Clausius-Mossotti Equation and Dielectric Constants of Air

• Thread starter Blastrix91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Clausius
In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving air as a single molecule and the calculation of its dielectric constant using the Claussius-Mossotti equation. The conversation also included a discussion of the incorrect value of air's molar mass and an error in the form of the Claussius-Mossotti equation used. These corrections led to the correct answer for the value of air's dielectric constant.
Blastrix91

Homework Statement

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/5676/unavngivetk.png

Additional table info:

The molarmass ##M_{air}## is ##29 * 10^{-3} g/mol = 29*\frac{10^{-3}}{1000} kg/mol##
The mass density ## \rho_{air} ## is ##1.3 kg/m^{3}##
The dielectric constant ## K_{air}## is 1.00059

My teacher told me to consider the air as 1 molecule.

Homework Equations

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/1667/unavngivet2w.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my approach:

Basically it is only N we need which is molecules per volume:

[tex] N = \frac{Molecules}{V} = \frac{N_a n}{V} = \frac{m}{M_{air}} \frac{N_a}{V} = \frac{\rho_{air}V}{M_{air}} \frac{N_a}{V} = \frac{\rho_{air}N_a}{M_{air}} [/tex]

[tex] \alpha = \frac{3 \varepsilon_0 M_{air}}{\rho_{air}N_a} \frac{K_{air}-1}{K_{air}+1} [/tex]

Inserting the values:[tex]\frac{3(8.854*10^{-12})(29*\frac{10^{-3}}{1000})}{1.3(6.022*10^{23})} * \frac{1.00059 - 1}{1.00059 + 1} = 2.902 * 10^{-43}[/tex]

The answer in the back of my book says it is supposed to be: ##\alpha = 9.7 * 10^{-41}##

Can any of you guys spot where I did wrong? (The table values were some I got from my teacher and if my approach is right, then he might have wrote them wrong)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Blastrix91 said:
The molarmass ##M_{air}## is ##29 * 10^{-3} g/mol = 29*\frac{10^{-3}}{1000} kg/mol##

A quick Google check on the molar mass of air will show an error in this value.

You used
[tex] \alpha = \frac{3 \varepsilon_0 M_{air}}{\rho_{air}N_a} \frac{K_{air}-1}{K_{air}+1} [/tex]

but the denominator of ##K_{air}+1 ## does not agree with the form of the Claussius-Mossotti equation that you quoted.Also, does your answer for ##\alpha## correspond to a molecule or an atom?

Last edited:
All three things you pointed out gave me the right answer. Thank you ^^

1. What is the Clausius-Mossotti equation?

The Clausius-Mossotti equation is an empirical relationship that describes the dielectric properties of a material in terms of its molecular structure and polarizability. It is often used to calculate the refractive index of a substance.

2. How is the Clausius-Mossotti equation derived?

The equation was first proposed by Rudolf Clausius and Ludwig Boltzmann in the 19th century, and later modified by Arnold Sommerfeld and Gustav Mie. It is based on the assumption that a material's dielectric properties are determined by the polarizability of its constituent molecules.

3. What are the key variables in the Clausius-Mossotti equation?

The key variables in the equation include the refractive index of the material (n), the dielectric constant (ε), and the polarizability (α) of the molecules in the material.

4. How is the Clausius-Mossotti equation used in scientific research?

The equation has many applications in the study of electromagnetic radiation and the behavior of materials in electric fields. It is commonly used in the fields of optics, materials science, and condensed matter physics.

5. Are there any limitations to the Clausius-Mossotti equation?

While the Clausius-Mossotti equation is a useful tool for predicting the dielectric properties of materials, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the material is isotropic and does not take into account the effects of temperature, pressure, or other external factors.