Clever Little Ideas - Share Your Tips Here

• Thread starter Artman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ideas
In summary, the conversation is about sharing clever ideas for daily tasks and tips. Some of the ideas mentioned include using liquid soap to remove grease from hands, using a string soaked in lighter fluid to cut glass, using a cup of hot coffee to maneuver through a crowd, and buying gasoline in the morning when it is cooler for more volume. However, it is noted that modern gas pumps are adjusted for temperature, so this may not be effective. Other ideas include using rubbing alcohol as a cleaner, making fossils with cement and fish bones, and using duct tape to remove cat hair from clothes.
I was pretty proud of myself one night when I was laying on the bed and the remote control was too far away for me to reach on the bed. So I pulled the sheet closer to me so I didn't have to stretch or move :smile: I thought it was a clever little idea.

Artman said:
Cure for headaches: Take a lime, cut it in half, and rub it on your forehead. The throbbing will go away
I don't exactly believe that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mk said:
Originally Posted by Artman
Cure for headaches: Take a lime, cut it in half, and rub it on your forehead. The throbbing will go away

It works! When the lime juice gets into your eyes you will forget all about your headache.

Mk said:
I was pretty proud of myself one night when I was laying on the bed and the remote control was too far away for me to reach on the bed. So I pulled the sheet closer to me so I didn't have to stretch or move :smile: I thought it was a clever little idea.
Originally Posted by Artman

Head On! Apply directly to the forehead! :rofl: :rofl:

Back to electricity...
I have a self-rewinding extension cord bolted under the hood of the car, with the block heater and in-car heater plugged into it. Saves messing about with a separate cord. (Just make sure that it doesn't rewind too hard if you have a plastic grill. )

A wood working tip:

If you are drilling a hole through a board and you need both ends to have a fairly clean hole, clamp a scrap board underneath the one you are drilling that you can also drill into. This scrap board keeps the wood from splintering away from the exit hole on your primary piece of wood.

Another drilling tip:

If you are drilling pilot holes, wrap a piece of tape around the bit where you want to stop your hole. For example, if you need a 1/2" deep pilot hole, wrap the tape around the bit exposing 1/2" at the tip. Then when you drill, watch as you approach the tape and stop your hole when you reach it.

You can cut glass underwater with a pair of scissors.

Ivan Seeking said:
You can cut glass underwater with a pair of scissors.
I had to look this one up, apparently there is a bit of truth to it.

"In less than an hour, Chris was back in my office with the following technical report: "It works, sort of." He held in his hand three crudely cut cathedral glass circles, still wet. We examined the evidence. Most apparent, the circles hadn't been "cut," they had been grozed. Identical results, we agreed, could have been achieved with a cheap pair of grozers and no water. Superior results could have been achieved accidently by a three-year-old with a rusty Red Devil."

http://www.spectrumglass.com/Library/ScoreArticles/NoFishStory.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
It works! When the lime juice gets into your eyes you will forget all about your headache.
And remember all about margaritas? :rofl: