Exploring Clear Channel: Debunking Myths & Facts

In summary: I mean, I don't know, I guess it's just kind of a given?In summary, Clear Channel has been accused of having political bias in their media, being a monopoly, and being greedy. However, they also have been praised for their ratings and willingness to change formats to please their audience.
TheStatutoryApe
Clear Channel...

I know that it isn't really current news but I have heard quite a bit of bad press in regards to Clear Channel. Alot of it seems to be embellished from what I have gathered. There seem to be two main complaints.

One: Clear Channel is partisan and it's radio news, among other media, is biased.
I for one know that their news/talk radio does not carry a consistant political slant. There are and have been multpile liberal hosts on their station KFI which I listen to often. Also I don't understand why such a complaint would be valid. They cater to their listeners to keep their stations successful and if the majority of their listeners are conservatives then what is wrong with them airing predominantly conservative shows? Really, who else listens to AM talk radio anyway?

Two: Clear Channel are a large corperation that are only looking to increase profits.
Can you point me to one that isn't? This second complaint even seems to fly in the face of the accusation of partisanship in their media. They constantly run surveys and numbers to make sure they are appealing to their audience and do what ever is necessary to change format to appeal more to their target demographic in order to keep up profits.
There are here and there some well founded accusations, mostly it seems regarding billboards. There are also accusations of unfairly treating the artists who utilize their entertainment venues. I'm not sure if these are very well founded but I can easily see over coming this problem by not using their venues... just a thought.
One I have to definitely take exception with is the idea that they hold a monopoly in radio. They are definitely the biggest company in the business but they really only hold approximately 10% of the industry. Is that really a monopoly?

What does everyone else think of Clear Channel and what have you heard and/or read about them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Clear Channel?

Sounds like an alcoholic beverage...

You seriously have never heard of Clear Channel? Did you hear about the hoopla over the billboard with Bush on it?

I vaguely remember someone talking about the "clear channel" being political but beyond that, I didnt even know it was going to be a radio station. And what billboard, what happened now that's probably happened 100x in the past in just a slightly less dramatic fashion?

We should be able to obtain news without any idea whether there is a conservative of liberal slant. Some reporters in some media still achieve this, in that you can't be sure what party you think they belong to. That means they are doing a good job.

As for ratings and how profits have destroyed balanced news, I am very concerned about recent attempts to take over NPR and PBS--the last sources of programing that are not as affected by advertisement sponsors.

Billboard Story
Clear Channel isn't a radio station, it's a large corperation that owns several radio stations among other things.
http://www.clearchannel.com/
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/6432174?rnd=1124159805112&has-player=false

I think i should setup a liberal news network in san fran and then a conservative one somewhere in georgia. Id be a millionaire in no time!

Pengwuino said:
I think i should setup a liberal news network in san fran and then a conservative one somewhere in georgia. Id be a millionaire in no time!
Yeah... or you could just, y'know, sell your soul. Same thing really.

TheStatutoryApe said:

So what's all the fuss? Its a private corporation. What happened to freedom of speech?

And what's the big deal? All billboards require permits so just go down to the hall of records and find out who owns the billboard. Shouldn't be that hard.

Smurf said:
Yeah... or you could just, y'know, sell your soul. Same thing really.

Aren't all business based off giving what people want? Not my fault people jump over each other just to hear the latest crap that agrees with them. I'll even have a disclaimer every 30 minutes! "This is a political channel. I am only saying what you want me to say. Its your fault I am rich"

SOS2008 said:
We should be able to obtain news without any idea whether there is a conservative of liberal slant. Some reporters in some media still achieve this, in that you can't be sure what party you think they belong to. That means they are doing a good job.

As for ratings and how profits have destroyed balanced news, I am very concerned about recent attempts to take over NPR and PBS--the last sources of programing that are not as affected by advertisement sponsors.
I agree, it would be nice, but appearantly it's not what the majority of people who listen to AM talk radio want. Any one who is working for profit has to work with what people want. I think that if people really wanted more balanced news there would be more of it.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I agree, it would be nice, but appearantly it's not what the majority of people who listen to AM talk radio want. Any one who is working for profit has to work with what people want. I think that if people really wanted more balanced news there would be more of it.

See, this is what I am saying. If you don't like it, turn it off. I mean if all of a sudden a radio stations ratings dropped to 10% of its normal value, advertisers probably won't want to fund them anymore.

Its fairly obvious that the only reason we get the crap we do is because apparently, that's what we want.

Pengwuino said:
So what's all the fuss? Its a private corporation. What happened to freedom of speech?

And what's the big deal? All billboards require permits so just go down to the hall of records and find out who owns the billboard. Shouldn't be that hard.
Airwaves are not free. They are owned by the people of the USA and are distributed by the government with a right to broadcast and are subject to government control.

Ever hear of 'Payola'?

http://www.salon.com/ent/clear_channel/

Last edited by a moderator:
The Smoking Man said:
Airwaves are not free. They are owned by the people of the USA and are distributed by the government with a right to broadcast and are subject to government control.

The airwaves are not billboards.

Pengwuino said:
Aren't all business based off giving what people want? Not my fault people jump over each other just to hear the latest crap that agrees with them. I'll even have a disclaimer every 30 minutes! "This is a political channel. I am only saying what you want me to say. Its your fault I am rich"
... :rofl: Wanna be partners? I can handle the Canadian chain. :biggrin:

Smurf said:
... :rofl: Wanna be partners? I can handle the Canadian chain. :biggrin:

I knew you'd come over to my side :devil: :devil: :devil:

Pengwuino said:
I knew you'd come over to my side :devil: :devil: :devil:
Well I'm already going to hell for not believing in god. Mine as well do it properly. :biggrin:

Pengwuino said:

There is more to it than that really. There are places where Clear Channel offices have effected lobbies in regards to Billboard advertising and supposedly used unethical practices to these ends in order to make more profits. From what I have read it isn't just *****ing and moaning so I'll agree that they have a point there in regards to those particular offices involved in those particular incidents.
This Billboard I don't think there is a problem with. Yeah maybe some people don't want to be reminded who the president is but like you said it's freedom of speech. I just pointed this example out because I figured you would have heard about it.

Pengwuino said:
The airwaves are not billboards.
Why do you persist in clouding issues?

All activities of a broadcaster are subject to the same government regs when they are registered as a broadcaster.

The Smoking Man said:
Why do you persist in clouding issues?

All activities of a broadcaster are subject to the same government regs when they are registered as a broadcaster.

Did you make it your job to question or oppose anything someone you don't like says? I basically say "wow, if htey want to know who put the billboard up, go to city hall and ask" and you say "The airwaves are owned by the USA and its citizens" as if that had something to do with who owns a billboard.

Clear Channel got rid of their rock station down here in south florida. Luckly another company started another rock station.

Clear Channel owns over 1200 radio stations nationwide. They also own thousands of billboards. For instance half of the billboards in Times Square are owned by Clear Channel.

When the city I live in tried to make Clear Channel move illegal billboards, they sent their lobbiests to the state legislature and got the laws changed.

If you want to get a Clear picture of what Clear Channel is all about, Google the term "Clear Channel DJ's charged" they allow some pretty rotten stuff on air until they get caught. Then they blame it everyone but themselves.

dduardo said:
Clear Channel got rid of their rock station down here in south florida. Luckly another company started another rock station.

I haven't heard anything about the political stuff. My complaint with Clear Channel is similar to yours, they seem to come in and take over the stations with good music, and turn them into easy listening stations with way too much talk! I don't even know what they talk about, because for some reason, talking on the radio just grates on my nerves, no matter what is being said, so as soon as someone on a station starts talking, I change stations.

And why do people listen to talk radio while driving. The LAST thing I want to be hearing when I am driving is MORE PEOPLE TALKING. Its like a backseat driver except that they are complaining about some political crap instead of your driving.

Pengwuino said:
And why do people listen to talk radio while driving. The LAST thing I want to be hearing when I am driving is MORE PEOPLE TALKING. Its like a backseat driver except that they are complaining about some political crap instead of your driving.

Hey, NPR is a great station to listen to in the car.

dduardo said:
This is part of what I don't get about people who complain about the content. There are other radio stations out there and they can braodcast what ever they want. A company that isn't so conservative, if they wanted to, could broadcast talk radio that is largely liberal. There aren't many that do though. If a radio station has crappy music listen to another station OR, god forbid, write the company that owns the station to let them know what you think of their content. Since Clear Channel supposedly runs their business based on what their audience wants to hear they just might actually change their content if they had people complaining about it. Here in California KFI received enough complaints about the amount of air time devoted to commercials and KFI, a Clear Channel station, changed up their format. They made commercial slots much shorter and stuck with it even though their sponsors weren't happy with the change.
There's a company called Hot Topic that has been called a sell-out and greedy by the Goth subculture because they supposedly sell cheap low quality product for high prices. My ex worked in their corperate offices and from what she has told me and the relatively high placed people I have now met from there it would seem that the company really does care quite a bit about what their customers want. If their customers complain they do something about it. They give out free merchandise and refund payments for anything that a customer says was poor quality(with in reason ofcourse). I think there is really just a mentality among people that if it's a large corperation it must not give a rats patoot about anything but making money even to the detriment of the consumers. Odd logic really considering that the consumer is where they get their much sought after profit from.

---edit---
This wasn't directed at you dduardo, I just used your quote as a jumping off point for my rant. :wink:

Pengwuino said:
See, this is what I am saying. If you don't like it, turn it off. I mean if all of a sudden a radio stations ratings dropped to 10% of its normal value, advertisers probably won't want to fund them anymore.

Its fairly obvious that the only reason we get the crap we do is because apparently, that's what we want.
So if people are stupid, we should let them remain that way? :rofl:

Broadcasting should be accountable. If for no other reason than false advertisement, news programs should be factual unless they promote themselves otherwise (e.g., The Daily Show is on the comedy channel).

I've mentioned I often view roundtable type news, because though the individual participants openly lean to the left or right, they are doing it openly, with sincerity, and with equal time. Still viewers are left to sort out what they think is true.

And another problem is the coverage. What is news worthy?

...although "nothing new is happening" in the case of American teenager Natalee Holloway, "you'd never know that if you listen to just about every other cable news channel."
http://mediamatters.org/items/200508120003

I wish I had the exact numbers, but CNN reported on Holloway about 70 times, MSNBC about 100 times, and FOX News well over 400 times.

"Cable Can't Get Beyond the Pale"
Washington Post
Friday, August 12, 2005; Page A19
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/11/AR2005081101759.html

Not to mention the Sinclair Broadcast Group Inc., along with the likes of Clear Channel.

SOS2008 said:
Broadcasting should be accountable. If for no other reason than false advertisement, news programs should be factual unless they promote themselves otherwise (e.g., The Daily Show is on the comedy channel).

They are accountable. Its not that they are showing false information, its just that they are reporting on crap that isn't really what you'd expect out of a news program. They are indeed reporting the news... its just that they are reporting the news their customers want to hear. Whether or not the real news of the world is the news customers want to hear is the problem. Most people don't want to hear the thousands of complexities adn problems facing energy policy. They just want to hear "Oh look, Bush is an ass" or "Hey look at what democrat made a fool out of himself today" or "hey we all agree nader is an idiot". People are stupid and should stay that way. Helps out my prospects for the job market and that's all I care about :rofl: :rofl:

...and FOX News well over 400 times.

And 399 of those on Greta Van Sustrain or whatever. What the hell is with that woman. Prime time TV news program devoted to 1 out of every 10,000 kids kidnapped in this damn country. This is what people are interested. Random kids being abducted for the sole purpose of being able to put bets on who the killer will end up being. I put my money on everyones an idiot. I always win.

Pengwuino said:
They are accountable. Its not that they are showing false information, its just that they are reporting on crap that isn't really what you'd expect out of a news program. They are indeed reporting the news... its just that they are reporting the news their customers want to hear. Whether or not the real news of the world is the news customers want to hear is the problem. Most people don't want to hear the thousands of complexities adn problems facing energy policy. They just want to hear "Oh look, Bush is an ass" or "Hey look at what democrat made a fool out of himself today" or "hey we all agree nader is an idiot". People are stupid and should stay that way. Helps out my prospects for the job market and that's all I care about :rofl: :rofl:
They are not accountable anymore. Thanks to Michael Powell, the public airwaves are effectively controlled by corporations and there is not much the public can do about it. They can tell us anything they want, and they feed us the administration's line, because this administration is corporate friendly and you guessed it, they are corporations.

Sorry Penqwuino, there is now a liberal AM talk radio network, and some affiliates are Clear Channel stations. They are becoming more and more effective with framing a liberal argument and debunking the flood of misinformation spewing from the right. Of course if you listen to them you have to realize they are also distorting the story to fit their agenda. However, having another viewpoint available helps one in discerning the truth.

You don't need to go to the county recorder, ClearChannel has their name on everyone of their billboards. Look at the top center, can't miss it.

People are stupid and should remain that way?

Why is selfishness the common denominator when listing conservative traits?

I thought you were better than that.

You could just... stop listening?

Rest is political one-sided rhetoric not worthy of a response.

SOS2008 said:
If for no other reason than false advertisement, news programs should be factual unless they promote themselves otherwise (e.g., The Daily Show is on the comedy channel).

How much of political talk radio is news broadcasting? I was always under the impression that it was commentary, and that it advertises itself as such. That is a whole 'nother ballgame.

Anyway, I don't think people even realize quite how much Clear Channel is responsible for. I actually worked for Clear Channel once briefly, at a traveling Titanic exhibit that was going through the California Science Center (they sponsored the exhibit). They also own the sports agency that represents Kobe Bryant and Terrell Owens and might be considered responsible for any advertisements (whether or not they are on Clear Channel billboards or stations) that feature their athletes.

Pengwuino said:
You could just... stop listening?

Rest is political one-sided rhetoric not worthy of a response.
Listening to what?

Pengwuino said:
People are stupid and should stay that way. Helps out my prospects for the job market and that's all I care about :rofl: :rofl:
I would call this a selfish statement.

But hey, what do I know?

loseyourname said:
How much of political talk radio is news broadcasting? I was always under the impression that it was commentary, and that it advertises itself as such. That is a whole 'nother ballgame.
They are considered commentary, and not news, that is why they can make outrageous false claims and not be held accountable. There is a real news portion that usually comes from the local station (traffic, weather and local news) and a national/international feed from a cablenews affiliate.

My concern is that they make these false, misleading, and outrageous claims, and then there is an echo on the mainstream news media that appears to lend credibility. Not only does this distortion seem to be deliberate, it is also highly partisan.

Remember how Al Gore said he invented the internet?

Skyhunter said:
Sorry Penqwuino, there is now a liberal AM talk radio network, and some affiliates are Clear Channel stations. They are becoming more and more effective with framing a liberal argument and debunking the flood of misinformation spewing from the right. Of course if you listen to them you have to realize they are also distorting the story to fit their agenda.
So what? Why should this trouble anyone? Better yet, why does it trouble you that there is a lot of conservative rhetoric on the radio, but not trouble you that liberal rhetoric is growing? Isn't that contradictory?

During the build-up to the election, Rush Limbaugh took a lot of heat - even to the point of being blasted by Congressmen on the floor of the House. The problem?: Rush Limbaugh has the highest rated (most listeners) political talk show there is. So people complain about bias in the media based on this. But when push comes to shove (as your above quote indicates), it isn't the fact that biased talk shows exist that is getting liberals up in arms, its the fact that they don't have enough!

So let's cut to the chase here, guys - this issue isn't making waves because it shows bias exists in talk shows and private corporations (of course it exists!), its making waves because liberals haven't been as successful as conservatives at exploiting it.
They are not accountable anymore. Thanks to Michael Powell, the public airwaves are effectively controlled by corporations and there is not much the public can do about it.
You're not serious about that, are you? Michael Powell may be a Nazi-censor type, but the FCC not giving more control to corporations than it used to. The FCC has nothing to do with the the integrity of the content and it never has. I think you may be mistaking some rhetoric you heard somewhere for fact. All Michael Powell cares about is censoring things he finds offensive.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how this story was overlooked by everyone but here it is.

Country music's No. 1 act, The Dixie Chicks, have been pulled from radio playlists thanks to a remark singer Natalie Maines made in London last week.

"Just so you know," Texas native Maines said on stage, "we're ashamed that the president of the United States is from Texas." Maines added she felt George W. Bush's foreign policy is alienating the rest of the world.

http://jacksonville.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/stories/2003/03/17/daily14.html

This was one that really shocked me, that CC would "punish" entertainers that had a opinion on politics other than that of their own.

Wether you agree with those statements or not, I think that in America people are afforded the right to say what they think without reprisal.

Imagine that you were at a lunch conference with your boss and politics was a topic of discussion.
You felt differently about the policy of our current administration than your boss.
He fires you.

edit: Note that the link I found was to a local Florida paper and therefore addresses the 2 CC stations in that area, however The Dixie Chicks were pulled from all CC Stations in the Nation, which makes it obvious that someone very high up was responsible for the mandate.

Last edited by a moderator: