Cliques on PF website

What virtual social networks have emerged from the discussions at Physics Forums? Do members of PF often enjoy instances of actual rendezvous? Would you count posters here among your best friends?

Answers and Replies

I tend not to become very socially involved with anyone I meet on forums but I have become very good friends with people through other types of internet communities before.

JamesU
Gold Member
actually, I'm pretty sure that some people in the general discussion forum are people that you do not want to meet in person (nothing personal danger :tongue: )

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think most of us here have outgrown cliques. On any internet forum, I'm cautious about who I exchange personal information with, but I'm more inclined to want to actually meet people from here in real life than I am to meet people from other forums I visit. Haven't met anyone yet...but I'm really up for the idea of the Disney rendezvous with ZZ and anyone else who can make it whenever that happens.

Evo
Mentor
I feel very close to several of the members here and they have my "real" e-mail address. :surprised

I would love to meet some of the members in person, but haven't yet. I'm pretty good at determining the character of people and picking up on subtle things in behavior and personalities. I have met people in person that I first met over the internet and I've never guessed wrong about a person, so I feel pretty confident about my choices.

I feel that several people here at PF are my friends, they are definitely great people.

Tsu
Gold Member
Thanks, Sis. Back at ya!! :biggrin:

Ivan and I have become very good friends with Intergral and his wife. I got to do some critter-sitting for them while they were in Disneyland earlier this month. We go out for Thai and get together for barbeques at each others houses. Integral makes a WONDERFUL tri-tip roast on his barbeque and has a sweet puppy and BEAUTIFUL cats. :smile: His wife is REALLY WEIRD (like ME :biggrin:) - and I LIKE her a LOT!!!!

Last edited:
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Tsu said:
Ivan and I have become very good friends
Oooh, I read that bit and was impressed by the capabilities of PF. :buggrin:

brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Generally, this forum seems a pretty safe, happy place, I like it. Obviously you can never be too careful, but if any of the North England crew were ever nearby then I'd be happy to go for a pint or two...

Loren Booda said:
What virtual social networks have emerged from the discussions at Physics Forums?
I'd hereby like to create a North of England clique. Matthyaow, ic, you're already in. Big up!

Last edited:
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
brewnog said:
. . . but if any of the North England crew were ever nearby then I'd be happy to go for a pint or two...

I'd hereby like to create a North of England clique. Matthyaow, ic, you're already in. Big up!
That's worth a trip to Manchester. Now I just need to convince the company. :biggrin:

brewnog said:
Generally, this forum seems a pretty safe, happy place, I like it. Obviously you can never be too careful, but if any of the North England crew were ever nearby then I'd be happy to go for a pint or two...

Yay!! We should have bi-monthly meetings in Leeds. Brewnog, you can be the president of the club. Matthyaouw can take the minutes and I'll be the floor. I propose the motion that we have to get really drunk on JD at all our bi-monthly meetings. Let's open the motion to the floor....

Evo
Mentor
Loren Booda said:
What virtual social networks have emerged from the discussions at Physics Forums?
The most notable would have to be the PF Sisterhood (aka Nuns with Guns). :approve:

icvotria said:
Yay!! We should have bi-monthly meetings in Leeds. Brewnog, you can be the president of the club. Matthyaouw can take the minutes and I'll be the floor. I propose the motion that we have to get really drunk on JD at all our bi-monthly meetings. Let's open the motion to the floor....
rofl, you brits are awesome.

I wish I was in one of the PF cliques, but as people here can tell, from how I act, I am quite a jackass. :cool:

Evo
Mentor
mattmns said:
I wish I was in one of the PF cliques, but as people here can tell, from how I act, I am quite a jackass. :cool:
You're one of the Thread Killers.

I guess one could argue that; however, I have been hardly active in the thread for the last 3k posts or so.

Evo
Mentor
mattmns said:
I guess one could argue that; however, I have been hardly active in the thread for the last 3k posts or so.
3k posts = 2 days :wink:

We always think of you and you are a ray of sunshine in the thread. :approve:

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
mattmns said:
That's your own fault. Nobody kicked you out. We welcome your company (at least those of us who are still sane do). :biggrin:

Danger
Gold Member
Moonbear said:
those of us who are still sane do). :biggrin:
And just how do you justify including yourself in that group?

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Danger said:
And just how do you justify including yourself in that group?
Compared to my company in there lately, I'm definitely still among the most sane there. :tongue:

Danger
Gold Member
Moonbear said:
Compared to my company in there lately, I'm definitely still among the most sane there. :tongue:
Point taken. But if you qualify, then so do I, and that just doesn't seem right.

Have none of you discerned my keen double entendre - "Clicks on PF website"?

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Loren Booda said:
:rofl: I completely missed it. :rofl:

Loren Booda said:
Lol... quite keen.

Danger
Gold Member
Loren Booda said:
Sorry, no. It's pronounced 'cleek' up here.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Danger said:
Sorry, no. It's pronounced 'cleek' up here.
Bad enough you spell stuff funny up there, now you have to pronounce it funny too? :biggrin: :rofl:

brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
icvotria said:
Yay!! We should have bi-monthly meetings in Leeds. Brewnog, you can be the president of the club. Matthyaouw can take the minutes and I'll be the floor.
You'll be on the floor, you mean?

I propose the motion that we have to get really drunk on JD at all our bi-monthly meetings. Let's open the motion to the floor....
Woo woo!