Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cleaning my PC

1. Nov 11, 2005 #1
    Today I decided to open up my PC's case and de-dust it. I usually do it once every 4-5 months but I've been putting it off and before today I hadn't done it for over a year... :uhh:

It took me about 20 minutes to clean all the dust out, starting with the main fan, the dust case around the fan, and then all the dust stuck in the corners of the chassis and around the cards. I recommend using compressed air to loosen the dust but I didn't have any so I had to pick with my fingers. I started with a wash cloth but had to go in with my hands to get every floating chunk of dust. :yuck:

You'd be surprised how much dust is getting circulated into your room if the inside of your PC (especially ON the fan) is dusty!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2005 #2

wolram

Gold Member

You clean inside your pc :confused: i have trouble keeping the outside of mine
    clean, the key board is a real pain with all the nooks and cranies, and i can never get a smear free monitor :grumpy:

4. Nov 12, 2005 #3

Mk

I never clean mine. Works just fine.

5. Nov 12, 2005 #4
    In my work we have high pressured cans of air for doing that

6. Nov 12, 2005 #5
    Air? Bah, windolene's the stuff to clean computer hardware with.

7. Nov 12, 2005 #6

wolram

Gold Member

I thought that was for cleaning windows :bugeye: on second thoughts maybe
    if i give my mo bo a good windolenre clean it will be bug free :smile:

8. Nov 12, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I send mine to NASA so they can just toss it in a windtunnel.

9. Nov 12, 2005 #8
    Well the term debugging did come from when people had to go into those fat old valve computers and literally get rid of all the bugs that had flown in. I'm sure some windolene would have been of invaluable use compared to norton antivirus :tongue:

10. Nov 12, 2005 #9
    I thought you were suppsed to wear a heavy wool sweater and wiggle around in your chair for five minutes before touching anything inside the computer cabinet.:wink:

11. Nov 12, 2005 #10

Mk

Ow that hurt! :frown: edward i hate you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?