Classical music recommendations

• Thread starter AFG34
  • Start date
I want some violin and maybe flute. Please recommend me some artists or CDs.

Nigel Kennedy Vivaldi's four seasons :approve:

Hmm...that's too general. Do you prefer orchestral, chamber or solo works? For flute, I can recommend Mozart's concerto (also the one with Flute and Harp) and the quartets. As for the violin, the repertoire is vast. Some of my favourite works for the violin are Tchaikovsky, Beethoven and Bach's concerti, and also some short fancy pieces like Saint-Saens' Introduction and Rondo Capriciosso, Sarasate's Carmen Fantasy, etc.. These are all works for violin and orchestra. There are tons of violin sonatas (violin and piano) and works for the solo violin, like Bach's sonatas and partitias.

I'm not good with artist recommendations, since I haven't heard many versions enough number of times to give a useful answer.

The best violin I have heard is 24 caprices by nicolai paganini, paganini violin concertos 1 and 2 and spring by vivaldi.You may also like Fritz Krysler and beethoven's violin concerto.
All of these are lively and reasonably light pieces.

Perhaps check out André Rieu

typical example:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's Vivaldi then, the summer in the four seasons

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member
i like it fast and cutting...sort of like Akim^^
Like Brahms violin, 3rd movement?
I like the other suggestions made in this thread, too.

Nice but usually in staccato violin works there is not too much dynamics in sound levels, contrary to Beethovens Violin concerto, my favorite.

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member
Last edited:
i like it fast and cutting...sort of like Akim^^
Okay, then get https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000003FIX/?tag=pfamazon01-20. I haven't heard it, but it's supposed to contain some "fiendishly difficult" pieces for the violin. (Or the violinist, rather.)

Also, do yourself a favour by listening to Tchaikovsky's violin concerto. While I agree that Beethoven's is a sublime work, it's not quite as "exciting." The finale of the Tchaikovsky is just amazing...here's a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO28Ck1193w". But I recommend that the work be heard in its entirety - it's the bestest!

Definitely Tchaikovsky. Also try Debussy :)

Vivaldi - La Notte

If you like Paganini you may also like to try Rachmaninov, he's my personal favourite. He's not as "flutey", but his piano more than makes up for it.