Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clinton Global Initiative

1. Sep 18, 2005 #1
    He's not done making change! Good for him!

In his closing remarks Saturday the first annual Clinton Global Initiative, the former president promised progress reports on the more than 190 initiatives.

Clinton told participants _ including heads of state and business leaders _ to remember the impact their work can have on future generations, saying "we are so arrogant because we are obsessed with the present."

The three-day event, which coincided with a world summit at the United Nations, included a series of workshops on topics including religious conflict, poverty and the environment.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2005 #2
    I'm actually rather disgruntled with one of Clinton's efforts to effect change. Some of his comments at the seminar in question are rather strong on opinion. yet it seems he failed to present any real argument or evidence to back his position:

Is anyone aware of how Clinton might back that claim?
  4. Sep 18, 2005 #3
    I visited your link. The exchanges (Blair, Murdoch, Clinton) sound conversational. They also give with what I was hearing on the BBC boards in the past weeks - much Bush bashing, little understanding that there is state responsibility as well as federal responsibility, etc.

If Clinton said there was nothing factually inaccurate, I would tend to agree with that - I am aware of very few factual inaccuracies. How would you like him to "back that up?" I would rather expect that Bush (or whoever has an interest in the opposing view) would say "X, Y, and Z are innaccurate."

The problem is the spin on the issue, and selective reporting.

In Houston, for example, there was (1) expectation of increased crime when all those New Orleans folks came over and (2) a headline expressing surprise when crime was unaffected. There is some "hate" there. There is certainly selective reporting! But it is also probably factually accurate - crime has probably remained constant.

Bottom line, I don't really understand your position. Clinton could easily make a list of factual accuracies. If someone thinks there are inaccuracies, they should point them out, and no doubt these exist somewhere.
  5. Sep 18, 2005 #4

Gold Member

Some excerpts from CNN LARRY KING LIVE - Interview With Bill Clinton - Aired September 16, 2005

Here is a little comment that caught my eye:

CLINTON: "...if two smart people are thinking, they're never going to agree all the time."

Some good advice, and I suspect lack of this contributes to problems with the current administration.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2005
  6. Sep 18, 2005 #5
    I'm at a loss to understand your postilion. How do you feel that "Clinton could easily make a list of factual accuracies" when in fact he claimed there were none?

My trouble is with his accusation that the BBC reporting was designed "almost exclusively" to criticize the Administration's response. Best I can tell he failed to substantiate the claim with any evidence and his I question the accuracy of the claim as well as his motivations for making it.
  7. Sep 18, 2005 #6

Staff: Mentor

8. Sep 18, 2005 #7

Gold Member

I'm sure it's not a completely novel idea. And personally I believe he shows that a Democrat can and does take action and doesn't just whimper in the background. In the interview, a lot of the views he expresses are in line with the Dems platform, and no doubt assisting Hillary in getting the message out.

As for the price of admission, I say targeting the top 5-1% of the wealth is great--and both sides of the aisle. Others are included, per the interview:

CLINTON: "...And then, we charge a membership fee to the people who can afford to pay it. And with people who shouldn't have paid, we let a lot of people in, you know, gratis, the advocates and the people that are out there trying to change the world. So that's how we funded it."
  9. Sep 18, 2005 #8
    Why did Clinton deside to have his "Global Initiative" the exact same time as the UN was meeting ? ? ? ?

I hope the democrats (ex or present) have more regard for the UN than Bush did, or it doesnt bode well for its (and our) Future..
  10. Sep 18, 2005 #9

Gold Member

I see your point. In the interview Clinton said the UN meeting was a great time to have additional meetings because members are already in NY at that time. He made it clear he supports the UN (actually he used the word "loves" the UN). However, I also suspect it is another avenue for international cooperation. Neocons want the UN dismantled--In the meantime, Bush and Bolton are trying to subvert any power the UN has had. IMO Clinton and others want to maintain international relations until Bush can be replaced.
  11. Sep 18, 2005 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I don't understand your position. Clinton's project is not at all in competition with the UN. And one good reason to have his meeting when the UN was in opening session was that he would have all of those heads of state in NYC where they could come to it.
  12. Sep 18, 2005 #11
    :uhh: Read what Clinton said again.

13. Sep 18, 2005 #12
    You might try reading that in the context of the article; the report Blair was referring to, and Clinton respectively, is the BBC report in question.
  14. Sep 18, 2005 #13
    OK well what are the inaccuracies?
  15. Sep 18, 2005 #14
  16. Sep 18, 2005 #15
    He claimed there were no inaccuracies. Thus he could easily make a list of accuracies.
  17. Sep 18, 2005 #16
    Yep. I think you hit the nail on the head.
  18. Sep 18, 2005 #17
    Carter used his presidency in a similar fashion to promote democratic values. He continues to do this. Habitat for Humanity is his baby, isn't it?
  19. Sep 18, 2005 #18
    Doh, it seems I mentally I added an "in" to "accuracies" in your statement which I c/p'ed. I apologize for the creating that confusion. :blushing:
    Regardless, my point remains:

20. Sep 18, 2005 #19
    Carter has used his status as ex-president to promote humanitarian causes more than any other president in history to my knowledge. Clinton could do a lot worse than to follow in his footsteps.
  21. Sep 18, 2005 #20
    I agree 100%. I expect he realizes this - and I think SOS 2008 makes an excellent point that he may be trying to offset damage of the current president.

What other living democratic ex-presidents are there? I don't think there are any others....
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?