How is the tension of a rope calculated in a climber's FBD?

• Thread starter BadSkittles
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a climber hanging off a cliff with a rope attached to a rock 10 meters from the edge of the cliff. There is friction between the rock and the ground. The problem asks for the tension of the rope. There is a discussion about whether the rock is sliding or not, and it is determined that both the rock and the climber are sliding. It is suggested to draw a free body diagram for each mass and solve the system of equations to find the tension in the rope.
BadSkittles
A climber is hanging off a cliff with a rope tied to his waist. The rope is attached to a rock 10 meters from the edge of the rock. What is the tension of the rope? There is friction between the rock and the ground.

I am not sure if i got it right, but is it

m1= climber , m2= rock

τ - Frictional force of climber - m2 (g) = -m2(a) ?

or is it

T - frictional force - m2(g) = -m1+2 (a)?

Help is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Im a little confused by this... "The rope is attached to a rock 10 meters from the edge of the rock." Do you mean 10 meters from the edge of the cliff?

In any case, have you drawn a free body diagram? Draw one for the climber. He has two forces acting on him right? The rope tension and the force of gravity. After you draw the free body diagram you should sum up the forces and equate that to "ma" (Newton's second law). Does this process seem familiar?

Likes 1 person
That same bit is confusing me as well.

Also, could someone explain how this is relevant? "There is friction between the rock and the ground.My interpretation is that there is a cliff with a rock on top jutting out over the edge of the cliff by 10 m to which the rope is attached. Is that correct?

I would interpret the problem this way. There is a rock back a distance from the edge of the cliff. The rope is tied to the rock and the rope extends over the edge of the cliff to the climber.

Also, there is friction between the rock and the ground, but there is no friction as the rope passes over the edge of the cliff.

Likes 1 person
ModusPwnd said:
Im a little confused by this... "The rope is attached to a rock 10 meters from the edge of the rock." Do you mean 10 meters from the edge of the cliff?

In any case, have you drawn a free body diagram? Draw one for the climber. He has two forces acting on him right? The rope tension and the force of gravity. After you draw the free body diagram you should sum up the forces and equate that to "ma" (Newton's second law). Does this process seem familiar?

Tsunoyukami said:
That same bit is confusing me as well.

Also, could someone explain how this is relevant? "There is friction between the rock and the ground.

My interpretation is that there is a cliff with a rock on top jutting out over the edge of the cliff by 10 m to which the rope is attached. Is that correct?

Opps, sorry I meant the rock is placed 10 meters from the edge of the cliff. I was wondering if I had the right equation with all the forces on it. I just don't know if the Force should be m1+m2(a) or just m2(a)

barryj said:
I would interpret the problem this way. There is a rock back a distance from the edge of the cliff. The rope is tied to the rock and the rope extends over the edge of the cliff to the climber.

Also, there is friction between the rock and the ground, but there is no friction as the rope passes over the edge of the cliff.

Yeah there's no friction as the rope slides down.

Is the rock sliding? If sliding then there is one problem, if not sliding then its a different problem

barryj said:
Is the rock sliding? If sliding then there is one problem, if not sliding then its a different problem

To make this more "obvious" you need to solve the problem for both cases (unless otherwise specified) for the problem to be complete.

If the rock is stationary what happens to the climber? What happens to the climber if it moves?

Tsunoyukami said:
To make this more "obvious" you need to solve the problem for both cases (unless otherwise specified) for the problem to be complete.

If the rock is stationary what happens to the climber? What happens to the climber if it moves?

barryj said:

Yeah the rock is sliding. The climber is being pulled down by gravity.

You should start by drawing a FBD of each mass. Get relationships ( determine the equation) between the tension, mass, cooeficient of friction and etc. You should have two equations that you can solve.

BadSkittles said:
Yeah the rock is sliding. The climber is being pulled down by gravity.

Does the problem state that the rock is sliding or are you assuming it is sliding? This is an important distinction - just because there's a person hanging onto a rope attached to the rock doesn't mean the rock will move: what if it's a very very large rock and the person's weight isn't enough to move it?

I'm just making sure that the problem explicitly states that the rock is moving, because if it doesn't state this you have to solve it for both cases.

Tsunoyukami said:
Does the problem state that the rock is sliding or are you assuming it is sliding? This is an important distinction - just because there's a person hanging onto a rope attached to the rock doesn't mean the rock will move: what if it's a very very large rock and the person's weight isn't enough to move it?

I'm just making sure that the problem explicitly states that the rock is moving, because if it doesn't state this you have to solve it for both cases.

yeah both the rock and the person is sliding. The acceleration is the same for both.

Then, as suggested above, try drawing and FBD for each mass (ie. the rock and the climber). You should the. Have two equations, each with T in them. You should be able to solve this system using substitution or elimination.

1. What safety precautions should a climber take when hanging on a cliff?

It is important for a climber to always wear a helmet and proper climbing gear, have a partner or spotter for support, and check the weather and conditions before climbing. It is also important to have proper training and experience before attempting a climb.

2. How do climbers stay attached to the cliff while hanging?

Climbers use various types of equipment such as ropes, harnesses, and carabiners to attach themselves to the cliff. They also use proper climbing techniques and anchor points to ensure their safety.

3. What should a climber do if they get stuck or injured while hanging on a cliff?

If a climber gets stuck or injured, they should try to remain calm and assess the situation. They can call for help if they have a cell phone or use signaling techniques such as shouting, waving a bright object, or using a whistle. If possible, they can also try to safely lower themselves or wait for rescue.

4. How do climbers deal with fear while hanging on a cliff?

Climbers often use mental and physical techniques to overcome fear while hanging on a cliff. This may include deep breathing, positive self-talk, and focusing on the task at hand. It is also important for climbers to have trust in their equipment and abilities, and to take breaks or seek support from their climbing partners if needed.

5. What factors should a climber consider before attempting a climb on a cliff?

Climbers should consider their physical abilities, experience level, weather and environmental conditions, and the difficulty of the climb before attempting it. They should also have a solid understanding of the route and potential dangers, and have a plan for emergencies. It is important for climbers to always prioritize safety and make responsible decisions.