1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clipping Detector Circuit

1. Apr 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am building an audio equalizer as a project for class, consisting of a summing amplifier with variable gain for the bass, midrange, and treble frequencies. I also have the option to include a clipping/overload detector, though I have already chosen parameters that will not allow the output to go over 2 volts, given a maximum 3V input.

[edit] To clarify, I've already built the equalizer; I'm just trying to implement the clipping detector.

2. Relevant equations
    n/a

3. The attempt at a solution
    Could I implement this with a transistor, and if so, how? One of the stipulations of the assignment is also to use as few and as simple components as possible, so is there a solution comprised of solely R(L)C components?

I'm not really sure how to calculate the values at which current in a transistor are switched, so if I could get some pointers that would be helpful. Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2009 #2

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Well, since this is homework, I'll just give you a hint: what is the definition of clipping (relative to your power rails) and how might you use, say, a comparator or op-amp to detect this?

4. Apr 20, 2009 #3
    Ah...wonder why I didn't see that before...

Thanks!

5. Apr 20, 2009 #4

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Experience. Also, TA'ing a senior, build-yourself-some-electronics lab. Actually, I forgot a point. What's the likelihood that your signal will exceed your supply rails? How would you go about getting the comparator / op-amp to trigger at a voltage a little less (maybe a lot less, depending on your expected maximum output voltage) than your supply rail?

6. Apr 20, 2009 #5
    Since the output is never more than around 2V, very little chance, as my rails are set to 12 and -12 Vcc. If it did, I could just make a voltage divider by running a resistor with an appropriate value to ground, right?

7. Apr 21, 2009 #6

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

That's correct, and is basically how most of these circuits works. They get fancier by doing things like noise rejection, triggering only if it clips for a certain interval, dynamic threshold setting, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook