"Classical Physics Is Wrong" Fallacy - Comments

In summary: As we learn more about the universe, our theories will need to keep up.This is something that new theories always need to address.In summary, the new theory must explain the old stuff, but it does not mean that it will "converge" at some point to the old one. There is no connection between the two things.
Hypercube said:
I am amazed and puzzled by the amount of discussion triggered by this article, not even remotely controversial. I'd say the message of the article was pretty clear, so using all this sophistry to rip the article apart acts only to discourage the author from ever again publishing anything us laymen can understand. I know I would be.

I think only philosophers care about "truth" and "right/wrong". (And perhaps mathematicians.) As much as I love philosophy, I am starting to see why these discussions are not allowed on PF.

What sophistry? The correct point is that even though Newtonian mechanics has been shown to be wrong, it is still useful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dale said:
Again, you are making the unjustified “approximation” means “wrong” claim. In the classical domain the experimental evidence validates Newtonian mechanics.

No, it is justifiable. I agree it can be disputed, which is why I said it is a fine point, but that is the philosophical discussion I thought the mentors were trying to avoid.

The simple point is that the word choice in the Insight was poor.

Hypercube said:
I think only philosophers care about "truth" and "right/wrong". (And perhaps mathematicians.) As much as I love philosophy, I am starting to see why these discussions are not allowed on PF.

And because the discussion still seems to be focused on the word "wrong", this thread is closed.