Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classification of PDE

1. Nov 12, 2011 #1
    Suppose you have a PDE with an arbitrary number of independent variables (not necessarily two), and of order n. Is there a nice classification akin to the hyperbolic, parabolic, etc.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2011 #2

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

There is, it's to do with the Monge cone (I think). I also am informed that there are equations which have no classification.

4. Nov 13, 2011 #3
    This surprises me. Is this because forming a general classification system its more complicated than I imagine, or just that doing so serves little to no purpose?

5. Nov 13, 2011 #4

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

It depends if you're saying is there a classification system for second order PDEs in n variables or if there is a classification system for PDEs with order n derivatives.

6. Nov 13, 2011 #5
    Either really... Second order with n variables, or n order with 2 variables (or n order with m variables).

7. Nov 13, 2011 #6

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

For second order equations in n variables, then it's to do with the Monge cone, with the other case I am not too sure as I am not an expert in this topic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook