Determining the Right Reaction: 2 H_2S + O2

• Thread starter katchum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a chemical reaction and the potential implications of using the wrong reaction. The dew point of S_2 is also mentioned, with the OP questioning why it is not commonly referenced on the internet. The importance of knowing the mole fraction and pressure of the gas phase is also highlighted.
katchum
I have a rather uneasy question:

Is the reaction the following?

2 H_2S + O2 = S_2 + 2 H_2O

or

2 H_2S + O2 = 2S + 2 H_2O

The dewpoint of S = 440 °C, but on my sketch I see the catalytic reactors are processed at 520 K = 250 °C which would mean that sulphur would become liquid again at that temperature, damaging the catalysts.

So I think the first reaction is the right one.

But: everywhere on the internet they speak of S and not S_2. Does someone know for sure which is the right reaction?

And what's the dew point of S_2? I can't find it anywhere on the internet.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't see how the OP can say that the dew point of S is 440 C, without knowing the mole fraction and pressure of the gas phase.

1. What is the overall reaction for the reaction 2 H2S + O2?

The overall reaction is: 2 H2S + O2 → 2 H2O + 2 S

2. What type of reaction is 2 H2S + O2?

This is a combustion reaction, as oxygen (O2) is reacting with a sulfide compound (H2S) to produce water (H2O) and sulfur (S).

3. What are the reactants for 2 H2S + O2?

The reactants are 2 molecules of hydrogen sulfide (H2S) and 1 molecule of oxygen (O2).

4. What are the products of the reaction 2 H2S + O2?

The products are 2 molecules of water (H2O) and 2 atoms of sulfur (S).

5. What is the purpose of determining the right reaction for 2 H2S + O2?

Determining the right reaction helps us understand the chemical composition and properties of the substances involved, as well as predict the products and overall outcome of the reaction. This information is crucial for various industrial and scientific applications.