It would be best to consult with the developer of Shelter for more information on how the app works with system apps.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
What is bloatware?
When you unbox your new phone, it comes with Android that is pre-installed by the manufacturer. This is termed “stock firmware”. Stock firmware also comes with a number of apps pre-installed, like native browser, Google apps, games, etc. Some applications are manufacturer-specific. For example, many Samsung phones come with Samsung Health and Galaxy Apps pre-installed, which are available only in Samsung devices.
Often, the user doesn’t require these applications, as they are mostly inferior when compared with similar apps available elsewhere. You can disable them from Settings, but they will continue to take up space on your eMMC. Such apps are then termed as “bloatware”. The process of removing the APK and data files of the bloatware is called “debloating”.
Summary of certain technical terms that have been used in the article:

APK file – Android Package (APK) is the package file format used by the Android operating system for the distribution and installation...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Likes Rive, WWGD, Klystron and 5 others
Computer science news on Phys.org
Nicely written article with a lot of good information on Android and how things are organized.

Thanks for sharing.

Jedi

Likes Klystron and Wrichik Basu
When I bought my current Android phone, I chose the smallest but still efficient local provider in place of one of the big names. The G-phone still came with bloatware but I have disabled several apps that I never use and that seem to suck up the most resources such as "Hang Outs" and relatives. The system occasionally complains "hang outs is unavailable", as if I did not know, or "Google would run so much better if xyz was enabled. Agree?" but the saved space is worth the minor annoyance.

Thanks for sharing your research and experience.

Likes WWGD, Wrichik Basu and jedishrfu
Well, all that was what finally pushed me to install a custom ROM above TWRP.
With TWRP installed it is hard to brick the phone, and with LineageOS (and its variants) it is easy to have an up-to date bloatware-free system. Especially when it gets nothing else but GApps Micro.

Of course this also means that I'll never have any phone which is not supported by the mentioned software sources. Still plenty to pick from. 😉

Likes Wrichik Basu
Just to confirm, if one were to use the adb method to uninstall system apps for the current user, can those system apps still be operational in the background or do they remain dormant until the device is facrory reset? Also, if one were to use a program like Shelter to create a work profile which would copy the system apps to said work profile and then uninstall or delete some apps from the system directory, exactly what can be accessed by the copies of the removed apps in the work profile?

PhoenixDragon said:
Just to confirm, if one were to use the adb method to uninstall system apps for the current user, can those system apps still be operational in the background or do they remain dormant until the device is facrory reset?
They will remain dormant and won't be operational in the background, but will continue to occupy space in the internal memory.
PhoenixDragon said:
Also, if one were to use a program like Shelter to create a work profile which would copy the system apps to said work profile and then uninstall or delete some apps from the system directory, exactly what can be accessed by the copies of the removed apps in the work profile?
Unfortunately, I do not know the answer to that.

1. What are the common misconceptions about debloating Android phones?

One common misconception is that debloating will completely free up storage space on your phone. While it may help clear some space, it does not guarantee a significant increase in storage.

Another misconception is that debloating will improve the performance of your phone. While it may reduce the number of background processes and improve battery life, it may not have a significant impact on overall performance.

Some people also believe that debloating will permanently remove all pre-installed apps from their phone. However, these apps can still be reinstalled through a factory reset or software update.

2. How do I debloat my Android phone?

There are a few different ways to debloat your Android phone. One method is to manually uninstall unwanted apps from your device's settings. Another option is to use a third-party debloating app, which can help identify and remove bloatware.

You can also debloat your phone by disabling unwanted apps through your device's settings. This will prevent the apps from running in the background and taking up resources.

3. Is it safe to debloat my Android phone?

Debloating your Android phone is generally safe, but it's important to exercise caution. Make sure to only uninstall or disable apps that you are familiar with and know you won't need in the future. Removing essential system apps can cause issues with your phone's functionality.

It's also recommended to back up your phone before debloating, in case any unwanted changes or issues arise.

4. Can debloating my Android phone cause any problems?

Debloating your Android phone can potentially cause problems if you remove essential system apps or disable important functions. It's important to research the apps you are planning to remove or disable to ensure they are not necessary for your phone's functionality.

Additionally, debloating may also void your phone's warranty, so it's important to understand the risks before proceeding.

5. Are there any tips for effectively debloating my Android phone?

One tip is to start by identifying which apps are taking up the most storage space or using the most resources on your phone. This will help you prioritize which apps to uninstall or disable.

It's also recommended to periodically check for and remove any new bloatware that may have been installed through software updates or app downloads. Keeping your phone debloated can help improve its overall performance and storage space.