1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Physics question!

1. Jan 26, 2009 #1
    Equation of the height of the hill
    z = 2xy - 3x^2 -4y^2 -18x + 28y +12
    z: Height of the hill
    x: Distance East
    y: distance South

Question: In which compass direction is the slope at x = y = 1 steepest?

My question: What does this suppose to mean? The vector that is tangent to that point pointing to the top of the hill? If so how do I do that?

Note: I have already calculated the critical point of the hill and the angle between the normal vector of the hill at x=y=1 and the z-axis.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2009 #2
    Take the gradient of the function where the del operator is

The gradient gives the direction of most rapid change for w = f(x,y,z). In your case, z = f(x,y).
  4. Jan 27, 2009 #3
    Gradient of z = (2y - 6x -18 , 2x - 8y +28, 0)

If I put x = y = 1 there, the answer would be (a,b,0) which is a straight line parrallel to z-axis. That doesn't make sense at all!
  5. Jan 27, 2009 #4
    When x=y=1 you get

where the unit vector x is in the East direction and unit vector y is in the South direction. This gives 22 West by 14 South. Use arctan to find the angle these two components form and this will be the direction.
  6. Jan 27, 2009 #5
    Oh so the compass lay on the horizontal direction. I thought it would be something in the z-direction too. Thanks!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?