Classical Music

jimmy p

Gold Member
That Rachmaninov piano concerto thing. And Chopin's Raindrops.

Chi Meson said:
I agree with your asessment of the "middle" part of Goldberg; I often hit the skip button if I'm feeling impatient. But I think that anyone can be quickly pulled in by the Aria and the first 10 variations. The segue from Aria to variation 1 is without a doubt one of my favorite moments in Classical music.
Variations # 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, 20, 23, and 26 are sometimes refered to as "arabesques". These are the very fast, lively, much ornamented ones that appeal to the listener the most on the first hearing, almost regardless of the performer.

The segue from the aria to the 1st variation you are refering to must be in Gould's second recording. I have to agree that the way he did this blew me away.

The "bleak" variation is # 25, sometimes called "adagio". Of course it has the same number of bars as all the others, but the tempo is so slow and the mood so desolate, that it seems to go on forever. It took me a long time to get used to this variation. Now, I listen to it by itself sometimes, as if it were a self-contained piece.

Paganini's 24th caprice is amazing, so is this little girl's rendition of it: http://www.nathan.webrats.com/Paganini_Caprice_no_24.wmv [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

honestrosewater

Gold Member
Last edited by a moderator:
Dooga Blackrazor said:
Right now I have four songs: The Requiem by Mozart, Fur Elise by Beethoven, Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven and Allegro Concerto #3 by Bach. My favorite is The Requiem if that helps determine my listening style any.
The whole of Mozart's Requiem?? That is not a song, it is like movements in a piece. The best of the Requiem is the Confutatis, in my opinion.

The Bob (2004 ©)

For beginners to Classical music I suggest:

Ludwig Van Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata (All Movements)
Wolfgang Amedeus Mozart - Clarinet Concerto in A Major (All Movements)
Wolfgang Amedeus Mozart - Eine Kleinenacht Musik (All Movements); sorry about the spelling
Wolfgang Amedeus Mozart - Piano Concerto No.21 (Movement 2)
Rachmaninov - Variations on a Theme by Paganini (Variation 18).

These are good for a start. Then you can move on to the Beethoven Symphonies and then it is wise to move onto Liszt or Bruch.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Wolfgang Amedeus Mozart - Eine Kleinenacht Musik (All Movements); sorry about the spelling

that is the only piece of classical music i know, but I was in a job interview once and the boss was listening to it and i made a casual comment, mentioning it by name. Sometimes a little knowledge can make you look very impressive

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Here is a nice sampler CD = Classic Dreams: Music to Inspire

Disc 1
1. Antiphon: Ecce Annuntio Vobis
2. Mahler: Symphony No.5 - Adagietto
3. Satie: Gymnopedie No.1 (Arr. Debussy)
4. Fauré: Pavane
5. Holst: The Planets - Venus
6. Picker: Old And Lost Rivers
7. Debussy: Prelude To The Afternoon Of A Faun
8. Honegger: Summer Pastorale
9. Fauré: Masques Et Bergamasques - Pastorale
10. Pärt: Summa
11. Mussorgsky: Pictures At An Exhibition - The Old Castle
12. Grieg: The Wounded Heart
13. Elgar: Serenade For Strings In E Minor - Larghetto

Disc 2
1. Stravinsky: Apollon Musagete - The Birth Of Apollo
2. Barber: Adagio For Strings
3. Sibelius: The Swan Of Tuonela
4. Elgar: Enigma Variations - Nimrod
5. Debussy: Petite Suite - En Bateau (Orch. Busser)
6. Grieg: Holberg Suite - Air
7. Vaughan Williams: Fantasia On 'Greensleeves'
8. Satie: Gymnopedie No.3 (Arr. Debussy)
9. Ravel: Pavane Pour Une Infante Defunte
10. Grieg: The Last Spring
11. Massenet: Meditation (From Thais)
12. Rachmaninov: Vocalise
13. Ravel: Mother Goose - The Fairy Garden
14. Antiphon: Ecce Annuntio Vobis

Vocalise is my favorite piece in this CD, but they are all very good. Satie's Gymnopedie are great but very short.

Here is a good selection begin with:

Carl Orff - Carmina Burana (mentioned in an earlier post)

Ralph Vaughn Williams - The Lark Ascending

Franz Joseph Haydn - Symphonies 93-104

Maurice Ravel - Piano Concerto in G major; Piano Concerto in D major (for the left hand); Valses nobles et sentimentales for piano (or orchestra); Sonatine for piano

Camille Saint-Saëns - Piano Concerto No. 1 in D major, Op. 17; Piano Concerto No. 2 in G minor, Op. 22; Piano Concerto No. 3 in E flat major, Op. 29; Piano Concerto No. 4 in C minor, Op. 44; Piano Concerto No. 5 ("Egyptian"), in F major, Op. 103; Wedding Cake, caprice-valse for piano & strings in A flat major, Op. 76; Africa, fantaisie for piano & orchestra in G minor, Op. 89

Claude Debussy - Suite bergamasque, for piano, L. 75; Children's Corner, suite for piano (or orchestra), L. 113; Images for piano, Set I, L. 110; Images for piano, Set II, L. 111; Arabesques for piano, L. 66; Préludes for piano, Book I, L. 117; Pour le piano, suite for piano, L. 95; Estampes, for piano, L. 100; L'isle joyeuse, for piano, L. 106; Rêverie, for piano, L. 68

Sergei Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto No. 1 in F sharp minor, Op. 1; Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Op. 18; Piano Concerto No. 3 in D minor, Op. 30; Piano Concerto No. 4 in G minor, Op. 40; Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini (Introduction and 24 Variations), in A minor for piano & orchestra, Op. 43

Gabriel Fauré - Ouverture; Pastorale; Tres Romances sans Patorles; Romance, Op. 28; Pavanes

Antonio Vivaldi - Four Seasons

Antonin Dvorak - Symphony No.8 In G Major, Op.88; Symphony No. 7 In D Minor, Op. 70; Symphony No. 9 In E Minor, Op. 95 'From The New World'

Felix Mendelssohn - The Hebrides (Fingal's Cave)- Overture; Symphony No. 3 In A Minor 'Scottish'; Symphony No. 4 in A major ("Italian"), Op. 90

Joaquin Rodrigo (Guitar) - Concerto de Aranjuez

Johannes Brahms - Hungarian Dance No. 1; Academic Festival Overture, Op. 80,

Robert Schumann - Symphony No. 1 in B flat major ("Spring"), Op. 38; Symphony No. 2 in C major, Op. 61; Symphony No. 3 in E flat major ("Rhenish"), Op. 97 ; Symphony No. 4 in D minor, Op. 120; Kinderszenen, Op. 15 - traumerei; Piano quintet In E Flat Major, Op.44; Fantasiestuke, Op. 73

Franz Schubert - Symphony No. 5 In B Flat Major; Rosamunde; Impromptu In E Flat Major; Impromptu In G Flat Major; Piano Quintet In A Major

Jean Sibelius - Symphony No. 1, for orchestra in E minor Op. 39; Symphony No. 2, for orchestra in D major, Op. 43; Symphony No. 4, for orchestra in A minor, Op. 63; Symphony No. 5, for orchestra in E-flat major, Op. 82

All of these composers can be found on 'Best of name' CD, but you might search on "Composer Name","Symphony".