Classical pendulum homework help please

In summary: It's 12:11 here and this is time for bed this is clearly the reason for this unforgivable mistake :).
rehab
Post moved from technical forums, so no template
Summary: Hi, I'm trying to solve this problem, if it's not right then please help me with a hint without solving it.

This formula is just an approximation for small values of theta, but if Vo was greater than the denominator this will lead to large values of theta and then this solution is not valid anymore, I'm not sure so I need your

Attachments

• 2022-09-22 (1).png
    2022-09-22 (1).png
    15.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 2022-09-22 (2).png
    2022-09-22 (2).png
    90.5 KB · Views: 69
Physics news on Phys.org
Your expression for ##\theta(t)## does not match the statement of the problem because ##\theta(0) \neq 0##. If I were doing this, I would come up with a ceiling for "small angle", e.g. ##\theta \leq f\pi## where ##f<1##. Then I would figure out the ceiling for ##v_0##.

kuruman said:
Your expression for ##\theta(t)## does not match the statement of the problem because ##\theta(0) \neq 0##.
Why?
the problem stated that at first, it was at rest in equilibrium!

rehab said:
Why?
the problem stated that at first, it was at rest in equilibrium!
What is ##\cos0^o##?

kuruman said:
What is ##\cos0^o##?
but it doesn't add anything because the solution theta= A cos(theta) 'let's ignore the sin term' at t =0 is
theta = A and from the problem, this is just zero.
Right?

rehab said:
but it doesn't add anything because the solution theta= A cos(theta) 'let's ignore the sin term' at t =0 is
Right?
I assume you mean ##\theta=A\cos(\omega t)##, but as @kuruman pointed out, that violates ##\theta(0)=0##. So what equation should you write instead?
rehab said:
if Vo was greater than the denominator this will lead to large values of theta
How large, exactly, and how large a value would render the solution invalid?

rehab said:
Right?
You wrote down
##\theta(t)=\dfrac{\dot{\theta}_0}{\Omega}\cos(\Omega~t).##
At ##t=0##,
##\theta(0)=\dfrac{\dot{\theta}_0}{\Omega}\cos(\Omega*0)=\dfrac{\dot{\theta}_0}{\Omega}\cos(0)=\dfrac{\dot{\theta}_0}{\Omega}*(1) =\dfrac{\dot{\theta}_0}{\Omega}.##

The result is not zero.

kuruman said:
You wrote down
##\theta(t)=\dfrac{\dot{\theta}_0}{\Omega}\cos(\Omega~t).##
At ##t=0##,
##\theta(0)=\dfrac{\dot{\theta}_0}{\Omega}\cos(\Omega*0)=\dfrac{\dot{\theta}_0}{\Omega}\cos(0)=\dfrac{\dot{\theta}_0}{\Omega}*(1) =\dfrac{\dot{\theta}_0}{\Omega}.##

The result is not zero.
Oh, yeah I just realized that I inadvertently wrote down the cos function where it should be the sin function instead, is it right now?
And what do think about this expression for Vo?

Attachments

• 2022-09-22 (4).png
    2022-09-22 (4).png
    155 KB · Views: 58
haruspex said:
I assume you mean ##\theta=A\cos(\omega t)##, but as @kuruman pointed out, that violates ##\theta(0)=0##. So what equation should you write instead?

How large, exactly, and how large a value would render the solution invalid?
It should be written with the sic function for some reason I wrote it with the cos function.

for Vo:

Attachments

• 2022-09-22 (4).png
    2022-09-22 (4).png
    155 KB · Views: 64
rehab said:
And what do think about this expression for Vo?
Not much. Your expression has time parameter ##t## in it which doesn't make sense. You should find an expression that one can use in an actual pendulum experiment. In other words, suppose I gave you a real pendulum, with length ##L## that you measure and find it is 1.5 m. How would you proceed to find a numerical answer for ##v_0## in m/s? Show a sample calculation.

kuruman said:
Not much. Your expression has time parameter ##t## in it which doesn't make sense. You should find an expression that one can use in an actual pendulum experiment. In other words, suppose I gave you a real pendulum, with length ##L## that you measure and find it is 1.5 m. How would you proceed to find a numerical answer for ##v_0## in m/s? Show a sample calculation.
well, simply measure the initial {\theta} and then {\theta} at some stop time ##t##, then multiply the result with ##L##.
why does having ##t## as a parameter doesn't make sense?

rehab said:
why does having t as a parameter doesn't make sense?
Because you want the range of v0 for which a function of t is valid in general, not for some particular values of t.

haruspex said:
Because you want the range of v0 for which a function of t is valid in general, not for some particular values of t.
So, should I replace ##t## by theta/##L##?

rehab said:
So, should I replace ##t## by theta/##L##?
Why would you do that? That relation is incorrect. Elapsed time is not angle divided by pendulum length. I suggest that you start by finding a relation between ##v_0## and the maximum angle reached by the pendulum.

kuruman said:
Why would you do that? That relation is incorrect. Elapsed time is not angle divided by pendulum length. I suggest that you start by finding a relation between ##v_0## and the maximum angle reached by the pendulum.
It's 12:11 here and this is time for bed this is clearly the reason for this unforgivable mistake :).
well, I can't think of anything but (f*pi''maximum angle''/2*pi ''the total period'') *L.

Please get some rest, clear your head and come back later. We'll be here.

rehab said:
This formula is just an approximation for small values of theta
Right, so what is the exact formula? Can you estimate the difference?

1. What is a classical pendulum?

A classical pendulum is a simple mechanical system consisting of a mass (called the bob) suspended from a fixed point by a string or rod. It is often used as a model to study the behavior of more complex oscillating systems.

2. How is the period of a classical pendulum calculated?

The period of a classical pendulum can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period in seconds, L is the length of the pendulum in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s² on Earth).

3. What factors affect the period of a classical pendulum?

The period of a classical pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the bob, and the acceleration due to gravity. It is also affected by small factors such as air resistance and the angle at which the pendulum is released.

4. How does the amplitude of a pendulum affect its period?

The amplitude (maximum displacement) of a pendulum does not affect its period, as long as the amplitude is small (less than 10 degrees). This is known as the small angle approximation and is based on the fact that the period is only dependent on the length of the pendulum.

5. Can a pendulum be used to measure the acceleration due to gravity?

Yes, a pendulum can be used to measure the acceleration due to gravity by measuring its period and using the formula g = (4π²L)/T², where g is the acceleration due to gravity, L is the length of the pendulum, and T is the period. This method is known as the "simple pendulum method" and is accurate as long as the pendulum has a small amplitude and the effects of air resistance are minimized.