1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical phonons

1. Sep 14, 2013 #1
    The below picture is from my book's derivation on the equations describing waves in matter. But problem is: I don't understand the solution of the differential equation - or "difference" equation (whatever that is). How is it solved with the proposed solution? If I plug it in I don't get anything meaningful.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2013 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you plug it in, you get an equation that can be solved for the quantity ##Ka##, which is presumably what the text did in the next paragraph. This type of solution is logical, we can rewrite the equation as

$$ \gamma u_s = u_{s+1} + u_{s-1},$$

so it is natural to look for solutions where each term has a common factor (possibly depending on ##s##). The periodicity of the problem suggests that complex exponentials are relevant and they indeed have the property that solutions for different ##s## are multiples of one another.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook