Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clear Channel

1. Aug 15, 2005 #1
    Clear Channel....

I know that it isn't really current news but I have heard quite a bit of bad press in regards to Clear Channel. Alot of it seems to be embellished from what I have gathered. There seem to be two main complaints.

One: Clear Channel is partisan and it's radio news, among other media, is biased.
    I for one know that their news/talk radio does not carry a consistant political slant. There are and have been multpile liberal hosts on their station KFI which I listen to often. Also I don't understand why such a complaint would be valid. They cater to their listeners to keep their stations successful and if the majority of their listeners are conservatives then what is wrong with them airing predominantly conservative shows? Really, who else listens to AM talk radio anyway?

Two: Clear Channel are a large corperation that are only looking to increase profits.
    Can you point me to one that isn't? This second complaint even seems to fly in the face of the accusation of partisanship in their media. They constantly run surveys and numbers to make sure they are appealing to their audience and do what ever is necessary to change format to appeal more to their target demographic in order to keep up profits.
    There are here and there some well founded accusations, mostly it seems regarding billboards. There are also accusations of unfairly treating the artists who utilize their entertainment venues. I'm not sure if these are very well founded but I can easily see over coming this problem by not using their venues... just a thought.
    One I have to definitely take exception with is the idea that they hold a monopoly in radio. They are definitely the biggest company in the business but they really only hold approximately 10% of the industry. Is that really a monopoly?

What does everyone else think of Clear Channel and what have you heard and/or read about them?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2005 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Clear Channel?

Sounds like an alcoholic beverage....

4. Aug 15, 2005 #3
    You seriously have never heard of Clear Channel? Did you hear about the hoopla over the billboard with Bush on it?

5. Aug 15, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I vaguely remember someone talking about the "clear channel" being political but beyond that, I didnt even know it was going to be a radio station. And what billboard, what happened now thats probably happened 100x in the past in just a slightly less dramatic fashion?

6. Aug 15, 2005 #5

SOS2008

Gold Member

We should be able to obtain news without any idea whether there is a conservative of liberal slant. Some reporters in some media still achieve this, in that you can't be sure what party you think they belong to. That means they are doing a good job.

As for ratings and how profits have destroyed balanced news, I am very concerned about recent attempts to take over NPR and PBS--the last sources of programing that are not as affected by advertisement sponsors.

7. Aug 15, 2005 #6
  8. Aug 15, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I think i should setup a liberal news network in san fran and then a conservative one somewhere in georgia. Id be a millionaire in no time!

9. Aug 15, 2005 #8
    Yeah... or you could just, y'know, sell your soul. Same thing really.

10. Aug 15, 2005 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

So whats all the fuss? Its a private corporation. What happened to freedom of speech?

And whats the big deal? All billboards require permits so just go down to the hall of records and find out who owns the billboard. Shouldn't be that hard.

11. Aug 15, 2005 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Aren't all business based off giving what people want? Not my fault people jump over eachother just to hear the latest crap that agrees with them. I'll even have a disclaimer every 30 minutes! "This is a political channel. Im only saying what you want me to say. Its your fault im rich"

12. Aug 15, 2005 #11
    I agree, it would be nice, but appearantly it's not what the majority of people who listen to AM talk radio want. Any one who is working for profit has to work with what people want. I think that if people really wanted more balanced news there would be more of it.

13. Aug 15, 2005 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

See, this is what im saying. If you dont like it, turn it off. I mean if all of a sudden a radio stations ratings dropped to 10% of its normal value, advertisers probably won't want to fund them anymore.

Its fairly obvious that the only reason we get the crap we do is because apparently, thats what we want.

14. Aug 15, 2005 #13
    Airwaves are not free. They are owned by the people of the USA and are distributed by the government with a right to broadcast and are subject to government control.

Ever hear of 'Payola'?

http://www.salon.com/ent/clear_channel/

15. Aug 15, 2005 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The airwaves are not billboards.

16. Aug 15, 2005 #15
    ..... :rofl: Wanna be partners? I can handle the canadian chain. :biggrin:

17. Aug 15, 2005 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I knew you'd come over to my side :devil: :devil: :devil:

18. Aug 15, 2005 #17
    Well I'm already going to hell for not believing in god. Mine as well do it properly. :biggrin:

19. Aug 15, 2005 #18
    There is more to it than that really. There are places where Clear Channel offices have effected lobbies in regards to Billboard advertising and supposedly used unethical practices to these ends in order to make more profits. From what I have read it isn't just *****ing and moaning so I'll agree that they have a point there in regards to those particular offices involved in those particular incidents.
    This Billboard I don't think there is a problem with. Yeah maybe some people don't want to be reminded who the president is but like you said it's freedom of speech. I just pointed this example out because I figured you would have heard about it.

20. Aug 15, 2005 #19
    Why do you persist in clouding issues?

All activities of a broadcaster are subject to the same government regs when they are registered as a broadcaster.

21. Aug 15, 2005 #20

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Did you make it your job to question or oppose anything someone you dont like says? I basically say "wow, if htey want to know who put the billboard up, go to city hall and ask" and you say "The airwaves are owned by the USA and its citizens" as if that had something to do with who owns a billboard.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?