Cleaning Zn sprayed on PP film

In summary, the conversation discusses various methods for cleaning Zn (zinc) sprayed on PP (polypropylene) film without damaging its surface. The options mentioned include mechanically cleaning and cutting, using PVC shrinkable tube, and dissolving the zinc with acids. However, the use of chemicals is forbidden and there are concerns about residue left behind. Suggestions are made to consult with a Chemist and explore alternative mechanical methods.
jn_b7
TL;DR Summary
PP film cleaning
Motor run capacitors (air conditioning)?How to clean Zn sprayed on PP film? Try to clean mechanically and cut(trim). Do you have any idea? Can’t use any oil and forbidden to damage surface.
You can see cutted barrier(between 2 windings) on images. Image M10 is sprayed(not cutted sample).
Variants of mechanically cleaning not OK(not fully cleaned).

Attachments

• IMG_8799.JPG
    IMG_8799.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_8800.JPG
    IMG_8800.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_8801.JPG
    IMG_8801.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_8795.JPG
    IMG_8795.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 385
  • M10.JPG
    M10.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 380
Engineering news on Phys.org
Also i try to do cover from PVC shrinkable tube. I cut a piece of tube 3 mm high(high of barrier).Then sprayed(6 atm pressure plasma spraying). Then remove tube. I recived only outer side without Zn.
So not completely clened too. How to clean 2 sides from Zn?:rolleyes:

Zinc is dissolved by both Sulfuric and by Hydrochloric acids. The reaction releases Hydrogen gas which is explosive, so take care with plenty of ventilation and no nearby ignition sources. Other acids will also dissolve Zinc but some of the released reaction products are even more dangerous.

Best if you talk to a Chemist regarding what gets left behind and if the residue will be a problem for your application.

Lots of info found with: https://www.google.com/search?&q=dissolve+zinc+in+acid

Cheers,
Tom

Likes jn_b7
Sorry, but chemicls metods is forbidden by EU directives. Also i can damage partially Zn layer.
So may be some mechanical one. I try to clean by metal brush, clean some very liitle but it's very hard...

1. How do I remove Zn spray from PP film?

There are a few different methods for removing Zn spray from PP film. One option is to use a mild detergent solution and gently scrub the affected area. Another method is to use a solvent, such as isopropyl alcohol, to dissolve the Zn spray. It is important to test any cleaning solution on a small, inconspicuous area of the film first to ensure it does not cause damage.

2. Can I use a pressure washer to clean Zn spray off of PP film?

No, it is not recommended to use a pressure washer to clean Zn spray off of PP film. The high pressure can damage the film and potentially cause it to tear or break. It is best to use a gentle cleaning method, such as scrubbing with a mild detergent solution.

3. Will cleaning Zn spray off of PP film affect the film's properties?

In most cases, cleaning Zn spray off of PP film should not significantly affect the film's properties. However, it is always best to test a small area first to ensure there is no adverse reaction. Additionally, repeated or harsh cleaning may cause some wear and tear on the film over time.

4. How can I prevent Zn spray from sticking to PP film in the first place?

One way to prevent Zn spray from sticking to PP film is to apply a release agent, such as a silicone spray, to the film before spraying. This can help prevent the Zn from adhering to the film. Additionally, ensuring the film is clean and free of any oils or residues can also help prevent adhesion.

5. Is it safe to handle Zn spray and PP film without protective gear?

While Zn spray is not typically considered hazardous, it is always best to take precautions when handling it. This may include wearing gloves and eye protection. Additionally, handling PP film with bare hands may leave oils or residues on the film, which could affect the adhesion of the Zn spray. It is best to handle both the Zn spray and PP film with care and avoid direct contact with bare skin.