Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical phonons

1. Sep 14, 2013 #1
    The below picture is from my book's derivation on the equations describing waves in matter. But problem is: I don't understand the solution of the differential equation - or "difference" equation (whatever that is). How is it solved with the proposed solution? If I plug it in I don't get anything meaningful.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2013 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you plug it in, you get an equation that can be solved for the quantity ##Ka##, which is presumably what the text did in the next paragraph. This type of solution is logical, we can rewrite the equation as

$$ \gamma u_s = u_{s+1} + u_{s-1},$$

so it is natural to look for solutions where each term has a common factor (possibly depending on ##s##). The periodicity of the problem suggests that complex exponentials are relevant and they indeed have the property that solutions for different ##s## are multiples of one another.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook