Classical music

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date

wolram

Gold Member
I am trying to like it but it hurts on my nerves, all the sharp notes, tobias in
what ever, how can you like it?

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
wolram said:
I am trying to like it but it hurts on my nerves, all the sharp notes, tobias in what ever, how can you like it?
To what are you listening?!? Start with some adagios or nocturnes. :rolleyes:

Try Ralph Vaughn Williams!

Or Samuel Barber, especially his Adagio for Strings.

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am particulary fond of the Goldberg Variations by Bach. Also Mozart's Clarinet Concerto in A.

~H

wolram

Gold Member
Hootenanny said:
I am particulary fond of the Goldberg Variations by Bach. Also Mozart's Clarinet Concerto in A.

~H
Can you give me an online rendition of some thing that is not so, painful ?

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
If you stick with Mozart, your ears should not be pained. But after you have got the habit of listening to longer musical lines than pop tunes or rock anthems provide, you should branch out. I recommend for your second step, Schubert, and then some of the French late romantics (Franck, Saint-Saens) and Dvorak. All of this is as sweet on the ear as classical music gets. Oh, Smetana's The Moldau is popular with a lot of people who don't like listening to symphonies.

Have you got access to a public library? Check out their CD collection.

Or listen to an online radio station. I've been listening to Beethoven.com for the past two months and it's great!

wolram

Gold Member
neutrino said:
Or listen to an online radio station. I've been listening to Beethoven.com for the past two months and it's great!
Good idea, i will give it a try.

Evo

Mentor
What on earth were you listening to?

DaveC426913

Gold Member
wolram, you are such an enigma (I was going to say 'strange bird' but enigma is more polite).

Sometimes you seem as familiar as the guy next door, and sometimes you seem so ... alien?

I'm dying to know your story.

wolram

Gold Member
DaveC426913 said:
wolram, you are such an enigma (I was going to say 'strange bird' but enigma is more polite).

Sometimes you seem as familiar as the guy next door, and sometimes you seem so ... alien?

I'm dying to know your story.
:confused: Me, i am as common as muck, a bit scatter brained at times i
know, but alien?

wolram

Gold Member
Evo said:
What on earth were you listening to?

Tobias, thats all i heard, anyway i have had classic FM all day and must say
:uhh: i like some of it.

Evo

Mentor
Tobias Picker? I don't know how they can call that classical music, it's "contemporary classical", new music, not what one thinks of when one mentions "classical".

http://www.tobiaspicker.com/

Curious3141

Homework Helper
Try Pachalbel's Canon, very soothing.

And stay far, far away from opera - even I can't stand it.

wolram

Gold Member
Curious3141 said:
Try Pachalbel's Canon, very soothing.

My sophisticated bro goes to opera, i am sure some of those singers have a
compresd air line up the ***, how do they hold those notes so long

Evo

Mentor
Curious3141 said:
I like Madame Butterfly. It makes me cry. :cry:

wolram

Gold Member
Evo said:
Tobias Picker? I don't know how they can call that classical music, it's "contemporary classical", new music, not what one thinks of when one mentions "classical".

http://www.tobiaspicker.com/
Trust me to get it wrong.

"contemporary classical' is crap. It is not even close to the same level.

I like Dvorak 9th, From the New World.

wolram

Gold Member
cyrusabdollahi said:
"contemporary classical' is crap. It is not even close to the same level.

I like Dvorak 9th, From the New World.
:confused: You still call it the new world, i thought all these guys came from europe, or about.

You have much to learn about classical music.

The New World is the United States, because Dvorak imigrated there from his native bohemia. He liked to ride the steam engines up and down the United States.

Last edited:

wolram

Gold Member
cyrusabdollahi said:
You have much to learn about classical music.

The New World is the United States, because Dvorak imigrated there from his native bohemia. He like to ride the steam engines up and down the United States.
Well sure i have a lot to learn, i have ony just started to listen to it :uhh:
I did start a thread in history about, blast, forgot his name, but he had a
facinating life.

wolram

Gold Member
Found it, i lied it was Van Gogh.

Evo

Mentor
wolram said:
Found it, i lied it was Van Gogh.
Not many people are familiar with Van Gogh's music. :biggrin: I believe he played the nose flute.

You must remember that pieces in classical music weren't just made for the sake of just listening and enjoying the music. For some great composers, it meant more intellectual challenges and unheard melodies.

In fact, I would think of as enjoying classical music being the tiniest part of the experience. Its no brainer that some of the music won't get into you - the music was composed for a different style of audience and style, and what might be called masterpieces may be denounced easily by the public nowadays.

You really have to put yourself in the past for baroque and classical music, as some can get really hard to listen to. I can mention a couple of pieces that are really hard to listen to at first - the passions of bach, (just ANYTHING with Bach to be realistic) late string quartets of Beethoven, and for me, (contraversially(!)) everything by Mozart. The time effect is lessor in romantic music and contemporary.

So what does this mean? To get the true essence of classical music, you'll, if you don't your ears hurting, try to listen to more popular classical pieces at first, moonlight sonata, fur elise etc. (despite my disdain for it) Then move on.

Try this for a list:

Canon -> Moonlight sonata -> pathetique sonata -> appasionata sonata -> hammerklavier -> Bach solo cello suites -> Beethoven symphonies/ piano concertos -> Bach Violin partitas -> Everything by Mozart -> Everything by Bach.

Last edited:

wolram

Gold Member
Evo said:
Not many people are familiar with Van Gogh's music. :biggrin: I believe he played the nose flute.
You mean he did the boogy woogy:yuck: :smile: