Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cleaner quantum gravitation?

  1. Dec 7, 2007 #1
    http://arxiv.org/abs/0711.2274

    The cosmological constant is claimed to be tamed and computable.
    Curious...

    "The Poincare' group generalizes the Galilei group for high-velocity
    kinematics. The de Sitter group is here assumed to go one step
    further, generalizing Poincare' as the group governing high-energy
    kinematics. Algebraically, this is done by supplementing spacetime
    translations with proper conformal transformations. This change in
    special relativity implies concomitant changes in general relativity
    -- yielding a de Sitter general relativity. The source current turns
    out to include now, in addition to energy-momentum, the proper
    conformal current, which appears as the origin of the cosmological
    constant. In consequence, it is no longer a free parameter, and can be
    determined in terms of other quantities. When applied to the
    propagation of ultra-high energy photons, de Sitter general relativity
    gives a good estimate of the time delay observed in extragalactic
    gamma-ray flares. It can, for this reason, be considered a new
    approach to quantum gravity."

    --
    Uncle Al
    http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
    (Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
    http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/lajos.htm#a2
     
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2007 #2

    kT

    User Avatar

    On Dec 6, 12:04 pm, Uncle Al <Uncle...@hate.spam.net> wrote:
    > http://arxiv.org/abs/0711.2274
    >
    > The cosmological constant is claimed to be tamed and computable.
    > Curious...
    >
    > "The Poincare' group generalizes the Galilei group for high-velocity
    > kinematics. The de Sitter group is here assumed to go one step
    > further, generalizing Poincare' as the group governing high-energy
    > kinematics. Algebraically, this is done by supplementing spacetime
    > translations with proper conformal transformations. This change in
    > special relativity implies concomitant changes in general relativity
    > -- yielding a de Sitter general relativity. The source current turns
    > out to include now, in addition to energy-momentum, the proper
    > conformal current, which appears as the origin of the cosmological
    > constant. In consequence, it is no longer a free parameter, and can be
    > determined in terms of other quantities. When applied to the
    > propagation of ultra-high energy photons, de Sitter general relativity
    > gives a good estimate of the time delay observed in extragalactic
    > gamma-ray flares. It can, for this reason, be considered a new
    > approach to quantum gravity."


    Whatever. Hey Al, this is for you. Check this out :

    http://arxiv.org/abs/0712.0472

    Recombination kinetics of a dense electron-hole plasma in strontium
    titanate

    A. Rubano, D. Paparo, F. Miletto Granozio, U. Scotti di Uccio, L.
    Marrucci

    We investigated the nanosecond-scale time decay of the blue-green
    light emitted by nominally pure SrTiO$_3$ following the absorption of
    an intense picosecond laser pulse generating a high density of
    electron-hole pairs. Two independent components are identified in the
    fluorescence signal that show a different dynamics with varying
    excitation intensity, and which can be respectively modeled as a
    bimolecular and unimolecolar process. An interpretation of the
    observed recombination kinetics in terms of interacting electron and
    hole polarons is proposed.

    Can you say 'new experimental paradigm'? We've been doing something
    like this with bismuth triiodide for decades. Non destructive UV
    saturation, and then let the intrinsic electronic structure sort it
    all out.
     
  4. Dec 9, 2007 #3
    Uncle Al wrote:

    > http://arxiv.org/abs/0711.2274
    >
    > The cosmological constant is claimed to be tamed and computable.
    > Curious...
    >
    > "The Poincare' group generalizes the Galilei group for high-velocity
    > kinematics. The de Sitter group is here assumed to go one step
    > further, generalizing Poincare' as the group governing high-energy
    > kinematics. Algebraically, this is done by supplementing spacetime
    > translations with proper conformal transformations. This change in
    > special relativity implies concomitant changes in general relativity
    > -- yielding a de Sitter general relativity. The source current turns
    > out to include now, in addition to energy-momentum, the proper
    > conformal current, which appears as the origin of the cosmological
    > constant. In consequence, it is no longer a free parameter, and can be
    > determined in terms of other quantities. When applied to the
    > propagation of ultra-high energy photons, de Sitter general relativity
    > gives a good estimate of the time delay observed in extragalactic
    > gamma-ray flares. It can, for this reason, be considered a new
    > approach to quantum gravity."
    >


    Cleaner...Not really. Consider the following statements.

    "There is a crucial diference between ordinary (or Poincare) and de Sitter
    special relativities. Ordinary special relativity is always restricted to
    the (at) Minkowski spacetime. This means that ordinary special relativity
    is essentially a kinematic theory in the sense that the gravitational
    effects can always be neglected. When the de Sitter group is assumed to
    govern the ultra high energy kinematics, however, spacetime cannot remain
    at because the de Sitter symmetry requires a (curved) local de Sitter
    spacetime."

    Consider for a moment all of the quantum field theory and particle physics
    we have done here on the surface of the earth. All of that was done in a
    considerable gravitational field. Why is it that we can neglect the
    effects of this field in our experiments and calculations and still get
    precise results? We can do this because of the non local curvature of
    space time. Each interaction between particles in a QFT occurs in a tiny
    little region of space-time that is locally flat. That is why all the QFTs
    we have which are formulated for flat space-time work so well.

    If this theory is correct then in the ultra relativistic regime where the de
    Sitter special relativity would take over we would have some very wrong
    results. Because in QFT's formulated for curved space-times there are
    virtual particles created and anihillated, the meaning of a vacume state
    becomes fuzzy, and a million other consequences. None of which have been
    observed in any of our experiments which by their nature involve
    interactions that are local.

    --
    ""I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. ......." A.
    Einstein
    http://www.geocities.com/hontasfx/theory.xhtml
     
  5. Dec 9, 2007 #4
    Uncle Al wrote:

    > http://arxiv.org/abs/0711.2274
    >
    > The cosmological constant is claimed to be tamed and computable.
    > Curious...
    >
    > "The Poincare' group generalizes the Galilei group for high-velocity
    > kinematics. The de Sitter group is here assumed to go one step
    > further, generalizing Poincare' as the group governing high-energy
    > kinematics. Algebraically, this is done by supplementing spacetime
    > translations with proper conformal transformations. This change in
    > special relativity implies concomitant changes in general relativity
    > -- yielding a de Sitter general relativity. The source current turns
    > out to include now, in addition to energy-momentum, the proper
    > conformal current, which appears as the origin of the cosmological
    > constant. In consequence, it is no longer a free parameter, and can be
    > determined in terms of other quantities. When applied to the
    > propagation of ultra-high energy photons, de Sitter general relativity
    > gives a good estimate of the time delay observed in extragalactic
    > gamma-ray flares. It can, for this reason, be considered a new
    > approach to quantum gravity."
    >


    Cleaner...Not really. Consider the following statements.

    "There is a crucial diference between ordinary (or Poincare) and de Sitter
    special relativities. Ordinary special relativity is always restricted to
    the (at) Minkowski spacetime. This means that ordinary special relativity
    is essentially a kinematic theory in the sense that the gravitational
    effects can always be neglected. When the de Sitter group is assumed to
    govern the ultra high energy kinematics, however, spacetime cannot remain
    at because the de Sitter symmetry requires a (curved) local de Sitter
    spacetime."

    Consider for a moment all of the quantum field theory and particle physics
    we have done here on the surface of the earth. All of that was done in a
    considerable gravitational field. Why is it that we can neglect the
    effects of this field in our experiments and calculations and still get
    precise results? We can do this because of the non local curvature of
    space time. Each interaction between particles in a QFT occurs in a tiny
    little region of space-time that is locally flat. That is why all the QFTs
    we have which are formulated for flat space-time work so well.

    If this theory is correct then in the ultra relativistic regime where the de
    Sitter special relativity would take over we would have some very wrong
    results. Because in QFT's formulated for curved space-times there are
    virtual particles created and anihillated, the meaning of a vacume state
    becomes fuzzy, and a million other consequences. None of which have been
    observed in any of our experiments which by their nature involve
    interactions that are local.

    --
    ""I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. ......." A.
    Einstein
    http://www.geocities.com/hontasfx/theory.xhtml
     
  6. Dec 9, 2007 #5
    On Dec 6, 1:04 pm, Uncle Al <Uncle...@hate.spam.net> wrote:
    > http://arxiv.org/abs/0711.2274
    >
    > The cosmological constant is claimed to be tamed and computable.
    > Curious...
    >
    > "The Poincare' group generalizes the Galilei group for high-velocity
    > kinematics. The de Sitter group is here assumed to go one step
    > further, generalizing Poincare' as the group governing high-energy
    > kinematics. Algebraically, this is done by supplementing spacetime
    > translations with proper conformal transformations. This change in
    > special relativity implies concomitant changes in general relativity
    > -- yielding a de Sitter general relativity. The source current turns
    > out to include now, in addition to energy-momentum, the proper
    > conformal current, which appears as the origin of the cosmological
    > constant. In consequence, it is no longer a free parameter, and can be
    > determined in terms of other quantities. When applied to the
    > propagation of ultra-high energy photons, de Sitter general relativity
    > gives a good estimate of the time delay observed in extragalactic
    > gamma-ray flares. It can, for this reason, be considered a new
    > approach to quantum gravity."
    >
    > --
    > Uncle Alhttp://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
    > (Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/lajos.htm#a2


    Uncle Al

    I came across this;

    http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/astro-ph/0307311

    "We present a new approach to constructing inflationary models in
    closed universes. Conformal embedding of closed-universe models in a
    de Sitter background suggests a quantisation condition on the
    available conformal time. This condition implies that the universe is
    closed at no greater than the 10% level. When a massive scalar field
    is introduced to drive an inflationary phase this figure is reduced to
    closure at nearer the 1% level. In order to enforce the constraint on
    the available conformal time we need to consider conditions in the
    universe before the onset of inflation. A formal series around the
    initial singularity is constructed, which rests on a pair of
    dimensionless, scale-invariant parameters. For physically-acceptable
    models we find that both parameters are of order unity, so no fine
    tuning is required, except in the mass of the scalar field. For
    typical values of the input parameters we predict the observed values
    of the cosmological parameters, including the magnitude of the
    cosmological constant. The model produces a very good fit to the most
    recent CMBR data. The primordial curvature spectrum predicts the low-l
    fall-off in the CMB power spectrum observed by WMAP. The spectrum also
    predicts a fall-off in the matter spectrum at high k, relative to a
    power law. A further prediction of our model is a large tensor mode
    component, with r~0.2."

    Fall
     
  7. Dec 9, 2007 #6
    On Dec 6, 1:04 pm, Uncle Al <Uncle...@hate.spam.net> wrote:
    > http://arxiv.org/abs/0711.2274
    >
    > The cosmological constant is claimed to be tamed and computable.
    > Curious...
    >
    > "The Poincare' group generalizes the Galilei group for high-velocity
    > kinematics. The de Sitter group is here assumed to go one step
    > further, generalizing Poincare' as the group governing high-energy
    > kinematics. Algebraically, this is done by supplementing spacetime
    > translations with proper conformal transformations. This change in
    > special relativity implies concomitant changes in general relativity
    > -- yielding a de Sitter general relativity. The source current turns
    > out to include now, in addition to energy-momentum, the proper
    > conformal current, which appears as the origin of the cosmological
    > constant. In consequence, it is no longer a free parameter, and can be
    > determined in terms of other quantities. When applied to the
    > propagation of ultra-high energy photons, de Sitter general relativity
    > gives a good estimate of the time delay observed in extragalactic
    > gamma-ray flares. It can, for this reason, be considered a new
    > approach to quantum gravity."
    >
    > --
    > Uncle Alhttp://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
    > (Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/lajos.htm#a2


    Uncle Al

    I came across this;

    http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/astro-ph/0307311

    "We present a new approach to constructing inflationary models in
    closed universes. Conformal embedding of closed-universe models in a
    de Sitter background suggests a quantisation condition on the
    available conformal time. This condition implies that the universe is
    closed at no greater than the 10% level. When a massive scalar field
    is introduced to drive an inflationary phase this figure is reduced to
    closure at nearer the 1% level. In order to enforce the constraint on
    the available conformal time we need to consider conditions in the
    universe before the onset of inflation. A formal series around the
    initial singularity is constructed, which rests on a pair of
    dimensionless, scale-invariant parameters. For physically-acceptable
    models we find that both parameters are of order unity, so no fine
    tuning is required, except in the mass of the scalar field. For
    typical values of the input parameters we predict the observed values
    of the cosmological parameters, including the magnitude of the
    cosmological constant. The model produces a very good fit to the most
    recent CMBR data. The primordial curvature spectrum predicts the low-l
    fall-off in the CMB power spectrum observed by WMAP. The spectrum also
    predicts a fall-off in the matter spectrum at high k, relative to a
    power law. A further prediction of our model is a large tensor mode
    component, with r~0.2."

    Fall
     
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?



Similar Discussions: Cleaner quantum gravitation?
  1. Noisy vacuum cleaners (Replies: 3)

Loading...