1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classification of groups

1. Jan 10, 2008 #1
    I was wondering about the classification of groups with a certain number of subgroups. I (sort of mostly I think maybe) get the ideas behind classification of groups of a certain (hopefully small) order, but I came across a question about classifying all groups with exactly 4 subgroups, and I have no clue whatsoever how to even begin.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, any (nontrivial) group has at least two subgroups: itself and the subgroup consisting of only the identity. Moreover, a subgroup of a subgroup is a subgroup of the original group. Another thing you might find helpful is Cauchy's theorem.

4. Jan 12, 2008 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

sylow's theorem says there is a subgroup of order p^k whenever p is prime and p^k divides the order of the group. so groups of order pq seem to satisfy the condition. where p and q are prime. but there canniot be more than two factors of the order of the group, and there cannot be a factor occurring to a power higher than 2? or could a group of order p^3 possibly work? seems unlikely........

5. Jan 12, 2008 #4
    Yeah, I think groups of order pq work. Also, I think a cyclic group of order p^3 works...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?