Proof of Tan (theta) = 1 + (2M / m)

In summary, in the Physics 231 class (Calculus Based), a homework problem was given to prove the equation Tan (theta) = 1 + (2M / m), which involves two different masses balanced in equilibrium while hanging with 3 tension forces. The angle on either side of the smaller hanging mass is 45 degrees and the angle identified as theta is the angle opposite of theta in the given equation. The setup involves the tension forces and the weights of the masses, and the horizontal and vertical components of these forces need to be taken into account in order to solve the problem.
daniel123
In my Physics 231 class (Calculus Based) I was given a homework problem asking me to prove the following equation. It had a picture attached but the equation was:

Tan (theta) = 1 + (2M / m)

The two (m) represent different masses balanced in equilibrium while hanging with 3 tension forces none of which are connected to the other mass. If you need anymore information just post what you need below. Thank you.

|
/ |
/ |
| / (theta)
| /__________
| \ M
\ /
\ /
45 Degrees \ / 45 Degrees
______|______
|
m

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you find your own image comprehensible? I don't.

First, describe the situation properly!

The two (m) represent different masses balanced in equilibrium while hanging with 3 tension forces none of which are connected to the other mass.

1. What is M? One of the two m's?
2. "balanced in equilibrium": By means of what??
Some sort of weight?
3. "while hanging with 3 tension forces none of which are connected to the other mass." Eeh?
First, are there any ropes in the image providing the tension?
Is each mass connected to 3 ropes?

And what, precisely, is the angle?

Is this the setup?

[tex]
Tan (\theta) = 1 + (\frac{2M}{m})
[/tex]

-Dave

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    3.3 KB · Views: 485
Probably!
Or, at least, congrats that you managed to get more sense out of OP's description than I did.

Poncho said:
Is this the setup?

[tex]
Tan (\theta) = 1 + (\frac{2M}{m})
[/tex]

-Dave

That is the setup, yes. The angles on either side of the smaller hanging mass are both 45 degrees. Sorry my drawing got messed up during the post. On my problem the angle identified as theta is the angle opposite of theta in yours.

Last edited:
looking at the knot that holds up m,
you find from x: T_left = T_middle ;
vertical T components total = mg.

The vertical component of T_right
has to hold up all of M and ½ of m.
(do you see the m+2M hiding?) :tongue2:

Now write the horizontal Sum(F) =0.

Last edited:

What is the proof of tan(theta) = 1 + (2M / m)?

The proof of tan(theta) = 1 + (2M / m) is a mathematical derivation that shows the relationship between the tangent of an angle theta and the masses of two objects, M and m, in a gravitational system. It is often used in physics and astronomy to calculate the gravitational force between two objects.

Why is this equation important?

This equation is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of objects in a gravitational system. By knowing the masses of two objects and the angle between them, we can calculate the gravitational force between them and make predictions about their motion.

How is this equation derived?

This equation is derived using the concept of gravitational force and the definition of tangent. By equating the gravitational force between two objects to the tangent of an angle, we can solve for the value of tangent and derive the equation tan(theta) = 1 + (2M / m).

What are the assumptions made in this proof?

The proof of tan(theta) = 1 + (2M / m) assumes that the objects in the gravitational system are point masses (i.e. they have no physical size) and that the gravitational force follows the inverse-square law. It also assumes that the angle theta is measured between the center of mass of the two objects.

How is this equation used in real-world applications?

This equation is used in many real-world applications, such as calculating the gravitational force between celestial bodies, determining the orbits of planets and moons, and designing spacecraft trajectories. It is also used in everyday situations, such as calculating the force between two people or objects on Earth due to gravity.