1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classification of reactions

1. Apr 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello,
    I'm trying to learn how to classify reactions. I want to know how do I tell ionization, self protolysis and hydrolysis.

2. Relevant equations

NH4(aq) + H20(l) <--> NH3(aq) + H30(aq)+ This is hydrolysis why? How does it differ from this hydrolysis.
    CO32-(aq) + H20(l) <--> HCO3-(aq) + OH-(aq) I don't understand.

Can you please give me examples of how to classify each reaction asked about?
    Thanks
    j

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I would not call it hydrolysis, just dissociation. Produced proton attaches to the water molecule.

Here water molecule is split into H+ and OH-.

Trick is, hydrolysis means slightly different things in different contexts. On a general level hydrolysis means "decomposition by reaction with water". Apparently there is no compound decomposition in the case of dissociated carbonate - there is a reaction with water, in which it is water that decomposes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted