1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Climber hanging from a cliff

1. Feb 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 65 kg climber finds himself dangling over the edge of an ice cliff, as shown in the figure below. Fortunately, he's roped to a 940 kg rock located 51 m from the edge of the cliff. Assume that the coefficient of kinetic friction between rock and ice is 5.7×10−2. What is his acceleration, and how much time does he have before the rock goes over the edge? Neglect the rope's mass.

2. Relevant equations

FT - Ff = massrock * a
    N = massrock * g

FT - massclimber * g = massclimber * a

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved for FT for the climber and then stuck this equation into FT in the rock equation. Then solved for a.

a = (g(massclimber - Mu(k) * massrock)) / (massrock - massclimber)

Plugging the numbers in the equation, i get a = 0.127904 m/s2 My homework tells me this is wrong and I can't figure out why. any help is appreciated!
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2010 #2
    What's the force of friction?

What is the books answer btw?
  4. Feb 25, 2010 #3
    Ff = Mu(k) * N or Mu(k) * massrock * g

it's actually homework on the computer and doesn't give me the answer. Just tells me mine is wrong and to try again!
  5. Feb 25, 2010 #4
    figured it out

FT - massclimber * g = massclimber * a
    should be
    FT - massclimber * g = -massclimber * a
    since the climber is moving downward
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook