:
I've never read that particular story, but both Mozart and Beethoven were good enough at improvisation to have repeated one note for note, and they both were alive during the late classical period, although Beethoven morphed things over into the Romantic era.

No disagreement on any of those. Many claim Beethoven as the impetus/inspiration for the Romantic period, however when asked, Beethoven would vehemently deny any Romantic tendencies.

KM

honestrosewater said:
Oh, I missed that part. I guess it won't hurt me to guess Mozart then.
Edit: Do you mean the earlier Baroque period or do I know less than I think?

Not Mozart this time, but a good guess.

rachmaninoff said:
He means late Baroque (I think).

Regarding the lifetime of Bach, relative to the others, let's figure it out:

Bach: 1685 - 1750
Mozart 1756 - 1792
Beethoven 1770 -1826

(J. S. Bach's son Johann Christian Bach, from whom Mozart got much of his inspiration, was not a lot older than Mozart.)

Many of the Romantic composers were born during the period from 1810 to 1840.

Oh, I interpreted it as meaning the Baroque period which was later than the Classical period. I knew I shouldn't have jumped in this thread. :rolleyes:

honestrosewater said:
Oh, I interpreted it as meaning the Baroque period which was later than the Classical period. I knew I shouldn't have jumped in this thread. :rolleyes:

Placing of these periods is largely subjective, however as an approximate reference the following are taken from the "Dictionary of Music" (1973) by Theodore Karp:

Baroque: 1600 - 1750
Rococo: 1710 - 1775
Classical: 1750 - 1820
Romantic 1820 - 1910

KM

"Classical Music" is an infrequently challenged misnomer used to designate all the artistically more serious music penned from around medieval times to the present. The actual "Classical" period in music is just a short part of that timeline.

Kenneth Mann said:
Bach: 1685 - 1750
Mozart 1756 - 1792
Beethoven 1770 -1826

Beethoven died in 1827
Mozart died in 1791

marlon

#2 Ignacy Jan Paderewski:

"When Germany attacked Poland in 1939 and President I. Moscicki hastened to Romania, Paderewski was asked to succeed him, but declined because of ill health. In January 1940, he became president of the new Polish Parliament-in-Exile. In December 1940, he went to the United States and died in New York City on June 29, 1941.
Upon receiving word of Paderewski's death, President Franklin D. Roosevelt called the State Department and asked that the department inform Paderewski's family and officials of the Polish embassy that Paderewski's body could be given a temporary resting place in the vault of the Mast of the USS Maine Monument in Arlington National Cemetery. President Roosevelt said, "He may lie there until Poland is free." "

Military District of Washington - Fact Sheet: Ignacy Jan Paderewski
Address:http://www.mdw.army.mil/fs-p35.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
<h2>What is the purpose of saying "Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it."?</h2><p>The purpose of saying "Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it." is to express gratitude and appreciation to someone who has enjoyed or appreciated something you have done or said.</p><h2>Why is it important to express gratitude?</h2><p>Expressing gratitude is important because it shows the person that their actions or words have made a positive impact on you. It also strengthens relationships and encourages kindness and positivity.</p><h2>How do you respond when someone says "Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it."?</h2><p>A simple response to "Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it." could be "You're welcome, I'm glad you liked it!" or "It was my pleasure, thank you for your kind words."</p><h2>What are some alternatives to saying "Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it."?</h2><p>Some alternatives to saying "Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it." could be "I appreciate your feedback!" or "I'm happy that you found it enjoyable."</p><h2>Is it important to acknowledge when someone says "Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it."?</h2><p>Yes, it is important to acknowledge when someone says "Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it." as it shows that you have heard and recognized their appreciation. It also allows for further positive interactions and strengthens the relationship between you and the person.</p>

What is the purpose of saying "Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it."?

The purpose of saying "Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it." is to express gratitude and appreciation to someone who has enjoyed or appreciated something you have done or said.

Why is it important to express gratitude?

Expressing gratitude is important because it shows the person that their actions or words have made a positive impact on you. It also strengthens relationships and encourages kindness and positivity.

How do you respond when someone says "Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it."?

A simple response to "Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it." could be "You're welcome, I'm glad you liked it!" or "It was my pleasure, thank you for your kind words."

What are some alternatives to saying "Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it."?

Some alternatives to saying "Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it." could be "I appreciate your feedback!" or "I'm happy that you found it enjoyable."

Is it important to acknowledge when someone says "Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it."?

Yes, it is important to acknowledge when someone says "Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it." as it shows that you have heard and recognized their appreciation. It also allows for further positive interactions and strengthens the relationship between you and the person.