Classification of figure from the general equation of conics

In summary, while studying conics, the formula for classifying figures from the general equation of conics was found. The formula is dependent on the discriminant, with different values of the discriminant corresponding to different types of conic sections such as parabolas, ellipses, and hyperbolas. The formula also includes conditions for circles and lines. However, no explanation for how the result was derived was given and it was not found online. Further analysis and explanation can be found at projecteuclid.org.
sadhu
during my study on conics , I found a formula in the book regarding the classification of figure from the general equation of conics

ax2+2hxy+by2+2gx+2fy+c=0

it was given that
[itex]\Delta=abc+2fgh-af^{2}-{bg}^{2}-{ch}^{2}[/itex]

[itex]if \Delta \neq 0[/itex]
then if
[itex]h^{2}=ab...parabola[/itex]
[itex]h^{2}<ab...ellipse[/itex]
[itex]h^{2}>ab...hyperbola[/itex]

if
[itex]\Delta <0...circle ,h=0,a=b\neq 0,g^{2}+f^{2}-ac>0[/itex]

if
[itex]\Delta = 0[/itex]
if
[tex]h^{2}>=ab...line[/tex]
[tex]h^{2}<ab...unique point[/tex]

No explanation regarding the derivation of result was given
neither i could find it on net

hope someone knows it...

thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
A full analysis and explanation would require a long document so I'll give an online resource at projecteuclid.org which investigates by elementary algebra the values of ##y## as ##x## increases from ##-\infty## to ##+\infty## and the values of ##x## as ##y## increases from ##-\infty## to ##+\infty## and classifies the loci by their principal graphical properties so found.

1. What is the general equation of conics?

The general equation of conics is a second-degree polynomial equation that can be written in the form Ax^2 + Bxy + Cy^2 + Dx + Ey + F = 0. This equation represents a family of curves known as conic sections, which include circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas.

2. How do you classify a figure from the general equation of conics?

To classify a figure from the general equation of conics, you need to determine the values of A, B, and C in the equation. If A and C have different signs, the figure is a hyperbola. If A and C are both positive or both negative, the figure is an ellipse. If only one of A or C is zero, the figure is a parabola. If A and C are both zero, the figure is a circle.

3. What are the key properties of conic sections?

The key properties of conic sections include the shape of the figure, the location of the center, the major and minor axes, the eccentricity, and the focus and directrix for non-circular conics. These properties can be determined from the general equation of conics by manipulating the coefficients.

4. How can I graph a conic section using the general equation?

To graph a conic section using the general equation, you can first manipulate the equation to determine its properties. Then, plot the center point and any other key points, such as the vertices or foci. Finally, connect the points to create the curve of the conic section.

5. What real-world applications use conic sections?

Conic sections have many real-world applications in engineering, physics, and astronomy. Some examples include satellite orbits, the design of telescopes and antennas, and the construction of bridges and buildings. They are also used in the fields of optics, mechanics, and computer graphics.