Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Music

1. May 20, 2004 #1
    I'm starting to listen to a bit of Classical Music. I'm unsure what's good so does anyone have any favorites or a site that lists great songs perhaps?

Right now I have four songs: The Requiem by Mozart, Fur Elise by Beethoven, Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven and Allegro Concerto #3 by Bach. My favorite is The Requiem if that helps determine my listening style any.

Thanks to anyone who helps me out.

Last edited: May 20, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2004 #2
    Beethoven. Sym. #7 Allegretto.

4. May 20, 2004 #3
    Bach's 3rd Brandenburg Symphony

5. May 20, 2004 #4

Njorl

Science Advisor

I believe Fur Elize was Beethoven?

Tchaichowsky is my favorite. I like his 4th, 5th, and 6th, Marche Slave, Capricci Italien and 1812 overture.

Beethoven's 9th is probably the one piece of music most often acclaimed as "the best" ever.

Orff's Carmina Buranna is very good.

Bizet's Carmen is the only Opera I like.

Lizst's Hungarian Rhapsody's are good.

I like Mahler's 5th symphony, but most people find it depressing.

Njorl

6. May 20, 2004 #5
    Fur Elise was Beethoven. Your correct, my mistake.

7. May 20, 2004 #6

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Try Schubert Trout Quintet, Beethoven Violin Concerto, Tchaikovski 4th 5th and 6th Symphonies, Rachmananov Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini.

Added. I currently have in my 5-CD player, the Partitas and Sonatas for unaccompanied violin, by J.S. Bach, and the late piano sonatas of Beethoven, played by Afred Brendel. These are old recordings remastered by Phillips. I have been digging into them and have recently been tempted to pay $139 for an online Music Theory class to understand them better and maybe move on to a Beethven Cello Sonata analysis course I also found online. Each of those is two discs. The 5th disc is a suite arranged from Prokofiev's music for the ballet Romeo & Juliet.

8. May 20, 2004 #7

Janitor

Science Advisor

Nothing heavy for me.

I keep it light with Vivaldi's Four Seasons and Pachelbel's Canon in D Major.

More often, though, I pull out my Herman's Hermits stuff. :approve:

9. May 20, 2004 #8
    I don't know the Mozart Requiem, but I don't guess it is typical since most of his music is upbeat. I happen to have a collection of all his 21 piano concertos. I never listen to them.

For beginners, you almost can't go wrong with the Beethoven 5th Symphony. It is the ultimate heavy, dramatic piece of music.

Beethoven was considered the greatest symphonist, and I agree with that. The odd numbered ones are the best: 3, 5, 7, and 9. However 6 and 8 are also not to be missed. 1 and 2 are dissapointments by comparison.

Beethoven's piano concertos are also excellent. He only wrote five. The best are 3-5. (Again, 1 + 2 are not so hot by comparison.)

Pachelbel's Canon, I agree, is a great piece for beginners. It is extremely serene and pretty and accessible.

All of the Brandenberg Concertos by Bach are wonderful. Even more accessible, though, is Handel's Water Music - a suite of extremely pleasant, funny, energetic little pieces that gets your toes tapping and brings a smile.

-Zooby

10. May 20, 2004 #9
    New World Symphony by Dvorak. It's unbelieveablely good. We played it in marching band my senior year.

11. May 20, 2004 #10

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dvorak's 7th is pretty darned good too. Some of my other favorites that others haven't mentioned are, in no particular order:

Sorcerer's Apprentice, by Dukas
    Bacchanale (from Sampson and Delilah), by Saint-Saens
    A few of the Slavonic Dances, by Dvorak.
    The Planets, by Holst
    Symphony #5, by Shostakovich
    Symphony #2, by Sibelius
    Finlandia, by Sibelius
    Symphony #8 (unfinished), by Schubert
    Pictures at an Exhibition, by Mussorgsky
    Night on Bald Mountain, by Mussorgsky
    Romeo and Juliet, by Tchaikovsky

www.classicalarchives.com is a pretty good online source for classical music.

12. May 20, 2004 #11
    I don't know about the rest of y'all but...I say it's time to start downloading.

13. May 20, 2004 #12
    Hehehehe. Yeah, there's nothing like a transcription of a good symphony for marching band!

14. May 20, 2004 #13
    Oh, hell yeah, man! I still have the sheet music. If I recall, it was the only year in my six that we've done classical.

15. May 21, 2004 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That was my mother's favorite opera, and so I also like it.

I love Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" as done by Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd in "Kill da Wabbit". :biggrin:

I have always liked Shubert's "Unfinished Symphony".

16. May 21, 2004 #15
    I'm partial to P.D.Q. Bach's "Unbegun Symphony", as well. Consists of a third and fourth movement.

17. May 21, 2004 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Zooby!! How could you not mention Rachmaninoff! He is our fellow April fool!

Dooga -Concerto #2 and symphony # 2 will be instantly recognizable to you. They have been popular as movie themes(Groundhog's Day) and even as the basis for some pop-music songs. Both are absolutely wonderful.

18. May 21, 2004 #17
    He betrayed us. Not one funny bagatelle.

19. May 21, 2004 #18

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Au Contraire! I believe he ate bagatelles on a regular basis. Didn't he live on France for a while to escape communism?
    I have heard he liked his bagatelles with raspberry jam, pickled herring, and swiss cheese. Not funny, mind you, but still amusing.

20. May 21, 2004 #19
    I really like Albinoni's funky Adagio. :D

21. May 21, 2004 #20

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And oops! sorry, that was Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini by Rachmaninoff that was used in Grounghog day.
    When you first put it on it will sound scattered and panicky and angry, but it settles down into a romantic theme.
    Rachmaninoff was manic-depressive so I guess that's why that appealed to him.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?