Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clippers In Diodes

1. Jun 2, 2012 #1
    Observe the attached figure, and the associated graph, shouldn't be like the opposite of this graph?

If it is positive the first half the current should pass the diode and it is on, no?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

The output of the clipper is vo. The clipper removes the positive pulses from vo. The diode conducts on the positive peaks, limiting their swing at 0.6v

4. Jun 2, 2012 #3
    Why does it remove the positive pulses?

5. Jun 2, 2012 #4
    Why not the negative one?

6. Jun 2, 2012 #5

NascentOxygen

The diode doesn't conduct when it is reverse biased, so it is effectively not present for negative excursions of vo thus negative pulses are not clipped and they remain unaffected.

The input is on the left, the output is the voltage on the right. Maybe it would be clearer if the line marked "—" were to be labelled "ground". https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon6.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  7. Jun 2, 2012 #6
    Please elaborate more, I know that the diode doesn't conduct when it is reverse biased.
    Here we have Vi as input voltage, and as you can see in the figure it should be forward biased for positive input voltage, and thus we should remove the negative pulse - not the opposite.

8. Jun 2, 2012 #7

NascentOxygen

The diode conducts on the positive peaks so they don't make it to the output.

9. Jun 2, 2012 #8
    Hmm, probably my question is not very clear, right?
    The diode allows the passage of voltage if it is in a way that goes along with the pointer head "arrow like" and this " | " or in other words if "Vp-Vn>0".
    Let me post my question in a different way: here if voltage from input passes through the diode when it gives a positive pulse, will it be forward biased or not? And why? With details please.

10. Jun 2, 2012 #9
    And thanks for your time in advance

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook