Simplifying Clause: A' & B' or A & B

• Thread starter EvLer
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to simplify the clause (A' or B) and (B' or A) in First Order Predicate Calculus, without using the iff operator. Various methods are suggested, such as using distributive laws or rewriting the clause as (A and B) or (A' and B'). The conversation concludes by stating that A <-> B is the simplest form.
EvLer
Hi everyone,
how can I simplify this clause to remove parenthesis:

(A' or B) and (B' or A) ?

thanks in advance.

ps: iff is not allowed :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
EvLer said:
Hi everyone,
how can I simplify this clause to remove parenthesis:

(A' or B) and (B' or A) ?

thanks in advance.

ps: iff is not allowed :frown:
What are A and B? Is this logic, set theory, probability, ??

A and B are "literals" as the book refers to them or n-ary predicates.
Sorry, should have specified: it's First Order Predicate Calculus. This isn't really an excersize. It's just that I saw that logical equivalence
A <=> B
can be rewritten as: (A -> B) and (B -> A);
further, implications (A -> B) are rewritten as: A' or B;
so if i rewrite the logical equivalence i get: (A' or B) and (B' or A)
but i was wondering if it was possible to further simplify this clause :confused:
[edit] i know how to apply distributive laws in cases like this:
(A and B) or C
or similar, but not sure how that might work in clause with 4 predicates [/edit]

Last edited:
What do you mean by "simplify"? It seems to me that A <-> B is the simplest form. You could write it as (A and B) or (A' and B')

AKG said:
It seems to me that A <-> B is the simplest form. You could write it as (A and B) or (A' and B')
well, just was curios, that's all...

Thanks!

1. What does "Simplifying Clause: A' & B' or A & B" mean?

"Simplifying Clause: A' & B' or A & B" refers to a logical statement in which two conditions, A' and B', are both required to be true, or one of the conditions, A or B, is required to be true. This is also known as a disjunctive statement.

2. How is "Simplifying Clause: A' & B' or A & B" different from a regular "A or B" statement?

"Simplifying Clause: A' & B' or A & B" is different from a regular "A or B" statement because it includes the option for both A and B to be true, rather than just one or the other. This allows for more precise and complex logical statements to be made.

3. Can you provide an example of a "Simplifying Clause: A' & B' or A & B" statement?

An example of a "Simplifying Clause: A' & B' or A & B" statement would be: "A person must be at least 18 years old and have a valid driver's license to rent a car, or they must be at least 25 years old." This statement requires both conditions, being 18 years old and having a valid driver's license, to be true, or the alternative condition, being 25 years old, to be true.

4. How is "Simplifying Clause: A' & B' or A & B" used in scientific research?

In scientific research, "Simplifying Clause: A' & B' or A & B" can be used to establish and test multiple conditions for a hypothesis or experiment. It allows for more precise and specific criteria to be set, leading to more accurate results and conclusions.

5. What are the benefits of using "Simplifying Clause: A' & B' or A & B" in logical statements?

The benefits of using "Simplifying Clause: A' & B' or A & B" in logical statements include the ability to express complex conditions and criteria, leading to more accurate and precise statements. This can be particularly useful in scientific research, where precision and accuracy are crucial.