Classifying critical points

In summary, the professor used a method for classifying critical points in an elementary Calculus course. The method involves understanding the shape of the graph and identifying local and absolute extrema. This method can be found in the Second Partial Derivative Test.
Hjensen
Hello,

I had a lecture in an elementary Calculus course today, and the professor used a method for classifying critical points which I can't see in my book (Calculus, a complete course, by Adams). Basically he had the function

[itex]f(x,y)=x^2+2y^2-4x+4y.[/itex]

He found a critical point at (2,-1) - I have no problem understanding this part. However, he classified it as a local (and absolute) minimum because the function [itex]f(x,y)[/itex] would diverge for [itex]x^2+y^2\to \infty[/itex]. Where does this method come from and where can I read about it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hjensen said:
Hello,

I had a lecture in an elementary Calculus course today, and the professor used a method for classifying critical points which I can't see in my book (Calculus, a complete course, by Adams). Basically he had the function

[itex]f(x,y)=x^2+2y^2-4x+4y.[/itex]

He found a critical point at (2,-1) - I have no problem understanding this part. However, he classified it as a local (and absolute) minimum because the function [itex]f(x,y)[/itex] would diverge for [itex]x^2+y^2\to \infty[/itex]. Where does this method come from and where can I read about it?
Think of a parabola in 2D. If it opens up, it has an absolute min at the vertex right?

Think of a cubic. It has local or relative max and mins but at the end points it goes on to infinity so there is no absolute.

If you understand the shape of your graph, you can identify these points.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_partial_derivative_test

What is a critical point?

A critical point is a point on a graph where the derivative is equal to zero or does not exist. It is also known as a stationary point because the tangent line at that point is horizontal.

Why is classifying critical points important?

Classifying critical points is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function and its graph. It also allows us to determine whether the point is a maximum, minimum, or saddle point.

What are the different types of critical points?

There are three types of critical points: maximum points, minimum points, and saddle points. A maximum point is a point where the function reaches its highest value, a minimum point is a point where the function reaches its lowest value, and a saddle point is a point where the function changes from increasing to decreasing or vice versa.

How do you classify a critical point?

To classify a critical point, we use the second derivative test. First, we find the second derivative of the function and then plug in the critical point. If the second derivative is positive, the point is a minimum point. If the second derivative is negative, the point is a maximum point. If the second derivative is zero, the test is inconclusive and we have to use other methods to classify the point.

What is the significance of classifying critical points in real-world applications?

Classifying critical points is important in real-world applications because it allows us to find the maximum and minimum values of a function, which can be useful in optimization problems. It also helps us understand the behavior of a function and make predictions based on its graph.