Why Do We Use Cliches and How Can We Avoid Them?

• Thread starter photon
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various cliches and the annoyance they bring. Examples of cliches such as "Let's not and say we did" and "24/7" are mentioned and criticized. The conversation also delves into the use of cliches in movies and the annoyance of redundant phrases. The use of cliches in different languages is also touched upon, including a Dutch phrase for pounding potatoes. The conversation ends with a discussion on the proper pronunciation of the word "mishapen" and the different ways of thawing meat.
photon
"Cliche?" You ask, well, I hate the little suckers. One of the worst is "Let's not and say we did." EVERYBODY says that! Why? It's noooo good whatsoever and just turns people geeky.

Personally, I avoid cliches like the plague... :biggrin: :wink:

Know any more annoying ones.

Physics news on Phys.org
"It's like deja vu all over again !"

Not only is this cliche annoying, the second clause is redundant. But every other movie I've watched has this line in it.

How about "at the end of the day". NO IT WONT BE LIKE THE END OF THE DAY!

I really hate "24/7". That has got to be the worst.

Isn't it cliche to hate cliches?

Now that we have that under our belts we pick ourselves up by our bootstraps, keep a stiff upper lip, put on our poker faces, quit beating around the bush, face the facts, and then hope against hope that the race is not to the swift, recognize that this is not a marriage made in heaven - after all the proof of the pudding is in the eating - and that good bad or indifferent, all that one needs is a kick in the butt. After all, the early bird gets the worm so if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. QED.

and nobody should ever say "dude" again.

Dudess is still Okay for the ladies though.

Edit: Oh yes, and never do the finger thingy when quoting verbally.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Edit: Oh yes, and never do the finger thingy when quoting verbally.

Can we do it while "quoting" "in writing"? Or is that just making a silk purse out of a pig in a poke? :tongue2:

I would take 'dude' over 'd00der' or 'd00dz0rd' any day, dude.

Boy, I seem to have hit the dude nerve, dudes. What is this a dude club or something, dudes? Now I'm doing double dudey.

If someone asks you what a cliche is, just respond "its a trite" :smile:

The opposite works just as well.

You could also say it's hackneyed :tongue2:

I hate those stupid wordplays that get repeated over and over, year after year.. can't think of any in english.. like pounding the potatoes, you call out for someone to do the pounding.. and then they loudly pound their foot on the floor and continue with whatever they were doing :grumpy:

Gokul43201 said:
"It's like deja vu all over again !"

Not only is this cliche annoying, the second clause is redundant. But every other movie I've watched has this line in it.

That is more than a cliche, it is a "Berra-ism". Named for Yogi Berra.

Njorl

I like botched cliches, like, "It sticks in my throat like a craw." or "For all intensive purposes".
Njorl

Monique said:
You could also say it's hackneyed :tongue2:

I hate those stupid wordplays that get repeated over and over, year after year.. can't think of any in english.. like pounding the potatoes, you call out for someone to do the pounding.. and then they loudly pound their foot on the floor and continue with whatever they were doing :grumpy:

Well, someone has to put their foot down...

Actually, I don't understand this one at all. :frown:

Hurkyl said:
Well, someone has to put their foot down...

Actually, I don't understand this one at all. :frown:
:rolleyes: language barriers...

Dutch cuisine involves lots of recipes of vegetables with mashed potatoes.. so a strong guy has to be brought into the kitchen to do the pounding, so when we'd call out for my dad to do so, we'd just hear a lot of noise but he'd never show up in the kitchen :devil:

Oh, my family is a star at triteness :grumpy: just to annoy me I'm sure..

Last edited:
O wait, or did you think mashed potatoes come out of paper boxes? :tongue2:

According to Bob Seger, "Is it a woman, or a man?" is an old cliche. I tend to disagree...'cause that would make every commonplace statement/question a cliche. In fact I'd bet my bottom dollar...

Originally posted by Monique:
Dutch cuisine involves lots of recipes of vegetables with mashed potatoes.. so a strong guy has to be brought into the kitchen to do the pounding...

Don't you cook 'em first?

Monique said:
O wait, or did you think mashed potatoes come out of paper boxes? :tongue2:

:cry:

I just didn't know you "pound" them.

gnome said:
Don't you cook 'em first?
you first COOK them??
*mumble* maybe that's.. ajuh.. good point.. :uhh:

Hurkyl: that's ok, that's one person who won't start pounding the floor or nearby walls when asked to mash the potatoes :biggrin:

Well, I will now. :devil:

ay... *crumbles up diner invitation*

You can still invite me, just make sure I come after dinner's ready. :smile:

All in all, we must use our strengths against our opponents weaknesses to overcome the boundaries.

Njorl said:
I like botched cliches, like, "It sticks in my throat like a craw." or "For all intensive purposes".
Njorl

I'm not sure "For all intents and purposes" counts as a cliche. (Though I'm a monkey's uncle if I can figure out why...)

For a long time as a kid, I thought that the word 'mishapen' was pronounced as 'miss-happen' - after all, it referred to something that had suffered a mishap...

Anyway, this is all as weird as a snake's suspenders.

For some reason there is an entire subculture within the US that de-thaws meat before cooking; not thaw the meat like everyone else, de-thaw. Some people from the St. Louis area [like some of my family] tend to use this expression. When I hear this and ask when they thaw the meat, they usually look a little confused and say something like, "same thing", or, "oh ya". Then they say it again the next time. :biggrin: Considering the large population of Germans from the area, I have always suspected it may be a German dielect remnant of some kind.

In college, my German Langauge professor would say "now that we have that behind our belts", instead of "under our belts". Fourty years in the US but this little idiom had escaped his attention.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
de-thaws meat before cooking [..] I have always suspected it may be a German dielect remnant of some kind.
lol, I think you're right :tongue2: the proper translation probably should be be-thaw :) the act of thawing.

Monique said:
lol, I think you're right :tongue2: the proper translation probably should be be-thaw :) the act of thawing.

And of course it should have Anglo-Saxon style tenses:

I bethaw, I bethew, I was bethewn

Could we say that something is slicker than deer guts on a doorknob, or would that be wrong.

"Give it 110%".

That's not only a bad cliche, it's bad math. Besides, there are better options.

Here's a little math that might prove helpful.

What makes 100%?

If

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

is represented as:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26.

Then,

K N O W L E D G E
11 14 15 23 12 5 4 7 5 = 96%

H A R D W O R K
8 1 18 4 23 15 18 11 = 98%

But,

A T T I T U D E
1 20 20 9 20 21 4 5 = 100%

So you, see? Attitude is much more important than knowledge or hard work.

And,

B U L L S H I T

2 21 12 12 19 8 9 20 = 103%

So, it stands to reason that hardwork and knowledge will get you close, attitude will get you there, but bull**** will put you over the top.

But, look how far A S S K I S S I N G will take you

1 19 19 11 9 19 19 9 14 7 = 118%

cliches?

EVERYTHING that happened in "Jeepers Creepers"...
and walking into a room without turning the ligths on, in order to make it more easy for the killer to ambush you...

So whaddaya think? Is this the best thread since sliced bread? Or should we put it where the sun don't shine?

since only about 4 threads out of some 20 have involved an answer, i'd say flush it...

1. Why do we use cliches?

Cliches are often used as a way to express a common idea or sentiment in a concise and familiar way. They can also serve as a way to connect with others and create a sense of shared understanding.

2. Are cliches always bad to use?

No, cliches can serve a purpose in certain contexts. For example, in casual conversations or in creative writing, they can add a sense of humor or familiarity. However, overusing cliches can make your writing or speech seem unoriginal and lack depth.

3. How do cliches impact communication?

Cliches can have a negative impact on communication as they can be seen as lazy or unoriginal. They can also hinder effective communication by oversimplifying complex ideas or emotions.

4. How can we avoid using cliches?

To avoid using cliches, it is important to be aware of them and actively try to come up with original ways to express your thoughts and ideas. You can also read and expose yourself to a variety of literature and media to expand your vocabulary and avoid falling back on familiar phrases.

5. What are some alternatives to using cliches?

Instead of using cliches, you can try using metaphors, similes, or other literary devices to convey your message. You can also use personal anecdotes or specific examples to make your point more unique and impactful.