Classroom has 100 students -- probability of speaking a language

In summary: I will have to look for that again. In summary, there are 10 people in the classroom who speak both Spanish and Italian.
DotKite

Homework Statement

A large classroom has 100 students. 30 speak spanish, 25 speak italian, and 55 speak neither.

a). how many speak both?

b).A student who speak italian is chosen at random. What is the probability that he/she speaks spanish?

Homework Equations

P(A) = 1 - P(A[itex]^{c}[/itex])
P(U) = 1, where U with the universal set
(A[itex]\cap[/itex]B)[itex]^{c}[/itex] = (A[itex]^{c}[/itex] [itex]\cup[/itex] B[itex]^{c}[/itex])

The Attempt at a Solution

so I assume that when they say 30 speak spanish they mean only speak spanish, and the same for italian.

let S be the set of those who speak spanish and let I be the set of those who speak italian.

P(S-I) = 30/100, P(I-S) = 25/100

P(who speak neither) = 55/100

1-P(who speak neither) = P(S [itex]\cup[/itex] I) = 45/100

THen I thought that you would want to do,

P(S [itex]\cup[/itex] I) - [P(S-I) + P(I-S)] in order to get P(S [itex]\cap[/itex] I) but that comes out to be negative so I am clearly not correct. I do not know what else to do. Been on this problem for a ever now.

Last edited:
Likes aniqa
Physics news on Phys.org
DotKite said:
so I assume that when they say 30 speak spanish they mean only speak spanish, and the same for italian.
Wrong assumption.

ok then i guess you can figure this out by adding all the givens to get 110/100 and deduce that there must be 10 people who speak both spanish and italian. However I was wondering if anyone could show me how to do this with sets? or just a more elegant way?

DotKite said:
ok then i guess you can figure this out by adding all the givens to get 110/100 and deduce that there must be 10 people who speak both spanish and italian. However I was wondering if anyone could show me how to do this with sets? or just a more elegant way?

You have |S|=30, |U|=100, etc.
You want |S∩U|.
The key equation to relate cardinality to unions and intersections hinges on the notion of disjoint union: |A| = |A∩B| + |A∩Bc|
Try it from there.

DotKite said:

Sketch a Venn diagram.

DotKite said:

How on Earth can you have 110 people in a group of 100? The fact that you have numbers adding to more than 100 should be enough to tell you that you are on the wrong track. The fact that the question asks you to find the number of people speaking both Spanish and Italian should tell you that some speakers of Spanish also speak Italian, unlike what you assumed.

As others have suggested: draw a Venn diagram.

Ray Vickson said:
How on Earth can you have 110 people in a group of 100? The fact that you have numbers adding to more than 100 should be enough to tell you
It may not have been most clearly expressed, but I believe that is what DotKite was saying. By adding up the three numbers and subtracting 100 the number double counted (the bilinguals) is found. What DotKite was looking for next was a more algebraic approach. But that was nearly three years ago.

haruspex said:
It may not have been most clearly expressed, but I believe that is what DotKite was saying. By adding up the three numbers and subtracting 100 the number double counted (the bilinguals) is found. What DotKite was looking for next was a more algebraic approach. But that was nearly three years ago.

OK, maybe. I did not notice the "3 years" bit.

1. What is the probability that a randomly selected student from the classroom speaks a specific language?

The probability of a student speaking a specific language depends on the total number of languages spoken by the 100 students in the classroom. If all 100 students speak the same language, then the probability is 1. If only 50 students speak the language, then the probability is 0.5.

2. What is the probability that at least one student in the classroom speaks a specific language?

The probability of at least one student speaking a specific language is typically higher than the probability of a single student speaking the language. This is because there are more opportunities for a student to speak the language if they are not the only one in the classroom who speaks it. The exact probability would depend on the number of students who speak the language.

3. What is the probability that none of the students in the classroom speak a specific language?

The probability of none of the students speaking a specific language is typically lower than the probability of at least one student speaking the language. This is because the more students there are in the classroom, the higher the chance that at least one of them speaks the language. However, if none of the 100 students speak the language, then the probability would be 0.

4. How does the probability change if we know the number of students who speak a specific language?

If we know the exact number of students who speak a specific language, then the probability of a student speaking the language would be the same as the probability of randomly selecting one of those students. For example, if 20 out of 100 students speak the language, then the probability would be 0.2.

5. Can we accurately determine the probability of speaking a language in the classroom without knowing the languages spoken by each student?

No, we cannot accurately determine the probability without knowing the languages spoken by each student. The probability would depend on the number of students who speak the language, and without that information, we cannot accurately calculate the probability. However, we can make assumptions or estimates based on the total number of students and the general population's language proficiency.