Removing Labels from Glass: A Production and Layout II Challenge

In summary: I've been using it for about a year with no problems.In summary, the label is probably an epoxy printing ink. There are several methods to remove the label without damaging the glass. The most successful so far is using a nail file.
SkepticJ
For my Production and Layout II class I need to come up with a a fictional product I'm trying to sell in the ad. Getting to the point, I want to use a http://pomwonderful.com/pomTeaHome.html" [Broken] glass as my container, but try as I might, I can't get the lable off the glass. Even with my Dremel set to full power. I don't want to use the carbide bits, I know they'll get it off, but they'll damage the glass. I have no clue what the lable is made of, never seen anything else like it. Tough, tough stuff, whatever it is. Any idea of how I can get it off without damaging the glass?
Wasn't sure which sub-forum to put this one under, if it's the wrong place, please feel free to move it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Is the "glass" actually made of glass? Have you tried a sand/bead blaster? Have to tried a dip in methanol and acetone?

Is the label glued on or painted on? To remove most glued-on labels, I get off as much as possible with an initial soak in hot water and scraping with a razor blade, then alcohol. Gokul suggested methanol, but ethanol also works on most labels...I've never tried isopropanol (rubbing alcohol), but that is usually more readily available to the average student. A good steel wool scrubbing usually takes the rest off (as long as it's glass...plastic will get scratched by steel wool). As Gokul suggested, acetone may also work if the label is painted on or has a plastic coating resistant to other solvents. In case you didn't know, a good source of that is regular nail polish remover. That will destroy a lot of plastics, so be careful where and how you use it.

If none of that works, or has already been tried, let us know what else you've already tried and as much as you can about the label itself (it's hard to tell from the photo).

If you have access to it, also try some dichloromethane. It is used in paint thinners so it might help take it off.

I would really appreciate if you could let me know whether you've found a way to remove the POM label. I love the drink and have lots of the bottles hanging around and would hate to waste them! Thanks so much!

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I've picked up a few of the suggested solvents. Yet to try them out though. I'll report the results.

The label is probably an epoxy printing ink. Good luck getting it off without marking the glass.

If it were me, I would use aqua regia and a good hood or a strong peroxide and base like NaOH and 30% H2O2 (piranah etch).

I did some internet research and found this comment on another forum:

The last system used is ACL (Applied Color Label), and it isn't likely you will get this off. The color is screen printed onto the glass by the decorator before it even gets to the distillery and then fired on. Some of the colors are ceramic and some are organic. Most if not all at BT are ceramic now, but they are working on switching to organic for Rain. I have never tried but you might be able to scrape the organic colors off with an Xacto knife because they are not quite as hard as the ceramic, but I doubt it.

Personally, I've been trying a few methods to get those POM labels off. I tried using the utility knife to scrape it off, but that doesn't really work. I use alcohol, but there was no change. My friends took a lighter and tried to somehow burn the label off, but all they did was make the glass all black, and the label dirty. I put some super glue on the label, then tried to scrape it off, in hopes that it'll somehow lift the label stuff off.

The only relative success I've had is from using a nail file (I assume some fine grained sand paper will also work) to rub the label off. The remaining area is kind of "blurred" or "smokey."

Last edited:
I found your post while i was researching the same exact thing myself (removing the pom label)

Apparently the people brewing their own beer had a solution that got rid of the ACL labels but i don't know how well it works (havent tried it myself yet was waiting on getting some feedback from them)

But apparently a cleaning solution called Star San works. If you let it sit a couple days in that it will eat off the label. Though it either has to dry for it to come off, or just fall off like rust depending on comments of people.

I figured I'd mention it if you still needed the info

Test completed. 2 days (about 46 hours) 1 oz of Star san, 2.3 gallons of water.

result: upon rubbing down the Pom Tea bottle with a few paper towels, No label remained, nothing on it at all.

Interesting, thanks.:smile: I ended up just sandblasting the label off. That frosted the glass quite nicely, but that ended up being what I actually wanted for the fictional beverage product.

What is star San? I want to make a hookah out of one of the large POM bottles, and having no labels would be awesome.

Also, How does one get random items sandblasted?

1. How do you remove labels from glass without damaging the surface?

To remove labels from glass without damaging the surface, you can use a combination of heat, oil, and adhesive remover. First, use a hairdryer to warm up the label and soften the adhesive. Then, apply a small amount of oil (such as vegetable or olive oil) to the label and let it sit for a few minutes. Finally, use an adhesive remover or rubbing alcohol to gently rub off the label residue.

2. Can I use a razor blade to remove labels from glass?

No, using a razor blade to remove labels from glass is not recommended as it can easily scratch or damage the surface of the glass. It is best to use gentle methods such as heat, oil, and adhesive remover to remove labels without causing any damage.

3. What is the best way to remove stubborn labels from glass?

If a label is particularly stubborn and won't come off with the above methods, you can try using a mixture of baking soda and water to create a paste. Apply the paste to the label and let it sit for a few minutes before gently rubbing it off with a soft cloth. You can also try using a commercial adhesive remover specifically designed for glass surfaces.

4. Can you reuse glass containers after removing the labels?

Yes, glass containers can be easily reused after removing the labels. Just make sure to thoroughly clean the glass with soap and water to remove any remaining adhesive or oil residue. You can also use a small amount of rubbing alcohol to ensure the surface is completely clean before reusing the container.

5. Is there a way to prevent labels from leaving residue on glass in the first place?

Yes, there are a few ways to prevent labels from leaving residue on glass. One option is to use adhesive-free labels that do not leave any residue when removed. Another option is to use a label remover spray before peeling off the label, which can help loosen the adhesive and make it easier to remove without leaving residue.