Classifying Groups of Order pq²

• Thread starter AKG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary, the conversation discusses the classification of groups of order qp², where p and q are primes with q < p and q ł (p-1). It is determined that if G is an abelian group with |G| = qp², then there are two possibilities: Zp x Zpq and Zqp². The remaining groups can be classified by considering the groups of the form K xψ H, where |H| = p², |K| = q, and ψ : K → Aut(H) is a homomorphism. It is shown that if H has an element of order p², it is cyclic and |Aut(H)| = φ(p²) = p(p-1).
AKG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Let p and q be primes with q < p, and q ł (p-1). If G is a group with |G| = qp², then there are two possibilities if G is abelian by the fundamental theorem for finitely generated abelian groups:

Zp x Zpq and Zqp²

G has a normal Sylow-p subgroup (of order p²) and if we call it H, and call any q-subgroup K, G is isomorphic to HK, which is isomorphic to K xψ H where ψ sends any k in K to left-conjugation by k. So to classify the remaining groups of order qp², we need simply classify the groups of the form K xψ H where |H| = p², |K| = q and ψ : K → Aut(H) is a homomorphism. If H has an element of order p², it is cyclic, and |Aut(H)| = φ(p²) = p(p - 1), where φ is Euler's φ-function. p is a prime number, so q does not divide p, and q does not divide (p-1) by assumption, so |Aut(H)| has no subgroup of order q. This means that ψ maps every element to the identity, and K xψ H = K x H which is an abelian group, namely Zqp² and has already been accounted for.

If H contains no element of order p², then every nonidentity element has order p, by Lagrange's theorem. My book suggests that in this case H is necessarily isomorphic to Zp x Zp. I'd like to know why this is the case. I have found the order of Aut(Zp x Zp) to be (p - 1)(p + 1)(p² + 1) given a theorem which states that Aut(Zp x Zp) is isomorphic to GL2(Fp), the general linear group of 2 x 2 matrices with elements from the finite field of order p.

I have proven that if we have a cyclic group K (and our K is indeed cyclic) and an arbitrary group H, that semi-direct products K xψ1 H and K xψ2 H are isomorphic if ψ1(K) and ψ2(K) are conjugate. Now if q | |Aut(H)| but q² ł |Aut(H)|, then subgroups of Aut(H) of order q will by Sylow subgroups, hence they would all be conjugate. Again, if ψ2(K) = {I}, where I is the identity automorphism, then this semi-direct product is again just a direct product, giving an already-accounted-for abelian group G. Otherwise, ψ2(K) is a subgroup of Aut(H) of order q. So if I can prove that:

q | |Aut(H)| but q² ł |Aut(H)|

then there will be a unique isomorphism type for non-abelian G, and I'll be done my classification. Recall |Aut(H)| = (p - 1)(p + 1)(p² + 1) and by assumption q ł (p - 1) so it remains to see how q divides (p + 1)(p² + 1). Notice that:

(p² + 1) - (p + 1) = p(p - 1)

so if q | (p + 1) and q | (p² + 1), then clearly q | [(p² + 1) - (p + 1)], which is a contradiction, so q only divides one of (p + 1) and (p² + 1). So to complete the classification, we have to show existence by showing that either q | (p + 1) or q | (p² + 1), and show uniqueness by showing that both q² ł (p + 1) and q² ł (p² + 1).

The sentences in bold are the places where I have problems. Anybody have any suggestions as to how to solve these problems? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
|H| is p^2 and is therefore abelian it is not cyclic since there is no element of oder p^2 so it must be as stated in the first bold sentence.

How do I know H is abelian if it's order is p²? Also, would you be able to shed any light on the second problem (regarding q dividing (p + 1), etc.)? Thanks.

because it is an elemenatary problem that is done in any group theory course? (this of course means that if i am asked to prove it then i'll fail miserably, but it should be straight forward. it certainly has nontrivial centre, so wither it is abelian or it is a non abelian extension of Z_p by Z_p and they don't exist as we must be able to show easily if we tried)

matt grime said:
because it is an elemenatary problem that is done in any group theory course? (this of course means that if i am asked to prove it then i'll fail miserably, but it should be straight forward. it certainly has nontrivial centre, so wither it is abelian or it is a non abelian extension of Z_p by Z_p and they don't exist as we must be able to show easily if we tried)
Yeah, it seems that it should have a non-trivial center, but I'm not sure why. But it's center, if it is non-trivial, has order p and is normal. Any x not in Z(G) will generate <x>, a subgroup of order p intersecting the center trivially, so G = <x>Z(G). Therefore, G is isomorphic to <x> xf Z(G) where f : <x> --> Aut(Z(G)) is a homomorphism. Z(G) is isomorphic to Zp, so Aut(Z(G)) is isomorphic to Zp-1, and since p-1 and p are co-prime, f maps every element of <x> to the identity automorphism, leaving us with a direct product, and thus an abelian group (and in fact this gives us a contradiction because Z(G) would not have order p, it would have order p², i.e. Z(G) = G). But isn't it possible that Z(G) = {e}? Well, I guess not, but how do we know that this case will also lead to a contradiction?

no, the venter is abso,utely non-trivial, and that is easily deduced from the class equation (or just consider the gruop as the union of the conjugacy classes each has order dividing p^2, none has order p^2 and at least 1 has order 1, that containing the identity, the others have order p, but then p^2=|Z(G)| +p*{no of conjugacy classes with p elements} and as we noted Z(G) contains at least the identiy. it must contain other elements otherise the RHS is 1 mod p but the LHS is 0 mod p. indeed this shows that the center of any p group is nontririval and by induction that all p groups are solvable.

I just noticed that my book actually has a proof that a group of order p² is either (Zp)² or Z, but it was in a section that was supposedly covered by the other book I read so I missed it (it was given in this book simply as a corollary to the class equation). Thanks again for your help, now to figure out the second problem

Actually, the second problem is going to be more problematic than I thought:

5 doesn't divide 7-1, and 5 doesn't divide 7+1, but not only does 5 divide 7²+1, 5² divides 7²+1.

11 doesn't divide 13-1, 11 doesn't divide 13+1 and 11 doesn't divide 13²+1.

So we have a case where we have primes satisfying the hypothesis, but the smaller prime doesn't divide either of those other factors of |Aut(H)|, so we'll only have abelian groups (2 of them), and we have a case where the smaller prime does divide the order of |Aut(H)|, but that smaller prime has a power that divides |Aut(H)|, so we could have numerous subgroups of Aut(H) of order q that aren't conjugate (since they wouldn't be Sylow subgroups, so we aren't guaranteed that they're conjugate) and thus semi-direct products might gives us more than just one more non-abelian isomorphism type.

I guess the question that arises next (although it seems like it would be too much to ask) is whether we can predict in general when q will divide |Aut(H)| or not, and in those cases when it does, where we can predict if q will not divide |Aut(H)|/q, making subgroups of order q of Aut(H) Sylow subgroup, and hence conjugate, and hence ensuring that there is only one more isomorphism type (which will be non-abelian). We could also ask whether we can do any sort of classification even if q² divides Aut(H), but that seems like an even bigger task.

On the other hand, my book says, after asking me to classify groups of order 3*5², that the classification of groups of order qp² is similar. Maybe someone knows a nice way to show that cases where q doesn't divide |Aut(H)| at all and cases when q² divides |Aut(H)| are rare, or easily predictable, and that cases where qn divides |Aut(H)| are still easily classifiable. It seems like a long shot, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

the more elementary parts of your question, groups of order p^2, are discussed on page 17 of the free class notes 843.1, on the webpage below:

http://www.math.uga.edu/~roy/

1. What is the significance of "Classifying Groups of Order pq²" in mathematics?

This classification problem helps us understand the structure of groups of a certain order and provides insights into the properties and behaviors of these groups. It also has applications in various branches of mathematics, such as group theory, number theory, and algebraic geometry.

2. How do you define a group of order pq²?

A group of order pq² is a group with pq² elements, where p and q are distinct prime numbers. This means that the group has both a prime number of subgroups of order p and a prime number of subgroups of order q.

3. What is the general approach to classifying groups of order pq²?

The general approach is to find all possible combinations of p and q that satisfy the given order, and then analyze the structure of each group. This involves studying the properties of subgroups, normal subgroups, and quotient groups. The final classification is based on the isomorphism classes of these groups.

4. What are some known results of the classification of groups of order pq²?

Some known results include the existence of cyclic groups, dihedral groups, and abelian groups of order pq². It has also been shown that there are exactly two non-isomorphic groups of order pq², namely the cyclic group and the dihedral group.

5. Are there any open problems related to the classification of groups of order pq²?

Yes, there are still open problems and conjectures related to this classification problem. For example, the question of whether there exists a non-abelian group of order pq² for certain values of p and q is still unsolved. Additionally, the general classification of groups of order pq² for any two distinct prime numbers p and q is yet to be fully understood.