Question: How can I calculate the steepest slope of a hill using its equation?

In summary, the equation given represents the height of a hill in terms of distance east and south. The slope at x = y = 1 can be found by taking the gradient of the function, which gives the direction of most rapid change. The resulting vector will be parrallel to the z-axis and can be used to find the angle between the normal vector of the hill and the z-axis. This angle can be used to determine the compass direction of the slope, which in this case is 22 degrees west and 14 degrees south.
Noob.com
Equation of the height of the hill
z = 2xy - 3x^2 -4y^2 -18x + 28y +12
z: Height of the hill
x: Distance East
y: distance South

Question: In which compass direction is the slope at x = y = 1 steepest?

My question: What does this suppose to mean? The vector that is tangent to that point pointing to the top of the hill? If so how do I do that?

Note: I have already calculated the critical point of the hill and the angle between the normal vector of the hill at x=y=1 and the z-axis.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the gradient of the function where the del operator is

[tex]\vec{\nabla}=\hat{x}\frac{\partial}{\partial\mbox{x}}+\hat{y}\frac{\partial}{\partial\mbox{y}}+\hat{z}\frac{\partial}{\partial\mbox{z}}[/tex]

The gradient gives the direction of most rapid change for w = f(x,y,z). In your case, z = f(x,y).

Gradient of z = (2y - 6x -18 , 2x - 8y +28, 0)

If I put x = y = 1 there, the answer would be (a,b,0) which is a straight line parrallel to z-axis. That doesn't make sense at all!

When x=y=1 you get

[tex]\vec{T}=-22\hat{x}+14\hat{y}[/tex]

where the unit vector x is in the East direction and unit vector y is in the South direction. This gives 22 West by 14 South. Use arctan to find the angle these two components form and this will be the direction.

Oh so the compass lay on the horizontal direction. I thought it would be something in the z-direction too. Thanks!

1. What is classical physics?

Classical physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a macroscopic level, meaning on a scale that is visible to the naked eye. It is also known as "Newtonian physics" and is based on the laws of motion and gravity developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

2. What are the main principles of classical physics?

The main principles of classical physics include Newton's laws of motion, the law of conservation of energy, and the law of conservation of momentum. These principles govern the behavior of objects in motion and interactions between them.

3. Can classical physics be applied to all physical phenomena?

No, classical physics is limited to describing the behavior of matter and energy at a macroscopic level. It cannot fully explain the behavior of subatomic particles or phenomena such as black holes and the theory of relativity.

4. How is classical physics different from quantum physics?

Classical physics describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum physics deals with the behavior of particles at a microscopic level. Classical physics also follows deterministic laws, while quantum physics introduces uncertainty and probability into the equations.

5. What are some applications of classical physics?

Classical physics has many practical applications, including the study of mechanics, optics, electricity and magnetism, and thermodynamics. It is used in fields such as engineering, architecture, and astronomy to understand and predict the behavior of objects in the physical world.