1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clear Acrylic CD-ROM covers?

1. Jan 4, 2008 #1
    Hello,
    I'm planning to build a new rig and I want most of my components to be clear. Does anyone have any info on where I can get cd-roms with a clear casing and floppy drives with a clear cover also? I've actually found a psu with a clear casing so I'm sure there's other components such as cd-roms. I've also found a mouse and a keyboard. Thanx In Advance!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would have thought a clear CDROM drive is unlikely.
    The laser in a CD is quite bright, to make the equipement Class I ( ie. eyesafe) you have to ensure that the user cannot see the laser.
    In theory you could make it out of a plastic that absorbed 905nm while transmitting visible but that would be very expensive and you would have a job persuading the certifiction authorities.

Do you want a floppy drive these days?

4. Jan 4, 2008 #3
    Damn! I didn't even think about that. The laser is pretty hazardous. Well, I figured a clear case was possible because they sell the front bezels for the cd-roms. You are also right about the floppy drives. LOL!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?