Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical music recommendations

1. Jan 21, 2008 #1
    I want some violin and maybe flute. Please recommend me some artists or CDs.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2008 #2
    Nigel Kennedy Vivaldi's four seasons :approve:

4. Jan 22, 2008 #3
    Hmm...that's too general. Do you prefer orchestral, chamber or solo works? For flute, I can recommend Mozart's concerto (also the one with Flute and Harp) and the quartets. As for the violin, the repertoire is vast. Some of my favourite works for the violin are Tchaikovsky, Beethoven and Bach's concerti, and also some short fancy pieces like Saint-Saens' Introduction and Rondo Capriciosso, Sarasate's Carmen Fantasy, etc.. These are all works for violin and orchestra. There are tons of violin sonatas (violin and piano) and works for the solo violin, like Bach's sonatas and partitias.

I'm not good with artist recommendations, since I haven't heard many versions enough number of times to give a useful answer.

5. Jan 22, 2008 #4
    The best violin I have heard is 24 caprices by nicolai paganini, paganini violin concertos 1 and 2 and spring by vivaldi.You may also like Fritz Krysler and beethoven's violin concerto.
    All of these are lively and reasonably light pieces.

6. Jan 22, 2008 #5
    Perhaps check out André Rieu

typical example:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  7. Jan 22, 2008 #6
  8. Jan 22, 2008 #7
    i like it fast and cutting...sort of like Akim^^

9. Jan 22, 2008 #8
    That's Vivaldi then, the summer in the four seasons

10. Jan 23, 2008 #9

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

My Mum and I always watch recordings of his performances when we are together. So fun!

11. Jan 23, 2008 #10

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

Like Brahms violin, 3rd movement?

I like the other suggestions made in this thread, too.

12. Jan 23, 2008 #11
    Nice but usually in staccato violin works there is not too much dynamics in sound levels, contrary to Beethovens Violin concerto, my favorite.

13. Jan 23, 2008 #12

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

Beautiful. I had thought to post Beethoven's Violin too, and still got sucked into watching it again!
    Should include this, then. I am sure it is from a movie that I was sat in frount of when I was an infant, and loved it even back then!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFaq9kTlcaY&feature=related

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  14. Jan 23, 2008 #13
    Okay, then get this. I don't have the CD, but Heifetz is quite the master. Here he is performing Saint-Saens. And fast and cutting usually involves Paganini also. During his time people thought that he had sold his soul to the devil in exchange for his violin-playing skills! Recently I was recommended this CD. I haven't heard it, but it's supposed to contain some "fiendishly difficult" pieces for the violin. (Or the violinist, rather.)

Also, do yourself a favour by listening to Tchaikovsky's violin concerto. While I agree that Beethoven's is a sublime work, it's not quite as "exciting." The finale of the Tchaikovsky is just amazing...here's a preview. But I recommend that the work be heard in its entirety - it's the bestest!

15. Jan 26, 2008 #14
    Definitely Tchaikovsky. Also try Debussy :)

16. Jan 27, 2008 #15
    Vivaldi - La Notte

17. Jan 27, 2008 #16
    If you like Paganini you may also like to try Rachmaninov, he's my personal favourite. He's not as "flutey", but his piano more than makes up for it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?