Classical music recommendations

In summary, Nigel Kennedy recommends the following artists and CDs: Mozart for flute, Beethoven for violin, Bach for violin, and Tchaikovsky for violin concerto. He also recommends listening to the work in its entirety.
AFG34
I want some violin and maybe flute. Please recommend me some artists or CDs.

Science news on Phys.org
Nigel Kennedy Vivaldi's four seasons :approve:

Hmm...that's too general. Do you prefer orchestral, chamber or solo works? For flute, I can recommend Mozart's concerto (also the one with Flute and Harp) and the quartets. As for the violin, the repertoire is vast. Some of my favourite works for the violin are Tchaikovsky, Beethoven and Bach's concerti, and also some short fancy pieces like Saint-Saens' Introduction and Rondo Capriciosso, Sarasate's Carmen Fantasy, etc.. These are all works for violin and orchestra. There are tons of violin sonatas (violin and piano) and works for the solo violin, like Bach's sonatas and partitias.

I'm not good with artist recommendations, since I haven't heard many versions enough number of times to give a useful answer.

The best violin I have heard is 24 caprices by nicolai paganini, paganini violin concertos 1 and 2 and spring by vivaldi.You may also like Fritz Krysler and beethoven's violin concerto.
All of these are lively and reasonably light pieces.

Perhaps check out http://www.andrerieu.com/site/index.php?id=1&L=0

typical example:

Last edited by a moderator:
neutrino said:
Hmm...that's too general.

i like it fast and cutting...sort of like Akim^^

That's Vivaldi then, the summer in the four seasons

Andre said:
Perhaps check out http://www.andrerieu.com/site/index.php?id=1&L=0

typical example:

My Mum and I always watch recordings of his performances when we are together. So fun!

AFG34 said:

Like Brahms violin, 3rd movement?

I like the other suggestions made in this thread, too.

Nice but usually in staccato violin works there is not too much dynamics in sound levels, contrary to Beethovens Violin concerto, my favorite.

Andre said:
Nice but usually in staccato violin works there is not too much dynamics in sound levels, contrary to Beethovens Violin concerto, my favorite.

Beautiful. I had thought to post Beethoven's Violin too, and still got sucked into watching it again!
Should include this, then. I am sure it is from a movie that I was sat in frount of when I was an infant, and loved it even back then!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFaq9kTlcaY&feature=related

Last edited:
AFG34 said:
Okay, then get https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000003FIX/?tag=pfamazon01-20. I haven't heard it, but it's supposed to contain some "fiendishly difficult" pieces for the violin. (Or the violinist, rather.)

Also, do yourself a favour by listening to Tchaikovsky's violin concerto. While I agree that Beethoven's is a sublime work, it's not quite as "exciting." The finale of the Tchaikovsky is just amazing...here's a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO28Ck1193w". But I recommend that the work be heard in its entirety - it's the bestest!

Definitely Tchaikovsky. Also try Debussy :)

Vivaldi - La Notte

If you like Paganini you may also like to try Rachmaninov, he's my personal favourite. He's not as "flutey", but his piano more than makes up for it.

1. What are some must-listen classical music pieces?

There are many legendary classical music pieces that are considered must-listens. Some popular choices include Beethoven's Symphony No. 5, Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, Bach's Brandenburg Concertos, and Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture. However, the best piece for you may depend on your personal taste, so it's always worth exploring different composers and genres.

2. Can you recommend classical music for beginners?

Yes, there are many accessible classical music pieces that are perfect for beginners. Some examples include Vivaldi's The Four Seasons, Handel's Water Music, and Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite. These pieces are not too long and have catchy melodies that are easy to follow.

3. What are some underrated classical music pieces that more people should know about?

There are countless underrated classical pieces, but some that deserve more recognition include Chopin's Nocturne in E-flat major, Debussy's Clair de Lune, and Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C-sharp minor. These pieces showcase the beauty and complexity of classical music and are definitely worth giving a listen.

4. I enjoy classical music but don't know where to start exploring. Can you suggest some resources?

There are many great resources for exploring classical music, such as music streaming platforms like Spotify and YouTube. You can also check out classical music radio stations, attend local concerts, or read books on the history of classical music. Additionally, many music schools and universities offer free online courses on classical music appreciation.

5. How can I find classical music that fits a specific mood or occasion?

If you have a specific mood or occasion in mind, you can use online platforms or apps that allow you to search for classical music based on mood or genre. You can also ask for recommendations from friends or music experts, or attend live performances and ask the musicians for their suggestions. Additionally, exploring different classical music playlists or radio stations can help you discover new pieces that fit your desired mood or occasion.