Mysterious Fluorescent Yellow Reaction with Dettol Antibacterial Spray

In summary, the person wants to know what might have caused the fluorescent yellowing of their Dettol spray. They think there might have been something on the tap that reacted with the spray, and they are looking for an answer in the form of a product MSDS. They also think it might have been something that turned the spray fluorescent yellow, like a dye.
julietta
Hello,

I was wondering if someone knew what product/chemical could turn the clear Dettol antibacterial spray fluorescent yellow. I sprayed some Dettol onto a bit of kitchen towel and wiped my tap with it and the Dettol on the kitchen towel instantly turned fluorescent yellow.

I tried it again a few minutes later but it didn't do it again. Clearly there must have been something on the tap that either was fluorescent yellow (I really doubt it...) or something that reacted with the Dettol. But what could it have been?

Any ideas?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What have you used to clean the tap before applying the spray?

Nothing, I only ever use my Dettol spray :-/

You didn't even wash it with a water and some kind of detergent?

I don't want to even try to imagine how it must look like if that's the way you treat it ;)

This sounds to me more like you have something on the faucet that is being dissolved in the Dettol. I have used dyes before, where it is very difficult to see a spilled bit of dye, but when wiping up the spill, you suddenly see lots and lots of color!

This is actually how the first synthetic dye (Mauve) was discovered. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_William_Henry_Perkin

Some natural pigments will also change color when exposed to different pH (indicators) -- If your cleaner is alkaline it may be taking something that is near colorless and making it bright-bright. There was a funny story of a chemsitry teacher with a beard who had eaten some food (with turmeric). His students noticed the yellow in his normally snow-white beard and laughed at him. He went to wash the stuff out with soap (alkaline), and the color became a very bright, day-glo orange! Here is a Youtube video showing this (minus the beard):

Here is the link to the turmeric beard anecdote:
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/ed072p540

Quantum Defect said:
This sounds to me more like you have something on the faucet

That's exactly why I asked about what happened prior to applying the spray.

Thank you all so much for your replies! vemvare, it's the Dettol Surface Cleanser, at the bottom of the list.
Borek, yes I just use the spray straight onto the appliances. Shouldn't I? Oops!
Quantum Defect, thank you for the funny story and the video, very interesting. Maybe there was some kind of spice on my tap, it is a possibility.

1. What causes the mysterious fluorescent yellow reaction when Dettol Antibacterial Spray is used?

The fluorescent yellow reaction is caused by a chemical reaction between the active ingredient in Dettol Antibacterial Spray, chloroxylenol, and the fluorescent dye used in the product. When these two substances mix, they create a fluorescent yellow color.

2. Is the fluorescent yellow reaction harmful?

No, the fluorescent yellow reaction is not harmful. It is simply a chemical reaction and does not pose any health risks.

3. Can the fluorescent yellow reaction be prevented?

The fluorescent yellow reaction cannot be prevented as it is a natural chemical reaction. However, it can be minimized by using less Dettol Antibacterial Spray or diluting it with water.

4. Does the fluorescent yellow reaction affect the effectiveness of Dettol Antibacterial Spray?

No, the fluorescent yellow reaction does not affect the effectiveness of Dettol Antibacterial Spray. The active ingredient, chloroxylenol, is not affected by the reaction and will still kill bacteria and germs as intended.

5. Are there any other products that can cause a fluorescent yellow reaction like Dettol Antibacterial Spray?

There are other products that may cause a similar reaction, as they also contain fluorescent dyes. These include laundry detergents, hand soaps, and some cleaning products. However, the reaction may vary depending on the specific ingredients in each product.