1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clausius-Clapeyron equation

1. Nov 19, 2005 #1
    I know that the relationship between pressure and temperature for an ideal gas is linear. The relationship between vapor pressure and temperature for a liquid, however, is exponential. To make it linear we take the natural log and end up with: [tex] \ln P = -\frac{\Delta H_{vap}}{RT} + b [/tex]. How did we get [tex] -\frac{\Delta H_{vap}}{RT}[/tex] to be the slope? The y-axis is [tex] \ln P [/tex] and the x-axis is [tex] \frac{1000}{T} [/tex].

Last edited: Nov 19, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2005 #2
    anybody have any ideas?

4. Nov 20, 2005 #3
    I'm not sure what your question really is but if you plot lnP vs 1000/T the slope will be

[tex] -\frac{\Delta H_{vap}}{1000 R} [/tex]
  5. Nov 20, 2005 #4

Science Advisor

The slope will be whatever -Hvap/RT is divided by to get the x axis. If I have y=ab and I plot y vs b, the slope is a. If I plot y vs a, the slope is b. The only (theoretical) way you will get -Hvap/RT as the slope is if you plotted lnP vs 1, but this doesn't make any sense. So in conclusion, you will never get -Hvap/RT as your slope :smile:

Which variable are you trying to solve or prove something for?
  6. Nov 20, 2005 #5
    The slope was actually [tex]\frac{\Delta H_{vap}}{R} [/tex]. I think it was meant to be written as: [tex] \ln P = -\frac{\Delta H_{vap}}{R}\frac{1}{T} + b [/tex]

Is this correct?

7. Nov 20, 2005 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes, and assuming that we're referring to vapor pressure 1 as 1atm, b is

Last edited: Nov 20, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?