How can I calculate the car's position when it lands in the ocean?

In summary, the problem involves a car parked on a cliff and rolling down an incline due to brake failure. The car travels a distance of 26.7 m before falling off the cliff, which is 82.4 m above the ocean. To find the car's position relative to the base of the cliff when it lands in the ocean, you will need to calculate the forces and accelerations acting on the car, as well as use kinematic equations to find the velocity and time it takes for the car to reach the ocean. The final distance traveled by the car can be found by multiplying the x velocity at the end of the cliff by the time it takes to reach the ocean.
jsr219
Your friends car is parked on a cliff overlooking the ocean on an incline that makes an angle of 18.9 (degrees) below the horizontal. The brakes fail, and the car rolls from rest down the incline for a distance of 26.7 m to the edge of the cliff, which is 82.4 m above the ocean, and, unfortunately, continues over the edge and lands in the ocean.

Find the cars position relative to the base of the cliff when the car lands in the ocean.

I'm not quite sure how to attempt this problem
- I think you bust the problem up into 2 parts
- I know you have to find the velocity of the car right before it falls off the cliff. Then from there treat it as a projectile question.

- I also know that I will have to break the problem down into its x and y components

If you could help walk me through this problem it would be much appreciated
- I deff don't want anyone to give a final answers
- just help walk me through the problem step by step so that I can understand what's going on

I just have no clue how to get started or the equations to use

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to start by calculating the force normal and the force parallel to the incline, so you can get the accelerations. You will also want to calculate the change in x and change in y on the incline. So say the car starts at the origin (0,0) and at the end of the cliff is (x, y). You know the hypotenus is 26.7m and it is a 18.9 degree slope

It is important to write down all the values you are given and the equations which include some of your variables

x = 26.7cos(18.9)

y = 26.7sin(18.9)

ay = gcos(theta)

ax = gsin(theta)

d = vi(t) + .5at^2

at = v

You should know your kinematic equations

and solve the equations for velocity on the ramp in the x and y directions

When the car leaves the cliff there is no more acceleration in the x direction so the x velocity becomes constant, but in the y direction gravity is acting upon the car. So there is a higher constant acceleration in the y direction which is 9.81m/s^2

You know the height of the cliff the initial y velocity after it leaves the cliff and the acceleration. So you must find the time it takes for the car to reach the ocean. You can do this by using the equation above and the quadratic equation with respect to t. You should be able to see which time it will be.

Then use the x velocity at the end of the cliff and the time you've found for the car to reach the ocean from the end of the cliff and multiply them together to find the distance the car traveled from the cliff.

hope this helps

1. What is cliff projectile motion?

Cliff projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is thrown or launched from a cliff or other elevated surface. This type of motion is affected by the initial velocity and angle of launch, as well as the force of gravity and air resistance.

2. How is the trajectory of a projectile on a cliff affected by air resistance?

The trajectory of a projectile on a cliff is affected by air resistance in that it causes the object to slow down and deviate from its ideal path. This is due to the force of air resistance acting in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of launch and the range of a projectile on a cliff?

The angle of launch and the range of a projectile on a cliff have an inverse relationship. This means that as the angle of launch increases, the range of the projectile decreases, and vice versa. The optimal angle for maximum range is 45 degrees.

4. How does the height of a cliff affect the time of flight for a projectile?

The height of a cliff does not affect the time of flight for a projectile on its own. However, the initial vertical velocity of the projectile, which is influenced by the height of the cliff, will impact the time of flight. A higher cliff will result in a longer time of flight.

5. Can the motion of a projectile on a cliff be described using the equations of motion?

Yes, the motion of a projectile on a cliff can be described using the equations of motion. These equations, including equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration, can be modified to account for the effects of gravity and air resistance on the projectile's motion.