Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clinton-Obama 2008

1. Oct 20, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Could it happen? It would certainly be a historic ticket.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-ushill1019,0,7352966.story?coll=ny-top-headlines

So far Obama looks very promising but I haven't seen him under fire yet. I don't think he is ready to be President... but then neither was Bush.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2006 #2
    i really liked obama until I found out he was for bombing iran =\

4. Oct 20, 2006 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Could you elaborate? Got a link?

5. Oct 20, 2006 #4
  6. Oct 20, 2006 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The site requires a login, but from that quote it seems pretty inoccuous - a long-in-the-future hypothetical that he won't rule out. Fine.

Anyway, I really like Obama, but I think opinions of Clinton would dominate the ticket. I'm not sure it would matter who she would run with and I certainly wouldn't vote for her just because I like him. VP is mostly a useless post anyway.

7. Oct 20, 2006 #6
    oh it didnt require a login from me, my bad... here I'll post a sizable chunk:

" But if those measures fall short, the United States should not rule out military strikes to destroy nuclear production sites in Iran, Obama said.

"The big question is going to be, if Iran is resistant to these pressures, including economic sanctions, which I hope will be imposed if they do not cooperate, at what point are we going to, if any, are we going to take military action?" Obama asked.

Given the continuing war in Iraq, the United States is not in a position to invade Iran, but missile strikes might be a viable option, he said. Obama conceded that such strikes might further strain relations between the U.S. and the Arab world.

"In light of the fact that we're now in Iraq, with all the problems in terms of perceptions about America that have been created, us launching some missile strikes into Iran is not the optimal position for us to be in," he said.

"On the other hand, having a radical Muslim theocracy in possession of nuclear weapons is worse. So I guess my instinct would be to err on not having those weapons in the possession of the ruling clerics of Iran. ... And I hope it doesn't get to that point. But realistically, as I watch how this thing has evolved, I'd be surprised if Iran blinked at this point."

---

He goes on to contrast muslim extremism with the soviet union, pointing out that it [muslim extremism] is a less predictable ideology with regards to nuclear policy.

He might be right on that, but I'm still not a big fan of war hawks.

8. Oct 20, 2006 #7

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It doesn't seem like a war hawk kind of stance to me.... most of the points are reasonable. And he mentions the possible pit falls and downsides in his plans, which is something not often seen in politics anywhere today

9. Oct 20, 2006 #8

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Rather than Clinton(Hillary)-Obama, I'd like to see Obama-Clinton(Bill). Some legal theorists believe Bill is not precluded by the constitution from running for Vice President, and succeeding if required to the presidency that way.

10. Oct 20, 2006 #9
    I second that motion

11. Oct 20, 2006 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You and I could end up supporting the same candidate? :bugeye:

Hell has froze over, pigs are flying, and I think the stars are blinking out. :biggrin:

I think Oprah saw this coming...

12. Oct 20, 2006 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is interesting; also a historic ticket on a couple of levels!

13. Oct 20, 2006 #12
    you're right, cheney has zero influence over what goes on...

14. Oct 20, 2006 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They shoot people...

15. Oct 20, 2006 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

16. Oct 20, 2006 #15

russ_watters

Ehh, don't sweat it - the Democratic Party'll never let him run anyway. :biggrin:

That's why I think he and McCain should join forces.

17. Oct 20, 2006 #16

Astronuc

Yeah - they would do that.

Now that's an idea :approve:

18. Oct 21, 2006 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Forget it. McCain will never make it to the White House... at least not as President.

I could hardly believe my ears tonight: David Brooks and Mark Shields both endorsed Obama.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2006
  19. Oct 21, 2006 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is certainly poetic justice in the notion that the first black President would emerge from the state of Lincoln.

Here is his website
    http://obama.senate.gov/

20. Nov 10, 2006 #19

Astronuc

Do write off McCain. He is one of the most popular Republicans in the country right now, especially after the recent elections. I think Republicans candidates preferred an appearance by McCain rather than Bush, Cheney or Rumsfeld.

Anyway, the first democrat to declare a candidacy for president in 2008, 15 months before the Iowa Caucuses!
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061110/ap_on_el_pr/democrats2008

I think Obama is too junior, but maybe his popularity will propel him into the VP slot.

Clinton will likely run. :rolleyes:

21. Nov 10, 2006 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

On CNN, Senator Dick Durbin, who describes Obama as a "political phenomenon", just endorsed him as a presidential candidate. He said that with over 30 states under his belt while campaigning this election season, Obama drew large crowds and was extremely well received.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?