News Clear Channel

Clear Channel....

I know that it isn't really current news but I have heard quite a bit of bad press in regards to Clear Channel. Alot of it seems to be embellished from what I have gathered. There seem to be two main complaints.

One: Clear Channel is partisan and it's radio news, among other media, is biased.
I for one know that their news/talk radio does not carry a consistant political slant. There are and have been multpile liberal hosts on their station KFI which I listen to often. Also I don't understand why such a complaint would be valid. They cater to their listeners to keep their stations successful and if the majority of their listeners are conservatives then what is wrong with them airing predominantly conservative shows? Really, who else listens to AM talk radio anyway?

Two: Clear Channel are a large corperation that are only looking to increase profits.
Can you point me to one that isn't? This second complaint even seems to fly in the face of the accusation of partisanship in their media. They constantly run surveys and numbers to make sure they are appealing to their audience and do what ever is necessary to change format to appeal more to their target demographic in order to keep up profits.
There are here and there some well founded accusations, mostly it seems regarding billboards. There are also accusations of unfairly treating the artists who utilize their entertainment venues. I'm not sure if these are very well founded but I can easily see over coming this problem by not using their venues... just a thought.
One I have to definitely take exception with is the idea that they hold a monopoly in radio. They are definitely the biggest company in the business but they really only hold approximately 10% of the industry. Is that really a monopoly?

What does everyone else think of Clear Channel and what have you heard and/or read about them?

Pengwuino

Gold Member
Clear Channel?

Sounds like an alcoholic beverage....

You seriously have never heard of Clear Channel? Did you hear about the hoopla over the billboard with Bush on it?

Pengwuino

Gold Member
I vaguely remember someone talking about the "clear channel" being political but beyond that, I didnt even know it was going to be a radio station. And what billboard, what happened now thats probably happened 100x in the past in just a slightly less dramatic fashion?

SOS2008

Gold Member
We should be able to obtain news without any idea whether there is a conservative of liberal slant. Some reporters in some media still achieve this, in that you can't be sure what party you think they belong to. That means they are doing a good job.

As for ratings and how profits have destroyed balanced news, I am very concerned about recent attempts to take over NPR and PBS--the last sources of programing that are not as affected by advertisement sponsors.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
I think i should setup a liberal news network in san fran and then a conservative one somewhere in georgia. Id be a millionaire in no time!

Pengwuino said:
I think i should setup a liberal news network in san fran and then a conservative one somewhere in georgia. Id be a millionaire in no time!
Yeah... or you could just, y'know, sell your soul. Same thing really.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
TheStatutoryApe said:
So whats all the fuss? Its a private corporation. What happened to freedom of speech?

And whats the big deal? All billboards require permits so just go down to the hall of records and find out who owns the billboard. Shouldn't be that hard.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
Smurf said:
Yeah... or you could just, y'know, sell your soul. Same thing really.
Aren't all business based off giving what people want? Not my fault people jump over eachother just to hear the latest crap that agrees with them. I'll even have a disclaimer every 30 minutes! "This is a political channel. Im only saying what you want me to say. Its your fault im rich"

SOS2008 said:
We should be able to obtain news without any idea whether there is a conservative of liberal slant. Some reporters in some media still achieve this, in that you can't be sure what party you think they belong to. That means they are doing a good job.

As for ratings and how profits have destroyed balanced news, I am very concerned about recent attempts to take over NPR and PBS--the last sources of programing that are not as affected by advertisement sponsors.
I agree, it would be nice, but appearantly it's not what the majority of people who listen to AM talk radio want. Any one who is working for profit has to work with what people want. I think that if people really wanted more balanced news there would be more of it.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
TheStatutoryApe said:
I agree, it would be nice, but appearantly it's not what the majority of people who listen to AM talk radio want. Any one who is working for profit has to work with what people want. I think that if people really wanted more balanced news there would be more of it.
See, this is what im saying. If you dont like it, turn it off. I mean if all of a sudden a radio stations ratings dropped to 10% of its normal value, advertisers probably won't want to fund them anymore.

Its fairly obvious that the only reason we get the crap we do is because apparently, thats what we want.

Pengwuino said:
So whats all the fuss? Its a private corporation. What happened to freedom of speech?

And whats the big deal? All billboards require permits so just go down to the hall of records and find out who owns the billboard. Shouldn't be that hard.
Airwaves are not free. They are owned by the people of the USA and are distributed by the government with a right to broadcast and are subject to government control.

Ever hear of 'Payola'?

http://www.salon.com/ent/clear_channel/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Pengwuino

Gold Member
The Smoking Man said:
Airwaves are not free. They are owned by the people of the USA and are distributed by the government with a right to broadcast and are subject to government control.
The airwaves are not billboards.

Pengwuino said:
Aren't all business based off giving what people want? Not my fault people jump over eachother just to hear the latest crap that agrees with them. I'll even have a disclaimer every 30 minutes! "This is a political channel. Im only saying what you want me to say. Its your fault im rich"
..... :rofl: Wanna be partners? I can handle the canadian chain. :biggrin:

Pengwuino

Gold Member
Smurf said:
..... :rofl: Wanna be partners? I can handle the canadian chain. :biggrin:
I knew you'd come over to my side :devil: :devil: :devil:

Pengwuino said:
I knew you'd come over to my side :devil: :devil: :devil:
Well I'm already going to hell for not believing in god. Mine as well do it properly. :biggrin:

Pengwuino said:

There is more to it than that really. There are places where Clear Channel offices have effected lobbies in regards to Billboard advertising and supposedly used unethical practices to these ends in order to make more profits. From what I have read it isn't just *****ing and moaning so I'll agree that they have a point there in regards to those particular offices involved in those particular incidents.
This Billboard I don't think there is a problem with. Yeah maybe some people don't want to be reminded who the president is but like you said it's freedom of speech. I just pointed this example out because I figured you would have heard about it.

Pengwuino said:
The airwaves are not billboards.
Why do you persist in clouding issues?

All activities of a broadcaster are subject to the same government regs when they are registered as a broadcaster.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
The Smoking Man said:
Why do you persist in clouding issues?

All activities of a broadcaster are subject to the same government regs when they are registered as a broadcaster.
Did you make it your job to question or oppose anything someone you dont like says? I basically say "wow, if htey want to know who put the billboard up, go to city hall and ask" and you say "The airwaves are owned by the USA and its citizens" as if that had something to do with who owns a billboard.

dduardo

Staff Emeritus
Clear Channel got rid of their rock station down here in south florida. Luckly another company started another rock station.

Clear Channel owns over 1200 radio stations nationwide. They also own thousands of billboards. For instance half of the billboards in Times Square are owned by Clear Channel.

When the city I live in tried to make Clear Channel move illegal billboards, they sent their lobbiests to the state legislature and got the laws changed.

If you want to get a Clear picture of what Clear Channel is all about, Google the term "Clear Channel DJ's charged" they allow some pretty rotten stuff on air until they get caught. Then they blame it everyone but themselves.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
dduardo said:
Clear Channel got rid of their rock station down here in south florida. Luckly another company started another rock station.
I haven't heard anything about the political stuff. My complaint with Clear Channel is similar to yours, they seem to come in and take over the stations with good music, and turn them into easy listening stations with way too much talk! I don't even know what they talk about, because for some reason, talking on the radio just grates on my nerves, no matter what is being said, so as soon as someone on a station starts talking, I change stations.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
And why do people listen to talk radio while driving. The LAST thing I want to be hearing when im driving is MORE PEOPLE TALKING. Its like a backseat driver except that they are complaining about some political crap instead of your driving.

dduardo

Staff Emeritus
Pengwuino said:
And why do people listen to talk radio while driving. The LAST thing I want to be hearing when im driving is MORE PEOPLE TALKING. Its like a backseat driver except that they are complaining about some political crap instead of your driving.
Hey, NPR is a great station to listen to in the car.