Two Weeks of House Cleaning and Fixing - What to Do First?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    clean
In summary: If it's just a little bit of dirt here and there, then a quick vacuum every few weeks should do the trick. If it's a lot of dirt and the upholstery is starting to come apart, then you might need to take it to a cleaner. Again, it depends on how hard...or often...the upholstery gets dirty. If it's just a little bit of dirt here and there, then a quick vacuum every few weeks should do the trick. If it's a lot of dirt and the upholstery is starting to come apart, then you might need to take it to a cleaner.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I have 2 weeks holiday and it is all allocated to house cleaning and fixing, i have a list as long as my leg, heck knows where to start first outside work or inside, there is a mountain of rubble to clear outside and a 1/4 inch of dust inside, may be i should hope for a strong wind and open the windows, is there such a thing as a house cleaning party? i could buy some booze.
I just moved a rug and i can see the original carpet colour, there is sand on the window sills,
how the heck did that get there ,and i think all the curtains need cleaning, this is going to be like 2 weeks in hell.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay.

My house gets dusty quickly, too. Every now and then, when I can't keep up, I hire house cleaners. At first I thought it would feel strange having other people clean my house, but know what? I got over it!

Get some hired help, Woolie. It's worth it - keep your time off to yourself!

lisab said:
My house gets dusty quickly, too. Every now and then, when I can't keep up, I hire house cleaners. At first I thought it would feel strange having other people clean my house, but know what? I got over it!

Get some hired help, Woolie. It's worth it - keep your time off to yourself!

What a great idea, i can do the tidy up outside and leave the difficult stuff to some agency,
i would never of thought of that, i will get an look through yellow pages.

lisab my new hero.

Very good advice, lisab! I have a friend who owns a cleaning service and has several women working for her. They arrive equipped for about any clean-up problem, and they are fast and thorough. They clean lots of offices after-hours, including the medical practice I once worked for, and they often clean private homes during the day.

May be when my house is pristine i can get a work plan organised, it just knowing when the jobs need doing, i mean things get dirty gradually and one does not notice, so on average how often would one,

Clean a carpet
wash curtains
clean upholstery
Polish wood, like skirting boards, dido rails.

Dido rails are stupid as you have wall paper top and bottom of them and any grime will likely transfer to said wall paper when one polishes them.

Last edited:
I was able to open windows today for the first time, and with real sunligh pouring, I see the dust! Maybe I should just close the windows?

wolram said:
May be when my house is pristine i can get a work plan organised, it just knowing when the jobs need doing, i mean things get dirty gradually and one does not notice, so on average how often would one,

Clean a carpet
wash curtains
clean upholstery

Dido rails are stupid as you have wall paper top and bottom of them and any grime will likely transfer to said wall paper when one polishes them.

Do you mean on average how often do I? would I? or should I?
do I: once every 6 months
would I: once a month is my plan
should I: once every two weeks

tribdog said:
Do you mean on average how often do I? would I? or should I?
do I: once every 6 months
would I: once a month is my plan
should I: once every two weeks

Once every 2 weeks, my plan is all ready out the window, once a month sounds ok.

wolram said:

Clean a carpet
Depends a bit on how much traffic it gets. If you're someone who takes your shoes off every time you walk in the door and don't have too many others walking on it and no pets shedding fur all over it, then vacuuming once every 2 weeks or once a month even is usually enough...more often in areas that get dirty quickly, like near kitchens where things fall on the floor as you cook. And you could get it actually cleaned (as in shampooing or steam cleaning the carpet) once every year or two. If you have people constantly walking through with muddy feet, then it could be daily or weekly vacuuming and getting it cleaned every 6 months).

wash curtains
I don't. Mine aren't very washable. If they start looking dingy, I get new ones (I don't have expensive drapes though, so it would probably cost more to take them to a cleaner than to replace them, which is why this works best for me).

clean upholstery
Again, it depends on how hard you are on it. I very rarely clean upholstery (mostly if I spill something on it), but I also don't sit on it if I come home filthy from work. Some people do and it will get dirty sooner. The same people who steam clean carpets can usually clean things like sofas, so other than spot cleaning, you can have it done at the same time if it needs it.

I just vacuum along those when I vacuum the floors to pick up dust and cat hair (I assume by skirting boards you mean the boards down at the bottom of the wall that hides the edges of the carpet/flooring).

I think what you're calling dido rails is what we call chair rails here (about at the height of a back of a chair so it protects the wall from chairs pushed back?) Once every month or two I do a really thorough dusting of the house from top to bottom, and that's when I do those. I just use the brush attachment on the vacuum hose (the one meant for upholstery), and use it to sweep up the dust from the nooks and crannies while the vacuum sucks up the dust...keeps it from settling right back onto stuff. I use that for dusting shelves and fireplace mantles and anything else that needs dusting too. Much easier than getting out polishing cloths if you don't need to actually polish the surfaces (I only end up polishing things like coffee tables and end tables that tend to get more dirty from stuff being put down on them).

Woolie, you can do some REALLY fast effective dusting if you will locate some cleaning cloths made from micro-fiber. There's no point in cleaning and polishing chair rails when you can swipe them with a dry micro-fiber cloth and pick up every bit of dust. When you're done, throw the cloth in the laundry and it'll be ready to go again. They are wonderful for cleaning PC monitors.

Another tip: The most versatile solution for cleaning windows, mirrors, stove-tops, counter-tops etc is a 50:50 mix of Isopropyl alcohol and water. Fill a spray bottle with that and clean away! It's cheap and effective and it doesn't leave residue or streaks. Stuff that is not too soluble in water often yields to alcohol, so this is a really effective solution.

Last edited:
Some good thinking going on here,
Buy cheapish curtains
vacuum dido/ chair rails, only my vacuum is an upright one and has only a short hose at the side, i will change that as it it will not go under furniture, i will buy a cylinder type.
And i have to replace carpet with burn holes any way, so i will get a rugged short pile one.

hypatia said:
I was able to open windows today for the first time, and with real sunligh pouring, I see the dust! Maybe I should just close the windows?

Just to see if it would work, one time, I propped all the doors open, took off the screens, waited until the breeze was strong and steady, and...

turned on the leaf blower to see if it would get rid of some of the dust in those places I couldn't see ...

it worked better than I expected...

rewebster said:
Just to see if it would work, one time, I propped all the doors open, took off the screens, waited until the breeze was strong and steady, and...

turned on the leaf blower to see if it would get rid of some of the dust in those places I couldn't see ...

*cough* *cough* *cough* You should warn someone before you start up that thing indoors! :biggrin:

rewebster said:

This is just giving me ideas and is cruel, i can just imagine every thing that is not bolted down disappearing out the back door.

I got the idea from that old wives/maids/womans saying about blowing out the cobwebs

I remember reading someplace that something like 97% of the dust settles on 'top' surfaces (floor, and on top of the 'things')---that still left the other 3% on the underside of things, the walls, the ceiling, etc. that doesn't usually get 'dusted'--3% is a lot after a while if compared to, and when you compare to the amount of the dust on things and what the vacuum gets.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
Woolie, you can do some REALLY fast effective dusting if you will locate some cleaning cloths made from micro-fiber. There's no point in cleaning and polishing chair rails when you can swipe them with a dry micro-fiber cloth and pick up every bit of dust. When you're done, throw the cloth in the laundry and it'll be ready to go again. They are wonderful for cleaning PC monitors.

Another tip: The most versatile solution for cleaning windows, mirrors, stove-tops, counter-tops etc is a 50:50 mix of Isopropyl alcohol and water. Fill a spray bottle with that and clean away! It's cheap and effective and it doesn't leave residue or streaks. Stuff that is not too soluble in water often yields to alcohol, so this is a really effective solution.

I will see if can find some, never heard of them though, isopropyl alcohol where would one buy that?

rewebster said:
I got the idea from that old wives/maids/womans saying about blowing out the cobwebs

I remember reading someplace that something like 97% of the dust settles on 'top' surfaces (floor, and on top of the 'things')---that still left the other 3% on the underside of things, the walls, the ceiling, etc. that doesn't usually get 'dusted'--3% is a lot after a while if compared to, and when you compare to the amount of the dust on things and what the vacuum gets.

Well we do have some killowatt fans with 2ft blades going spare at work, we use them to cool staff down in the summer, but health and safety stopped there use, they can be ramped up to blow a gale.

Isopropyl alcohol is commonly sold as "rubbing alcohol" - pop down to your local chemist. It's really cheap in larger bottles, and if you have discount chains like Wal-Mart over there, it will be even cheaper. You'll probably find it stocked near bandages, etc, near the hydrogen peroxide.

Those two blades fans would be good blowing the dust 'out' at the door---the leaf blower was good because I could direct its high, narrowed force at specific things --in and around tables, curtains, chairs, etc.---

The very best thing I found for glass (I have a whole bunch of framed antique prints, etchings, engravings, watercolors, woodblocks, early photographs, etc.) is that Amyway Zoom. It leaves absolutely no streaks.

rewebster said:
The very best thing I found for glass (I have a whole bunch of framed antique prints, etchings, engravings, watercolors, woodblocks, early photographs, etc.) is that Amyway Zoom. It leaves absolutely no streaks.
Give the alcohol/water mix a try! When I was running an optical lab, it's the only cleaning solution we ever used. It is very effective, leaves no residue, and is gentle on optical coatings.

BTW: Never use a commercial glass cleaner on coated optics - even diluted Windex can degrade the coatings.

it's a lot cheaper than the Amway and its does work--another thing I've tried is a tablespoon of vinegar in 4 oz of water

A lot of the art I get with glass hasn't been cleaned in decades

rewebster said:
A lot of the art I get with glass hasn't been cleaned in decades
The nastier ones have been hanging over a fireplace or in a room with a coal-fired stove for decades and the very worst are those that have been in close quarters with cigarette smokers for decades. I used to handle a lot of antiques and often felt compelled to remove the backs from the frames and remove the art-work to clean the glass without risking solvents wicking to the prints/lithographs,etc. Some of the toughest were huge lithos of Civil War scenes, like battle scenes or depictions of prisons like Andersonville.

yep--that happens when you spray the glass directly--which I never do...

I spray the cleaner on a cloth, then wipe the glass with the cloth---

and yeah, most of them have to be taken apart to be thoroughly cleaned properly--plus conserved and matted with archival matting and backing.

and yes, those chromos have some great images and colors. I've got a Bierstadt engraving of the "Rocky Mountains" 1866, that I think I'll get rid of. I decided to sell of a lot of paintings and prints to have an amount ready to self-publish if I can't find a backer.

Last edited:
For cleaning things like bathroom mirrors, I use nothing but a clean wet sponge. The mirror is spotless and no streaks. The first time one of my boyfriends watched me do this he was in utter disbelief, he checked the sponge to make sure I had no cleanser on it.

Same thing with my stove and counter tops, a clean wet sponge, no cleansers. Of course I don't smoke and I don't deep fry food. The ONLY time I may use a cleanser on the stove top is if I have browned some hamburger or chicken and didn't wipe it up with a hot sponge right away. Yes a sponge rinsed in hot water will usually get rid of grease on a stove top quite well, just rinse and repeat.

The only time I really use cleanser is when I mop the floors. I probably don't need to, but do it out of habit.

Of course when my older daughter was little and drew all over the walls, a good spray cleanser to disolve the crayon was the only way to go.

I often stir-fry and saute with oils and frankly, I'm a slob when I cook. I'm meticulous in preparation and in processing canned foods, but if some fat or oil or sauce splatters around the stove-top or counters, I just let it go until I'm done cooking. Then a terry-rag and alcohol/water usually cleans everything up very quickly. I've used frequently-rinsed sponges before, but I don't like sponges around my kitchen because microbes can hide in them and I do a LOT of canning.

I prefer to use cheap washable cloths and throw them in the laundry after a single use. The alcohol/water mix kills "da bugs" while cleaning, and it's not like a washcloth-sized terry rag is going to add much load to the laundry. I'm not a real fanatic - I prefer the feel of wooden handles on my cutlery and will not switch to restaurant-approved plastic handles, but I am pretty strict about cleanliness when it comes to home-canning and much of my cooking in the summer is just that. Some deadly bugs like Listeria, only survive in oxygen-free environments, so I'm very cognizant of head-space requirements. Some bugs, like those responsible for Botulism, are prevalent in soils and can grow in canned food that has not been properly processed. In both cases, initial cleanliness is key, and attention to detail in processing is important. Nobody has ever gotten sick from eating any of my pickles, salsas, frozen foods, etc.

Sorry to derail your house-cleaning thread, Woolie. You can stop eating really hot chili-laden foods if you want to punish me. (more for me?)

I bought 4 dozen of those blue shop cloths --the red ones are too small---to clean things with. They're lintless, because I had so many, I have a few everywhere and handy.

I have a new experiment in the pot, meatless chili (sob) i forgot to buy meat,
I am a clean as i go nut in the kitchen, if any thing spills it is AGHHHHH mop it up quick,
i can not stand using multiple pots and leaving some to wash after i have finished cooking
often i wash utensils many times while cooking one dish.

Woolie, you are hopeless! You've got to sign up for the turbo-1 cooking school. Attend to FOOD details while cooking and attend to CLEANING details when the cooking is done. My wife is the same way. We tolerate spills, boil-overs, stains, etc during cooking as long as the food is tended, seasoned, and coddled to perfection in the process. Then clean. If you have spare time during cooking, you can clean if you want, but I recommend kicking back with a beer.

I need to be Turboised on so many levels in the kitchen.

turbo-1 said:
Give the alcohol/water mix a try! When I was running an optical lab, it's the only cleaning solution we ever used. It is very effective, leaves no residue, and is gentle on optical coatings.

Add a couple drops of dish detergent to it, and you have a good, safe insecticide for your plants too.

wolram said:
I need to be Turboised on so many levels in the kitchen.
My mother and my grandmother would do little spot-cleaning stuff casually if they had time, but the FOOD came first! Cleaning could always come later. Neither one ever used a spoon-caddy to keep their stove-tops or counters cleaned, and both would keep a special bowl or dish with utensils around so that they could spoon a bit of the concoction into it with the big stirring/serving spoon and sample it and tune it up. Spices and herbs are notoriously inconsistent, and you have to monitor the flavors of your dishes while cooking to get them right. This doesn't mean that you should be dipping the same spoon into your chili/spaghetti sauce over and over again - even 50 years ago, those ladies knew how to keep a sanitary kitchen.

Moonbear said:
Add a couple drops of dish detergent to it, and you have a good, safe insecticide for your plants too.

Can it fix blown head gaskets, my 200,000 mile old 106 has blown hers, if there is not a cheap fix it is a date with the crusher, she still runs ok bless her, she justs froths at the mouth.

turbo-1 said:
My mother and my grandmother would do little spot-cleaning stuff casually if they had time, but the FOOD came first! Cleaning could always come later. Neither one ever used a spoon-caddy to keep their stove-tops or counters cleaned, and both would keep a special bowl or dish with utensils around so that they could spoon a bit of the concoction into it with the big stirring/serving spoon and sample it and tune it up. Spices and herbs are notoriously inconsistent, and you have to monitor the flavors of your dishes while cooking to get them right. This doesn't mean that you should be dipping the same spoon into your chili/spaghetti sauce over and over again - even 50 years ago, those ladies knew how to keep a sanitary kitchen.

I am learning, my meatless chili turned out amazingly good, i only had black beans, tomatoes, some salami ( i do not regard that as meat) and some potatoes, the taste was all in the seasoning, and i did not wash a thing until after i ate.

Moonbear said:
I use water and dish detergent to kill ants and Japanese beetles. I never use detergent in all-purpose cleansers, though. If something requires real grease-busting power, I might use water and a palm-oil based dish detergent like Seventh Generation, but even then, I will rinse with Isopropynol/water to remove residues that could support the growth of bad bugs. Our kitchen is very tiny and modest, but I treat it like my former (paper machine and optical) labs and value cleanliness.

It may sound antithetical, but when I pick green beans, I shuttle them up to the house in small batches, never wash them, and freeze them very quickly in very thin layers on trays in our chest freezers. When frozen, I transfer them into gallon zip-lock freezer bags. When we want beans, we open a bag, grab some beans, rinse them in cool water, snap the stems and cook them. They are 100x better than any commercially-frozen green beans, and they preserve much of the texture of the fresh beans when gently steamed. They are wonderful.

I wish I could open a PF restaurant and you could all teleport here for a meal or two. Having my own garden after years of suburbia is liberating! The price of food is skyrocketing and I'm pretty darned glad that I've got a nice garden spot. I *****ed about the costs of organic materials and organic fertilizers that I needed to whip this place into shape, but it's looking like a really great investment this year.

Back