Clipper Circuits: Vi vs. Vr Understanding

• Thread starter ranju
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, the diode is forward biased when the input voltage is positive and it is reverse biased when the input voltage is negative.
ranju
In the given circuit. It was given that when Vi>Vr diode will be reverse biased or off..and when Vi<Vr diode will be forward biased... but I am not getting how we infer this..??It may sound a very basic question but its not clear...I am not able to decide it

Attachments

• IMG_20141019_151209.jpg
    IMG_20141019_151209.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 397
Engineering news on Phys.org
For Vin = 0V the diode is ON or OFF?

I have no idea about this.. actually I am not getting the use of the battery Vr..!

Battery (Vr) is nothing more than a voltage source. You are not familiar with a voltage source?

As for the diode. Diode allows current to flow only in one direction (called the diode's forward direction), while blocking current in the opposite direction (the reverse direction).

111.PNG

Forward-biased diode (diode is ON)
Vf.PNG
Reverse-biased diode (diode is OFF)

VR.PNG

IR isn't 0. It is just small.

zoki85 said:
IR isn't 0. It is just small.
Well yes, but I don't want to confuse the OP. And you can read from the first picture the reverse current is typically in nanoamps range

yes I know Vr is voltage source ,but here it is affecting the bias of diode whether forward or reverse..but how its being decided.

If we set Vin = 0V, then you can replace Vin with a short wire.
So the circuit will looks like this:

5.PNG

And now can you tell me in which state the diode is, ON or OFF? And Vo is ?

Last edited:
It seems to be in reverse bias..!

Yes, diode is reverse biased. But what about Vo voltage? Any clues?

its in rever biase ..so it'll be open , so output V0 will be Vr..>!

no..actually considering the polarity of battery , V0 will be -Vr.

Yes, very good Vo = -vr. So if we assume that Vr = 2V then Vo = -2V

OK, so now let as try to find Vo if Vi is larger than 0V. For example Vi = 5V

10.PNG

The voltage at cathode is 5V and the voltage at anode is -2V. So voltage across the diode is equal to Vd = -2V - 5V = -7V.
And this means that diode is OFF(Reverse-biased) and Vo = -2V.

Now let as change the polarity of the Vi voltage source from +5V into -5V.

5.PNG

This time diode is forward biased because Vd is positive. Vd = Vo - Vi = -2V - (-5V) = 3V. And this is why the diode will conduct current.
And Vo = -4.3V.
So we can conclude that the diode will be ON only if input voltage (Vi) is 0.7V voltage lower than Vr voltage.
Diode is ON if Vin < -2.7V

Likes ranju
but if we take Vi=1V then diode will be reverse biase even if Vi=-1V.. since Vd= -2-(-1)=-1V..so it will not conduct..!

Jony130 said:
So we can conclude that the diode will be ON only if input voltage (Vi) is 0.7V voltage lower than Vr voltage.
Diode is ON if Vin < -2.7V
I did'nt get this point..how can you generalise it.>??

ranju said:
but if we take Vi=1V then diode will be reverse biase even if Vi=-1V.. since Vd= -2-(-1)=-1V..so it will not conduct..!
Yes exactly. Diode will conduct only if Vin is lower than -2.7V

ranju said:
I did'nt get this point..how can you generalise it.>??
What you don't understand here?
When diode conduct, the voltage drop across the diode is around 0.5V...0.7V.
This means that Vin voltage must be 0.7V lower than Vr voltage to force diode to conduct.
For Vr = 2V input voltage need to be lower than -2.7V

Last edited:
ohkk ..so for solving the clipper circuits.. we should proceed in this way only..?? I mean assuming values of unknowns ( Vr & Vin)..then find the bias of diode..??

No it is not necessary, but this "method" help us visualize the situation much better.

1. What is the purpose of a clipper circuit?

A clipper circuit is used to limit or "clip" the output voltage to a certain level. This is useful in situations where the input voltage may vary and needs to be controlled to prevent damage to the circuit.

2. What is the difference between Vi and Vr in a clipper circuit?

Vi refers to the input voltage, which is the voltage being applied to the circuit. Vr is the voltage at the output, which is the voltage that has been limited or clipped by the circuit.

3. How does a clipper circuit work?

A clipper circuit uses diodes to limit the output voltage. When the input voltage exceeds a certain threshold, the diode becomes forward biased and allows current to flow, effectively clipping the output voltage to a certain level.

4. Can a clipper circuit be used for both positive and negative voltages?

Yes, a clipper circuit can be designed to limit both positive and negative voltages. This is achieved by using diodes in both the positive and negative halves of the circuit.

5. What are some common applications of clipper circuits?

Clipper circuits are commonly used in power supplies, signal conditioning, and audio amplifiers. They can also be used in voltage regulators and voltage limiters in electronic devices.