Classical music

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
Bladibla said:
I can mention a couple of pieces that are really hard to listen to at first - the passions of bach, (just ANYTHING with Bach to be realistic)
It was the other way for me. I was in love with Baroque music from the instant I started to listening to it. Yes, many of them sound very similar and were restricted in many ways, and, of course, there was the "Red Priest" who wrote the same composition a hundred times (or was 400 it times?) :tongue2:. But I enjoy Baroque.

Wolram, maybe you should try the Four Seasons by Vivaldi (aka the Red Priest). Hope someone here can recommend a good performance.

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Damn. I'm too late to say anything useful. What did they say about Wagner, "The music is better than it sounds."

wolram

Gold Member
Some of this stuff i am listening to is good, trouble is they all ways rattle off
what it is and i can never catch it all.

Oh the melody by chikovski (spelling)

Rach3

Tchaikovsky, Chaikovksy, Tschaikovksky, lots of transliterations. He wrote an incredible violin concerto...

Rach3

Bladibla said:
In fact, I would think of as enjoying classical music being the tiniest part of the experience.
:frown: ...

Rach3

I shouldn't read depressing posts like that. Let me cheer myself up - Wolram, here are a few classics which I believe absolutely anyone can enjoy, without knowing anything about the art. Particularly, these are the least likely to be either boring or physically painful to your ears!

Hector Berlioz, Symphony Fantastique
P.I. Tchaikovsky, Symphony No. 5; Violin Concerto; Piano Concerto ("No. 1", usually not stated because No. 2 and No. 3 are very obscure)
Johannes Brahms, Piano Concerto no. 2; Quintet in f minor, for piano and strings
Beethoven, Symphony No. 6 ("Pastoral"); Piano sonatas op. 53 "Waldstein", op. 81a "Les Adieux", op. 109
Frederic Chopin - the Nocturnes (very short pieces), Preludes op. 28
Felix Mendelssohn - Violin Concerto
Franz Schubert - Impromptus, op. 90; op. 144
J.S. Bach - the Cello suites; the Brandenburg concerti

(This listing is not comprehensive, merely reflecting a tiny subset of the most accessible and enjoyable music ever written. This is of course, incredibly controversial. The opinions here are solely my own, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Greg B, Physics Forums, or its subsidiaries or shareholders.)

Last edited by a moderator:

wolram

Gold Member
I usually listen to a lady, i have found i like chopin all ready, i must get something to play music on, i only have a radio for entertainment.

Stay away from Shostakovich :biggrin:
(Although I personally love his music)

wolram

Gold Member
Markjdb said:
Stay away from Shostakovich :biggrin:
(Although I personally love his music)
You just made that one up :smile:

Rach3 said:
Sorry. A bit of a misunderstanding. I was meant to say 'from the composers view'