1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clausius-Clapeyron Equation, and Cubic Unit Cells

1. Feb 9, 2004 #1
    1. Acetone has normal boiling point of 56.5 oC, and heat of vaporization of 32.0 kJ/mol. Find the boiling point at 580 mmHg.

2. Given element, its structure and density, find its atomic radius in pm. Cr, body centered cubic, 7.19 g/mL.

Well, as for question 1, I'm totally stumped. Everytime I try to go about doing any problem like this, my brain locks up. I think I just don't have a firm understanding of the idea.

Number 2, well, umm...again, same as above. I really just don't understand anything. It's pretty frustrating. So if someone could help me pleaseeeee, I will become their slave.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2004 #2
    I've thought about the first question a bit more.

Is [tex] \frac{lnP_2 - lnP_1}{\frac{1}{T_2} - \frac {1}{T_1}} = - \frac{\Delta H}{R} [/tex] what I'm looking for?

4. Feb 9, 2004 #3
    I'm not crazy, talking to myself am I?

Anyways, regarding the second question.

First I have to determine the mass of a single unit cell.

I believe, this is found by determining the molar mass of Cr, then converting it to amu's. Since there are 2 nuclei in a body centered cubic cell, it would be 2x Molar Mass(in amu) correct?

Now, in order to determine the actual radius, I need to use density fomrula. [tex] V_{unit cell} = \frac {m_{unit cell}}{d} [/tex]

But first I convert mL into cubic whats? I forget...oh well. Anyways, from there, I convert to picometers, then I take the cube of this number, which is "s". But I can't use this yet. Sooooo, I use [tex] \frac {\sqrt{3}s}{4} = r [/tex].

Someone please verify these?

5. Feb 12, 2004 #4
    Is no one going to reply to this? Or should I post these in chemistry forum?

6. Feb 12, 2004 #5

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're doing fine --- you got the concepts --- at that point, it becomes an exercise in arithmetic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?