Climbing a Pulley: Conservation of Momentum & Energy?

• Thread starter physics_liker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
In summary, the person climbing up the rope and the mass hanging on the other end will rise up at the same speed due to the conservation of momentum. The conservation of momentum also applies in the case of a man walking on a plank of wood of equal weight on frictionless ice, as there are no external horizontal forces on the system. In the scenario of swinging and suddenly flying off at the lowest point of the swing path tangentially, the conservation of momentum applies but not the conservation of energy. The energy in this "reverse inelastic collision" is not conserved as the person on the swing converts their potential energy into kinetic energy when they leave the swing seat. The swing seat does not move backwards because the scenario is not a collision event
physics_liker
On a standard pulley, on one end of the rope hangs a mass equal to a person's weight. That person is climbing up on the other end of the rope at constant speed. My guess is that the man and the mass will rise up at the same speed.

And does the conservation of momentum apply in this case? How does the conservation of momentum work if a case is in a similar situation? For example, a man walking on a plank of wood of his equal weight on frictionless ice. Relative to the ground, the man is moving at half of his walking speed.

Let's say you are swinging on a swing, and suddenly fly off at the lowest point of the swing path tangentially and leave the swing seat. Now in this case, the conservation of momentum applies, but not the conservation of energy. In this "reverse inelastic collision", (as I like to think of it as) where does the energy go?

Physics news on Phys.org
physics_liker said:
On a standard pulley, on one end of the rope hangs a mass equal to a person's weight. That person is climbing up on the other end of the rope at constant speed. My guess is that the man and the mass will rise up at the same speed.
Why guess? Apply Newton's laws.

And does the conservation of momentum apply in this case? How does the conservation of momentum work if a case is in a similar situation? For example, a man walking on a plank of wood of his equal weight on frictionless ice. Relative to the ground, the man is moving at half of his walking speed.
In the case of the man and plank, there are no external (horizontal) forces on that system, thus momentum is conserved. Is that the case for the man climbing the rope? (First define the system you would like to consider.)

Let's say you are swinging on a swing, and suddenly fly off at the lowest point of the swing path tangentially and leave the swing seat. Now in this case, the conservation of momentum applies, but not the conservation of energy. In this "reverse inelastic collision", (as I like to think of it as) where does the energy go?
What do you mean "conservation of energy" doesn't apply? (Or "conservation of momentum" does, for that matter?)

physics_liker said:

I wonder if you are thinking that the swing seat should propel backwards as you slide-off forwards? If that's the case, why should it? The scenario is not a collision event.

Doc Al said:

I didn't literally guess. I just wasn't sure of the answer, so I used the word "guess". I think the situation is similar to the one walking on ice. For every inch of rope you pull down its original position, your hand reaches 2 inches up the rope (assuming that he stretches two full arm lengths). But since one inch is descended down, the man only advances one inch upward, as does the mass on the other end of the rope.

In the case of the man and plank, there are no external (horizontal) forces on that system, thus momentum is conserved. Is that the case for the man climbing the rope? (First define the system you would like to consider.)
I'd like to consider both cases, actually. I don't quite understand the concept of conservation of momentum. The only case I have used the concept on is for collisions. I don't know how it applies to the pulley and the plank. I'd like someone to give me an answer for this question.

What do you mean "conservation of energy" doesn't apply? (Or "conservation of momentum" does, for that matter?)
I meant that if the conservation of energy applies. The kinetic energy of the person and the swing seat at the bottom point would be equal to the sum of the kinetic energy of the seat and the person after he flies off the swing seat. The latter energy does not add up to the initial energy. So I ask, where does the energy go?

pallidin said:
I wonder if you are thinking that the swing seat should propel backwards as you slide-off forwards? If that's the case, why should it? The scenario is not a collision event.

I do not think the swing seat would be propelled backwards. The person on the swing has acquired his speed due to the drop of his own potential energy. But I have another question: how do we know what speed will the person leave off the swing? And I think that if man leaves off the swing with the same speed as that when he is on the swing. Then there is no change in momentum for him, and therefore no reason for the swing to be propelled backwards.

Bear in mind that other, significant force vectors are involved here. As you are arcing downwards prior to "sliding-off", a force is being applied on the swing-set frame itself. You may not notice it because the swing-set is anchored in the ground.

A good example might be if the swing set was not anchored to the ground, but instead on wheels. Assuming the ground is flat and friction is minimal, what happens?
The swing set moves back and forth as you swing back and forth(in opposite directions), maintaining a constant center of mass.
Now, when you eject yourself, what happens to the motion of the entire swing-set on wheels?

physics_liker said:
I meant that if the conservation of energy applies. The kinetic energy of the person and the swing seat at the bottom point would be equal to the sum of the kinetic energy of the seat and the person after he flies off the swing seat. The latter energy does not add up to the initial energy. So I ask, where does the energy go?
I still am not seeing why you think conservation of mechanical energy does not apply.

Doc Al said:
I didn't literally guess. I just wasn't sure of the answer, so I used the word "guess". I think the situation is similar to the one walking on ice. For every inch of rope you pull down its original position, your hand reaches 2 inches up the rope (assuming that he stretches two full arm lengths). But since one inch is descended down, the man only advances one inch upward, as does the mass on the other end of the rope.

Doc Al said:

Doc Al said:

You can try an example for yourself. Let's the swing is 2 meters above its bottom point. At the bottom point, all potential energy is converted into kinetic energy of the person and the swing. Now I am saying that KE of the swing-person system does not equal to the combined KE's of the two separate systems, namely the swing and the person after he flies off. I had seen a problem like this, so it's not made up. The original question asked for the speed of the swing after the person jumps off. To find that, conservation of momentum can be applied to solve the problem, but not the conservation of energy. (The two speeds from these two different methods differ.)

Now I have another question in addition to the previous ones, how would you find out the speed of the swing and the person afer they jump off, given only the initial potential energy and the weight of the swing and the person. (This time the speed of the person is not given.) Is this problem possible to solve? Since the conservation of energy does not seem to apply in this case. With the conservation of momentum, I can only obtain one equation with two variable speeds. (I am probably not making a clear explanation, nor asking a clear question. But if anyone can understand, please answer my questions. Thank you.

physics_liker said:
You can try an example for yourself. Let's the swing is 2 meters above its bottom point. At the bottom point, all potential energy is converted into kinetic energy of the person and the swing. Now I am saying that KE of the swing-person system does not equal to the combined KE's of the two separate systems, namely the swing and the person after he flies off. I had seen a problem like this, so it's not made up. The original question asked for the speed of the swing after the person jumps off. To find that, conservation of momentum can be applied to solve the problem, but not the conservation of energy. (The two speeds from these two different methods differ.)
If the person just let's go and flies off, then mechanical energy is conserved. (The person leaves with the same speed as the swing.) But if the person pushes off from the swing as he flies off, then he's adding energy.

1. What is the conservation of momentum and energy in relation to climbing a pulley?

The conservation of momentum and energy refers to the principle that states that the total momentum and energy of a closed system (such as a pulley and a climber) remains constant. This means that the amount of momentum and energy before and after the climb will be the same, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.

2. How does climbing a pulley conserve momentum and energy?

When a climber ascends a pulley, the pulley and climber system is considered a closed system. The pulley itself has a certain amount of momentum and energy, and the climber also has their own momentum and energy. As the climber climbs, the pulley rotates and the climber gains potential energy. However, the total amount of momentum and energy in the system remains constant, as the pulley's momentum decreases and the climber's increases.

3. What is the role of friction in climbing a pulley?

Friction plays a crucial role in climbing a pulley. Without friction, the climber would not be able to grip onto the rope and ascend the pulley. Friction also helps to slow down the rotation of the pulley, which allows for a more controlled and safe climb. However, friction also causes some energy to be lost as heat, which can slightly decrease the conservation of energy in the system.

4. How does the mass of the climber and the pulley affect the conservation of momentum and energy?

The mass of the climber and pulley can affect the conservation of momentum and energy in a few ways. Firstly, a heavier climber will have more momentum and therefore require more energy to climb the pulley. Secondly, a heavier pulley will require more energy to rotate and lift the climber. However, as long as the mass of the system remains constant, the conservation of momentum and energy will still hold true.

5. Are there any factors that could potentially disrupt the conservation of momentum and energy in climbing a pulley?

There are a few factors that could potentially disrupt the conservation of momentum and energy in climbing a pulley. These include external forces such as wind or a sudden push on the climber or pulley, which could change the momentum and energy of the system. Additionally, the presence of friction can also slightly affect the conservation, as some energy may be lost as heat. However, as long as the system remains closed and there are no significant external forces, the conservation of momentum and energy will still hold true.