Are There Real Life Cliques Forming on Physics Forums?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary, the members of PF seem to be close friends, and virtual social networks have emerged from the discussions at Physics Forums.
Loren Booda
What virtual social networks have emerged from the discussions at Physics Forums? Do members of PF often enjoy instances of actual rendezvous? Would you count posters here among your best friends?

Physics news on Phys.org
I tend not to become very socially involved with anyone I meet on forums but I have become very good friends with people through other types of internet communities before.

actually, I'm pretty sure that some people in the general discussion forum are people that you do not want to meet in person (nothing personal danger :tongue: )

I think most of us here have outgrown cliques. On any internet forum, I'm cautious about who I exchange personal information with, but I'm more inclined to want to actually meet people from here in real life than I am to meet people from other forums I visit. Haven't met anyone yet...but I'm really up for the idea of the Disney rendezvous with ZZ and anyone else who can make it whenever that happens.

I feel very close to several of the members here and they have my "real" e-mail address.

I would love to meet some of the members in person, but haven't yet. I'm pretty good at determining the character of people and picking up on subtle things in behavior and personalities. I have met people in person that I first met over the internet and I've never guessed wrong about a person, so I feel pretty confident about my choices.

I feel that several people here at PF are my friends, they are definitely great people.

Thanks, Sis. Back at ya! :biggrin:

Ivan and I have become very good friends with Intergral and his wife. I got to do some critter-sitting for them while they were in Disneyland earlier this month. We go out for Thai and get together for barbeques at each others houses. Integral makes a WONDERFUL tri-tip roast on his barbeque and has a sweet puppy and BEAUTIFUL cats. :smile: His wife is REALLY WEIRD (like ME :biggrin:) - and I LIKE her a LOT!

Last edited:
Tsu said:
Ivan and I have become very good friends
Oooh, I read that bit and was impressed by the capabilities of PF. :buggrin:

Generally, this forum seems a pretty safe, happy place, I like it. Obviously you can never be too careful, but if any of the North England crew were ever nearby then I'd be happy to go for a pint or two...

Loren Booda said:
What virtual social networks have emerged from the discussions at Physics Forums?

I'd hereby like to create a North of England clique. Matthyaow, ic, you're already in. Big up!

Last edited:
brewnog said:
. . . but if any of the North England crew were ever nearby then I'd be happy to go for a pint or two...

I'd hereby like to create a North of England clique. Matthyaow, ic, you're already in. Big up!
That's worth a trip to Manchester. Now I just need to convince the company. :biggrin:

brewnog said:
Generally, this forum seems a pretty safe, happy place, I like it. Obviously you can never be too careful, but if any of the North England crew were ever nearby then I'd be happy to go for a pint or two...

Yay! We should have bi-monthly meetings in Leeds. Brewnog, you can be the president of the club. Matthyaouw can take the minutes and I'll be the floor. I propose the motion that we have to get really drunk on JD at all our bi-monthly meetings. Let's open the motion to the floor...

Loren Booda said:
What virtual social networks have emerged from the discussions at Physics Forums?
The most notable would have to be the PF Sisterhood (aka Nuns with Guns). :approve:

icvotria said:
Yay! We should have bi-monthly meetings in Leeds. Brewnog, you can be the president of the club. Matthyaouw can take the minutes and I'll be the floor. I propose the motion that we have to get really drunk on JD at all our bi-monthly meetings. Let's open the motion to the floor...
rofl, you brits are awesome.

I wish I was in one of the PF cliques, but as people here can tell, from how I act, I am quite a jackass. :cool:

mattmns said:
I wish I was in one of the PF cliques, but as people here can tell, from how I act, I am quite a jackass. :cool:
You're one of the Thread Killers.

I guess one could argue that; however, I have been hardly active in the thread for the last 3k posts or so.

mattmns said:
I guess one could argue that; however, I have been hardly active in the thread for the last 3k posts or so.
3k posts = 2 days :wink:

We always think of you and you are a ray of sunshine in the thread. :approve:

mattmns said:
That's your own fault. Nobody kicked you out. We welcome your company (at least those of us who are still sane do). :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
those of us who are still sane do). :biggrin:
And just how do you justify including yourself in that group?

Danger said:
And just how do you justify including yourself in that group?
Compared to my company in there lately, I'm definitely still among the most sane there. :tongue:

Moonbear said:
Compared to my company in there lately, I'm definitely still among the most sane there. :tongue:
Point taken. But if you qualify, then so do I, and that just doesn't seem right.

Have none of you discerned my keen double entendre - "Clicks on PF website"?

Loren Booda said:
:rofl: I completely missed it. :rofl:

Loren Booda said:
Lol... quite keen.

Loren Booda said:
Sorry, no. It's pronounced 'cleek' up here.

Danger said:
Sorry, no. It's pronounced 'cleek' up here.
Bad enough you spell stuff funny up there, now you have to pronounce it funny too? :biggrin: :rofl:

icvotria said:
Yay! We should have bi-monthly meetings in Leeds. Brewnog, you can be the president of the club. Matthyaouw can take the minutes and I'll be the floor.

You'll be on the floor, you mean?

I propose the motion that we have to get really drunk on JD at all our bi-monthly meetings. Let's open the motion to the floor...

Woo woo!

Evo said:
I feel very close to several of the members here and they have my "real" e-mail address.

Err, no i don't and i feel you everyday Evo

marlon

Moonbear said:
Bad enough you spell stuff funny up there, now you have to pronounce it funny too? :biggrin: :rofl:

Sorry Ms Bear, it's pronounced "cleek" here too, and it's my language. :smile:

marlon said:
Err, no i don't and i feel you everyday Evo

marlon
You never asked.

Evo<-----enjoys getting felt by Marlon everyday. :approve:

Evo said:
You never asked.
:rofl: you are very pragmatic...just my kind of girl

Evo<-----enjoys getting felt by Marlon everyday. :approve:

so...i am asking...you know...you can have my email too...
marlon

I have some close friends in other forums and we write to each other sometimes but here I haven't been successful. :cry:
But maybe I'd be successful at making lots of enemies :wink: Believe me,I'm a master in this case! :approve:

Last edited:
brewnog said:

Hooray!
I'm in favour of Ic's whisky motion too (though would prefer scotch to JD... all in favour?)

Scotch me up man!

There's another forum I post at whose members are predominantly from the LA area and I met up with a big group of them once when I was still living there. That's about it. I know there are at least a couple of people here that live in the Bay Area. I'd make a good tour guide for your Disneyland trip, since I used to work there. I'm not familiar with the Florida parks, though, so if you're going there, I'd be useless.

1. What are cliques in the context of Physics Forums?

Cliques on Physics Forums refer to groups of individuals who share similar interests and often interact with each other on the forum. These groups can form based on various factors such as research interests, academic backgrounds, or social connections.

2. Are cliques a common occurrence on Physics Forums?

Yes, cliques are a common occurrence on Physics Forums, just like in any other online community. The forum's large and diverse user base naturally leads to the formation of smaller groups with shared interests or backgrounds.

3. Do cliques have a negative impact on the forum's community?

Not necessarily. While cliques can sometimes lead to exclusion of other members or biased discussions, they can also foster a sense of community and encourage collaboration among members with similar interests.

4. How can I avoid feeling left out by cliques on Physics Forums?

If you feel left out by cliques on Physics Forums, there are a few things you can do. First, try to actively participate in discussions and engage with other members. This can help you build connections and potentially become a part of existing cliques. Additionally, you can also reach out to moderators or forum administrators if you feel like cliques are causing any issues on the forum.

5. Is it possible to break into existing cliques on Physics Forums?

Yes, it is possible to break into existing cliques on Physics Forums by actively participating in discussions and engaging with other members. Additionally, you can also create your own discussions or groups based on your interests and invite other members to join, potentially forming new cliques.